BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Head bearing tool  (Read 1387 times)

Offline MCMXCIVRS

• GS Member
  • Town / City: CALGARY
Re: Head bearing tool
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2020, 02:46:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Ed74mnd [+]
It's a knock or clunk when you hit bumps. It's unmistakable when you feel it.

That was what I was sensing in mine and subsequently checked and found the bearings loose.

*Originally Posted by RadioFlyer [+]
I don't have a 750/850 but have been lurking here as a way to learn about the bikes as a future consideration. It struck me that those special wrenches probably could easily be 3D printed given the low torque of 15 Nm. I could do a design with the cooperation of someone having the steering head apart who could take photos and measurements of the nuts. Also its not evident how and why the two tools work together so an explanation and photos would help.

It looks as though they repurposed an existing pin socket with an new adapter to make it fit this application. I just made mine as a single socket to fit the nut, can't see any reason for this complicated two part tool, but then I'm not a BMW engineer.  :153:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 02:53:08 PM by MCMXCIVRS »

Offline RadioFlyer

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Pakenham
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2020, 04:43:57 PM »
Is the purpose of the 31 3 723 adapter just to make the 31 3 721 pin wrench longer in order to reach the nut?

Offline MCMXCIVRS

• GS Member
  • Town / City: CALGARY
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2020, 11:10:29 PM »
The socket does not need to be all that deep, I made mine from a 2" length of pipe. Even if it was a depth thing, why a two piece arrangement?