BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Bar back risers from Amazon  (Read 112 times)

Offline RIMark

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Wakefield, RI
Bar back risers from Amazon
« on: February 13, 2020, 01:03:46 AM »
Hi Guys,
I bought these bar back risers on Amazon for $26

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07X4TWKZ5/

... similar items are available on eBay for $15.  These risers move the handlebar up 23mm and back 20mm.  Low prices scare me, they raise all kinds of questions concerning the quality of the materials and manufacturing tolerances.  That said, the seller claims that these $26 risers are made of CNC 6061-T6 Aluminum Alloy which, if my limited knowledge of metallurgy is correct, is an appropriate material for the job.  The four hex bolts that came with the risers appeared to be of good quality.
I shopped for better quality riser that would move the handlebar rearward but there were none available from the usual suspects (Wunderlich, Hornig, SW Motech, and Touratech).  I did find some barback riser by ROX but they only fit the F850GS, not my F750GS (different diameter handlebar?) 
So, throwing caution to the wind, I mounded up my new $26 risers.  They installed very easily and, function-wise, they fit perfectly.  Cosmetically there are a few errors in the casting, the edges don't line up exactly with the edges of the factory mounting or with the factory bridge but overall, not bad.  There was no binding or pulling on any of the wiring, cables, or hoses and the only adjustments I had to make were to the mirror/clutch lever/brake lever angles.  I gave the new setup an 80 mile test ride today and I was very pleased with the new handlebar position, it is surprising that the 20mm back would make as much difference as it did.  Looks like a winner!  :062:   
What do think?  Too cheap to be safe or good to go? :034:

RI Mark F750GS