BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Where to Ride Off Road in NC/SC  (Read 427 times)

Offline css100

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Carolina Beach
Where to Ride Off Road in NC/SC
« on: February 05, 2020, 11:23:27 AM »
I am new to the Adventure Bike activities with my GS850. Moved from CT to Wilmington NC area. I am looking for places to ride off the beaten path in the SE NC area & NE SC area. Does anyone have advice for areas to ride? I am certainly a newbie and not looking to forge a creek my first time out. Thanks in advance.

Offline heatmizr

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Charlotte
Re: Where to Ride Off Road in NC/SC
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 03:12:49 PM »
Hello, and welcome to NC! I moved to Charlotte 20+ yrs ago from Buffalo.
I rode sportbikes all over our terrific mountains, and last year switched to the F850GS.  While I don't know your area, I have found this website to find dirt roads to ride on:

https://gravelmap.com/

>> Hints:
  - To make it load and pan faster,  click HYBRID at top left
  - Click a yellow route for details
  - Can add comments or even add dirt roads you have found.
  - Be careful, a few marked roads are for mountain bikes, leave them alone. You can sometimes get the hint from the comments
This map is crowd-sourced and not complete. However I tend to use it in conjunction with Google Maps to plan rides to those roads shown, and incorporate them into my GPX routes.

I see a nice group of dirt roads to your north...
Other than that, just smatterings of them... but again there may be more that you can find and load into the site once you register. This helps all of use find DIRT!
If you can't find enough DIRT, don't despair... These bikes are almost as much fun on little old torn up back roads in farm country / swamps / woods.
GL and have fun on the GS!
- Todd