BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Bar back risers from Amazon  (Read 714 times)

Offline RIMark

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Wakefield, RI
Bar back risers from Amazon
« on: February 13, 2020, 01:03:46 AM »
Hi Guys,
I bought these bar back risers on Amazon for $26

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X4TWKZ5/

... similar items are available on eBay for $15.  These risers move the handlebar up 23mm and back 20mm.  Low prices scare me, they raise all kinds of questions concerning the quality of the materials and manufacturing tolerances.  That said, the seller claims that these $26 risers are made of CNC 6061-T6 Aluminum Alloy which, if my limited knowledge of metallurgy is correct, is an appropriate material for the job.  The four hex bolts that came with the risers appeared to be of good quality.
I shopped for better quality riser that would move the handlebar rearward but there were none available from the usual suspects (Wunderlich, Hornig, SW Motech, and Touratech).  I did find some barback riser by ROX but they only fit the F850GS, not my F750GS (different diameter handlebar?) 
So, throwing caution to the wind, I mounded up my new $26 risers.  They installed very easily and, function-wise, they fit perfectly.  Cosmetically there are a few errors in the casting, the edges don't line up exactly with the edges of the factory mounting or with the factory bridge but overall, not bad.  There was no binding or pulling on any of the wiring, cables, or hoses and the only adjustments I had to make were to the mirror/clutch lever/brake lever angles.  I gave the new setup an 80 mile test ride today and I was very pleased with the new handlebar position, it is surprising that the 20mm back would make as much difference as it did.  Looks like a winner!  :062:   
What do think?  Too cheap to be safe or good to go? :034:

RI Mark F750GS

Offline Gazza750

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Adventure
  • Town / City: Yorkshire
Re: Bar back risers from Amazon
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2020, 10:04:30 PM »
I've been considering these too, but like you, I keep questioning the integrity and quality of the product - maybe for all the wrong reasons? Would they crack or break if I drop the bike etc? I'm very cautious and cynical when things are 'cheap', especially when it's a safety critical product. In my experience things are usually cheap for a reason.

On the other hand they could actually be genuinely good value, totally reliable and a true bargain - which does happen from time to time.

But for me I'm tempted to follow my gut instinct and stay clear, or buy a proven branded quality version instead (peace of mind etc).

Let us know how you get on in with them in the next few weeks, it will be interesting to read your feedback...

Offline RIMark

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Wakefield, RI
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 11:13:51 PM »
Hi Gazza750, thanks for your input on the issue.  I agree with you, I too would rather buy a proven brand but none of the recognized provider sell bar back risers of this design.  Maybe that is the problem, maybe the design itself is questionable.  That said, a fellow club member that I run into once in a while at the local BMW shop has had these cheapo riser on his R1200RS for a few years and he has had no problem with them.  Since I installed the risers I've ridden a several hundred miles with no issues, no flex, no movement, no readjustments, just glorious comfort.  Would I rather that they cost several times as much and came from Touratech or Wunderlich, you bet, and when one of the recognized vendors produce a similar bar back riser I'll probably replace these but until then, these seem plenty sturdy and I am not concerned with their structural integrity. 
Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. :169: 
RI Mark F750GS

Offline Gazza750

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Adventure
  • Town / City: Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 11:23:59 PM »
Thanks RIMark for the feedback - I'm much more tempted to give them a go now 👍🏻

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 01:08:12 AM »
There wouldn't be much of an issue scribing and filing the casting mistake to match the upper clamp...
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...