BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Hello, greetings from Colombia  (Read 530 times)

Offline japaez913

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Bogota
Hello, greetings from Colombia
« on: January 13, 2020, 08:44:08 PM »
Hi there,

I've had my F850gs for little over a year now, 22k km already. Been wondering if anybody has heard of issues with the bikes? I've had a couple with mine, radiator and battery.

Online Oldplodder

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850 GS Sport + bits
  • Town / City: Buckley
Re: Hello, greetings from Colombia
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 09:13:31 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum,

I've not heard of any issues but there may have been some which others may know about and will respond to later.

Dave T
I wish I was as good as my dog thinks I am

Offline Dazi

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: ANK
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 12:36:00 PM »
Hello,
I own an f 850 gs exclusive in green  , my bike had slight coolant & oil leakage at around 5200 kms 6 months after purchase. My dealer told me it happened with a few other bikes and actually showed me oil leak problem on a police bike. They were not very professional and even tried to convince me this was not a big issue and i could keep riding..

I wrote an e-mail and complained about their attitude to their management. They called me next week.

Engine cover was removed and seal was replaced. Coolant and oil leak has stopped for now. I am disappointed with the bike and Motorrad service due to this experience .

I may replace the bike with something else at some point considering how expensive the bike, the accessories and maintenance are compared to other brands. I read concerns about the Chinese made engine online but did not think it would be an issue :( Other than these issues, it performed well so far..

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 01:11:19 PM by Dazi »

Offline japaez913

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Bogota
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 02:28:57 PM »
Same here, I'm actually thinking on changing the bike which is a shame. I love it, every time I look at it I decide I don't want to sell it, however the experience with it has been very dissapointing. In my case, and at least 4 others here in Colombia, the radiator failed, something broke in the internal face and the coolant doesn't leak, it gushes! In my case the dealership was quite swift with their answer and applied warranty, still waiting (3 months now) for the new radiator to arrive, yet, since I know of at least 4 bikes with the same issue, it worries me that the new radiator will fail to.

Then I hit a pothole and the rim bent, but worst, one of the spokes snapped clean from the wheel. What astonished me was the reply I got from the service guys, apparently I have to check weekly the tension on the spokes as they do loosen up frequently. So that means I now have no confidence at all on the bikes off road capabilites.

Last saturday I woke with a surprise though, battery died on me. Bike wouldn't start, had to jump start it. Same yesterday, same today. I'll be going in the afternoon to service to have them check it (They wouldn't do it yesterday). Hope in this case warranty applies.

Overall what pains me the most is the fact that I've been left taking buses for over a month due to this issues, I don't have any other vehicles and I live outside of the city, so 1 day without bike is time consuming and expensive for me. I surely didn't buy a bike like this to keep it on service or to be afraid all the time about what might fail next. :013:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 02:32:00 PM by japaez913 »

Offline Dazi

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 03:37:33 PM »
Sorry to hear your frustration with your bike.
I love my bike also and would like to keep it for many years . It's a shame so many bikes have issues so early into their lifespan. I rode mine gently on country roads, kept it clean and warm in my garage..
I will keep riding as before and if something else fails it will hopefully fail within warranty period.

My family owned multiple BMW cars and motorcycles and never had such issues. 
This is a great bike, i love the sound , the ride and everything.. but I am no BMW fanboy so if their products fail me i'll sell  and move on, when you are stranded somewhere with a leaking bike, this is no longer your friend,  it is  250 kilos of deadweight that failed you !
A friend of mine who owns an f800gs decided not to replace his bike with the 850 after i told him about my experience.
I hope radiator & rims on my bike are  strong and i do not want to see any fluids on my garage floor again  :232:

Bests,
Dazi

« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 04:12:50 PM by Dazi »

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2020, 11:33:32 PM »
Looks like your complaint is the oil drain plug was leaking??? You (or the service person) are supposed to replace the seal ring on the drain plug at every oil change per BMW.
I still have the replacements in my tool box that my dealer supplied when our bikes were new when I asked for oil change supplies for the first (600 mile) service. I have been reusing my original seal rings for 6,000 miles with no leaks. I just did our third services and the bikes are dry.
I cannot speak to the radiator problems because we have none so I would suggest the person doing your service work is likely a stooge and should not be allowed to possess tools as they do not have a clue as to their proper use.
This reply is pertaining to TWO bikes which I service... my 2019 850 and my wife's 2019 750 which I service myself. 

Sounds to me like you should be complaining about your service person and not the bikes!
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline Dazi

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 08:30:37 AM »
Hello ,
blue liquid you see on the pictures is not oil but coolant. (after the engine guard is removed there is a hole under the engine that  ejects excess coolant from the system, i was told this maybe due to overheating or too much coolant in the system but none of this makes sense as i don't run my bike stationary for long and avoid traffic mostly. Also the  Coolant level was correct.

The oil leak was not due to a drain plug , i do not think service guys would be that incompetent.
My bike had oil leaking from the top of the engine. A new rubber gasket / seal was installed and problem is solved for now. I still do not know why the bike leaked coolant , but somehow it stopped after the bike was serviced.

Bests
Dazi
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 08:31:29 AM by Dazi »