BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: F850GS - Original windscreen + Wunderlich add-on spoiler VARIO-ERGO 3D  (Read 1648 times)

Offline KSD

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: Toruń
Has anyone tested the connection of the original windshield of the F850GS motorcycle with the Wunderlich add-on spoiler VARIO-ERGO 3D? Is there any improvement in wind protection? Does it make sense?

Offline RIMark

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Wakefield, RI
Re: F850GS - Original windscreen + Wunderlich add-on spoiler VARIO-ERG
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2020, 01:31:36 AM »
I can't address the Wunderlich add-on spoiler but for reference I run a F850GS windscreen with a Puig clip-on deflector, it is a little smaller than the Wunderlich unit.  I would expect the the Vario-Ergo 3D would work well, I'm very happy with my Puig Clip-On, it works for me but I'm 5'8", your mileage my vary.  The clip-on deflector makes a big difference as far a buffeting goes.  On a related topic, Winglets are also a nice ungrade, I'm using Madstad winglets and they make a huge difference it quieting the turbulence in the cockpit.  Madstads work well on US bikes but European bikes generally have LED turn signals and the Madstad winglets don't fit.  It is my understanding that the Puig winglets are a better choice for bikes with LED turn signals.  Too much information, I got off track a little.  Hope this helps.  Cheers.  :821:
RI Mark F750GS

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: London
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2020, 08:01:51 AM »
Against I canít speak about the Wunderlich spoiler, I have the stock screen on my F850 with the MRA X-screen. It does something but Iím not entirely sure itís all that positive - maybe a bit less buffeting. Iíve found that with whatever screen and setup on either the 750 or 850 and Iíve never been able to get rid of buffeting entirely. In fact the best options Iíve found are just the small stock screen or the Madstad bracket and a barn door screen.

Offline Mnmadeira

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: BMW F750GS
  • Town / City: Ottawa
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 10:28:45 PM »
Iím suffering with buffeting on my 750. When I get up I just hear the swift wind through my helmet. Back to the seat itís that loud buffeting sound. Any solution?

Offline alin156

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Bucharest
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2020, 12:54:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mnmadeira [+]
I’m suffering with buffeting on my 750. When I get up I just hear the swift wind through my helmet. Back to the seat it’s that loud buffeting sound. Any solution?

I rode my 750 with the stock windshield, had it replaced for free with the 'tall one' (stock of 850 GS), which made matters even worse. I finally installed on it the the MadStad adjustable screen https://madstad.com/collections/bmw/products/bmw-f750-850gs-2018?variant=20194585018481 the 22" version (I am 186 cm tall and in the top position, the windscreen is right under my eyes) and it's wonderful. I can go up to 90-100 km/h with the visor up and have no issue

Sure, it was expensive as hell (as I had to order it from the USA so import taxes were another 50 eur), but it was in the end cheaper than a wunderlich screen + spoiler.

As a tip, to get a discount on their site, add whatever you want in the cart, go with the check-out process but don't finalize it and close the window. You will receive on the e-mail a 20% discount voucher.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 12:55:48 PM by alin156 »

Offline gastropod

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: F750GS
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2020, 04:19:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mnmadeira [+]
Iím suffering with buffeting on my 750. When I get up I just hear the swift wind through my helmet. Back to the seat itís that loud buffeting sound. Any solution?

I find that it's a quite personal thing. I have been thinking about this months (mostly as I couldn't test any of the Puigs or Wunderlichs of the world) and finally went for an 850 Adventure one, with the adjustable frame (2 position only though). Pricey (as the stock frame needs to get swapped too) but I love it and it works great even at high speed, As I mentioned this works for me though and I guess it is the more expensive option. Potentially go to a dealer and testride an 850 ADV, if you can.

Offline Mnmadeira

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 02:20:12 PM »
Thank you all.
It's interesting that the 850 wind screen is not that long.
I think I'm going to try something small to start with, since I don't like screen shields at all, on the looking side of the thing. As I said, even with earplugs, the 750 is terrible. I'm 1.70m. Perhaps that's the problem.
I have just recently bought my 750. It has all the perks that are important for me. I'm particularly enjoying the original GPS.
This is my second ride. My friends decided for a light off road. I'm adapting to the bike yet. Thank you all.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 02:21:15 PM by Mnmadeira »

Offline Mnmadeira

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 09:15:37 PM »
I recorded the buffeting noise when seated and how it goes away when I stand up around 10s in the video.

Using a windscreen are you sure this is going away?

From inside the helmet is even worst.

Offline alin156

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Bucharest
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 09:37:08 PM »

With the windscreen I'm using it's completely gone. I can stay with the visor up at 100 km/h. it does start again at 120 - 130, but not as bad as with the OE tall screen (that was causing me buffeting, as I'm taller). I did a lot of research before buying the screen, as I saw that it's most likely trial and error.

To get an idea on how large it should be for you, use a measuring tape from the bottom of the screen and extend the tape (on the screen's angle) all the way to the height of your nose while you're sitting on the bike. That should be your ideal windscreen height.

Offline 999pablo

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: F750gs
  • Town / City: Thousand Oaks
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2020, 04:58:43 AM »
I run a Puig 7990 windscreen on my 750gs and find it very quiet. Iíve been ten minutes into a ride before I realize I forgot to put my earplugs in. Iím short at 5í 6Ē so a taller rider may have different results. It sits just below eye level for me. I havenít tried triple digit speeds yet but in the mid 90 mph range it is still effective. At $120 us price it ended up being a good deal. There is a nice video on YouTube.
F750gs