BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Puncture repair.  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Sooty01

• GS Pro
  • Town / City: Leeds
Puncture repair.
« on: June 06, 2018, 07:24:14 PM »
Hopefully now the F850 has tubeless tyres being stranded with a puncture will be less frequent.
I have tried various plugging kits with limited success. The one I find best and almost fool proof is  made by Bell and was available from Halfords.

Select the right size screw to fit the Puncture, screw it into the tyre until the bobble on the end enters the tyre, snap off the handle, re inflate and ride cautiously until the tyre is swapped or a permanent repair is done. Works very well. Before I found this kit I used to use posidrive decking screws.

The little compressor was only a fiver from a petrol station. It inflates to over 40psi but takes some time. My GS800 standard accessory  socket trips out so I added a lighter socket connected to the battery via a fuse.

Offline Snakenrose

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Clitheroe
Re: Puncture repair.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 08:29:00 PM »
I have a mini compressor like that but the socket on the 850 only takes a din plug.  How will that work? Can I get an adaptor or will Ihave to wire in a 12v socket directly to the battery if possible?

Offline MattR

• Forum Help and Support
  • GS Member
  • Town / City: Bristol
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2018, 11:16:36 AM »
Snakenrose - just curious, did you follow up of this with the plug. Wondered if you rewired it ?

Offline Snakenrose

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Clitheroe
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2018, 05:28:44 PM »
Hi there....I haven't done anything as yet.....my bike has been recalled.....

Offline chubbybrown

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Highland
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 09:18:45 PM »
THanks for the plug suggestion, I have been looking at some sort of kit for a trip without going too overboard with weight

Online duncanmacster

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GSA Tour
  • Town / City: Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 06:00:51 AM »
snakenrose: "I have a mini compressor like that but the socket on the 850 only takes a din plug.  How will that work? Can I get an adaptor or will I have to wire in a 12v socket directly to the battery if possible?"

Get a "pigtail" ie SAE plug to eyelets. You fasten the eyelets to the terminals of you battery and leave the SAE plug peeking out below your saddle. That is where you plug in your tyre inflator.
Just want to ride

Online duncanmacster

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GSA Tour
  • Town / City: Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 06:04:58 AM »
I have ordered a Rocky Creek Designs tool. Very compact and, I am told, good quality.

Just want to ride