BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: F850GS - Original windscreen + Wunderlich add-on spoiler VARIO-ERGO 3D  (Read 2718 times)

Offline alin156

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Bucharest
Re: F850GS - Original windscreen + Wunderlich add-on spoiler VARIO-ERG
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2020, 06:32:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by harrij19 [+]
Just a follow up to the European LED lights not fitting the Madstad winglets (the LEDs appear smaller than US ones).  I am expecting my Madstad in Switzerland any day now.  I will be intrigued with the shape, and challenge to fit. :018:

I installed the winglets around the LED lights without any issues. It's only a matter of sliding them in the correct way

Offline harrij19

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Arisdorf
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2020, 09:59:38 PM »
You see.  Well done you.  I looked at the pics of both models and was a little confuse as to why they wouldn't.  Are you happy with the screen?

Offline alin156

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2020, 07:40:53 AM »
Yes, very happy.

I have it set at maximum height and about 1/3 from the most vertical position, took some trial and error to find this sweet spot (22" screen, i am 1.86, have the high seat and the top of the screen is around my nose). Up to 100 km/h I can ride without issues, even with the visor up. Higher than that it still gets loud that you need earplugs, but it's much better than without it.

I 'found out' how good it deflects wind in the rain, as I had to stand up every 2 min to blow some air to clear the visor of raindrops

Offline MJB

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: Auckland
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2020, 12:33:27 AM »
Areyourshop Adjustable ABS Motorcycle Windshield WindScreen for B-M-W F750GS/F850GS 2018-2019 https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B085NT9TTC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tau_PXw4Eb88FVA71

I came across this on Amazon. Anyone tried it?

Offline KSD

• GS Pro
  • Town / City: Toruń
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2020, 10:15:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by MJB [+]
I came across this on Amazon. Anyone tried it?

Windshield you are asking about, is similar in construction to Givi Airflow and Puig 3179W. In my opinion, it can be also similar in practice. Unfortunately, I tested the two mentioned above and up to about 90 km/h is very good, but above this speed, the turbulence on the helmet was so high, that it completely disqualifies them in my opinion.

Offline MJB

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Auckland
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2020, 12:07:14 AM »
Thanks KSD, looks like it is worth the extra bucks to go the Madstad route.

Offline Jessedog

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: 850gs
  • Town / City: Port Macquarie
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2020, 12:17:35 AM »
I had the Madstad on my 700GS and it worked great, now you can't get them in Australia anymore so so I have gone the MRA Vario screen. Still a bit low for me so I added the adjustable riser mechanism from the ADV 850. Better, but still some turbulence at higher speeds. Took off the visor from the shoei X2 and voila! Success at last!

Offline harrij19

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Arisdorf
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2020, 12:47:54 PM »
I live in Switzerland but ordered by tinterweb directly to Madstad in Miami.  Hey presto one week later..on my machine. Very happy.

There is a slack jawed stealer in UK who sells at exterminate rates, and also unpackages the winglets, and sells them at a huge extra mark up.  I have no idea how he sleeps straight in bed :-)

The screen is fabulous.  I am 189cm 6-2 in the old money.  Ordered the 22 inch and it has returned my sanity and ability to listen to music, listen and make calls, and generally enjoy long touring.

Offline jsantos

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: F 850 GS 2018
  • Town / City: Porto
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2020, 12:08:23 PM »
Hello!

I'm very unhappy with the GIVI windscreen D5127ST. I'm 511, and wind buffeting around my Shoei Neotec 2 above 100 km/h is crazy, and all my highway segments are very unpleasant.

After reading many positive reviews about the Madstad windscreen, but they are from USA. I'm concerned with the custom clearance taxes if I order them directly from USA.

Is it possible to order them from an official dealer in EU?

Also wich one should I order? The 20" or the 22"? My height is on the transition zone.

Thanks in advance and safe rides!

Offline alin156

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2020, 12:32:25 PM »
You could ask our local post office what are the import taxes (there are some several websites that calculate it).

I did find the screen sold by someone in the UK, but it was 100 gbp more than shipping it from the US + all the taxes... so total ripoff

Regarding the height - the higher the better, but the madstad guys could give you better advice