BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Thoughts about the new F900XR  (Read 328 times)

Offline ginson03

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GSA
  • Town / City: Decatur
Thoughts about the new F900XR
« on: February 25, 2020, 03:53:49 AM »
Just curious how folks are feeling about the new F900XR, anyone with first hand acoounts or reviews. I like the look, what I have read has been pretty positive. My GSA looks lonely at times,maybe a playmate would help.

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Bellingham
Re: Thoughts about the new F900XR
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 11:08:03 AM »
Looks fun but if you look at the bike stats, it's kind of a porky bike for what it is. The S1000R is lighter than that, other bikes that would be comparable are also lighter.

It looks fun and if the pricing were about 11k USD it'd be a reasonable bargain but I wouldn't get one. My eye is still lustfully on the R1250RS/RT or an electric bike for future stuff, at least in the 2 wheel category.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 11:08:37 AM by Newguy »

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 01:56:16 PM »
For me, if you already have an 850 then the 900XR isnít going to be much different as itís basically a slightly bored-out version of the same engine with 10hp and a few Nm torque extra, which will steer quicker due to the 17Ē front wheel. To me as a road only bike this would have been much better without a chain as it would have made a great tourer. I was a previous owner of both the F800ST and GT and losing the belt drive (despite its shortcomings) is IMHO a backward step. Shaft drive would probably make an already heavy bike for the engine size even more porky.
Given that itís only £3K or so cheaper than an S1000XR, and that bike is a not dissimilar weight and far more exciting than the 850 series engine, other than those whose budget simply cannot stretch to the S1000, I canít see who would want the 900?

Online Gazza750

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Adventure
  • Town / City: Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 11:58:28 PM »
*Originally Posted by ginson03 [+]
Just curious how folks are feeling about the new F900XR, anyone with first hand acoounts or reviews. I like the look, what I have read has been pretty positive. My GSA looks lonely at times,maybe a playmate would help.

If you've already got the 850GSA then add an 900XR, it would be like owning a Mini Countryman and buying a Mini Cooper too. Yes they're both different cars, but the engines are (virtually) the same and they share too similarities to justify the cost. Just my humble opinion obviously 😁

Offline ginson03

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GSA
  • Town / City: Decatur
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 02:29:32 AM »
I agree, logical conclusion. As retirement dwindles away, so does any thought of a new member to the family. If I were to consider anything at this point it would be a Mini, mini bike that is.