BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: SW Motech Crash Bars Installation  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Florian38

• GS Member
  • Town / City: grenoble
Re: SW Motech Crash Bars Installation
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 07:47:04 AM »
GIVIs have 3 fixing points, motech only 2.
Motech protects the fairing not the engine.

Offline markcat7

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: York
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 11:48:58 AM »
Iíve just fitted some SW Motech bars but canít find any information on torque settings for the engine mounting bolts?

Please can anybody advise?

Cheers
Mark

Offline netaron

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Scottsdale, AZ
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 02:52:12 PM »
I did a similar search, but after coming up empty handed, I used a beam torque wrench during the removal process and it took 28 ftlbs to loosen them.

Offline RIMark

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Wakefield, RI
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2020, 06:54:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by markcat7 [+]
Iíve just fitted some SW Motech bars but canít find any information on torque settings for the engine mounting bolts?

Please can anybody advise?

Cheers
Mark

This may or may not be of help but here is a link to the Givi crash bar install instructions with torque settings listed for several bolts.  Same attachment points?  Maybe? 
https://media.givi.it/XN-Prodotti/istruzioni/TN5127.pdf
RI Mark F750GS

Offline netaron

• GS Member
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2020, 07:17:28 PM »
That's helpful, so mine were very loose stock compared to the attached. I think I may have read here or somewhere else that BMW is releasing (finally!) a workshop manual for the 850 February 15th or so.

Offline markcat7

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: York
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2020, 07:12:14 AM »
Brilliant - that really useful, thank you.

I also contacted Haynes to see if they are going to produce a manual, but unfortunately they have no plans to.

Cheers guys.
Mark

Offline Helpubuild

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: Tauranga
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2020, 05:54:11 AM »
Hi guys, I am also planning on installing the SW-Motech crash bars and like the initial question cannot find any definitive torque settings for the bolts. For example SW-Motech show a maximum of 115Nm for the M12 bolts going to the top engine mounts unless BMW state a lower torque and Givi state 84Nm for the same bolts. Of course BMW will not advise the torque settings for any but the few shown in the manual. I have requested this information from BMW Motorrad Many weeks ago but received only apologies and promises of future advice, yet to arrive !!
Can anybody please provide the approved torque settings for the installation of the SW-Motech crash bars ? I donít believe checking reverse torque on removal provides an accurate torque for installation and as the engine bolts are in to aluminium threads the correct torque is critical.
Also there are conflicting recommendations on the use of medium strength (blue) Loctite and Iíd like to know where this Loctite should and should not be used. My thanks in advance

Offline ab8mi

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Boerne, TX
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2020, 07:11:27 PM »
After looking around and doing some research I ended up putting these Outback-Motortek on my bike. Well built and seem to give great protection. They have great video on these on their website. Used 84 Ntm on the upper engine bolts.

Racing Red BMW 850 GS

Online chrispyduck

• GS Member
  • Bike: f850GS
  • Town / City: Shrewsbury
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2020, 09:51:15 PM »
I put on the Wunderlich bars. Perfect !
Looks like they would offer protection of engine and fairing. Easy to install and come with all necessary fittings. Torque measurements are fine; I did use a torque wrench but I would be happy to fit them without one.......just be careful of the bolts that go into aluminium engine.
They look good too in black. 👍

Offline netaron

• GS Member
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2020, 06:23:17 AM »
Crash tested the SW guards with a washed out front end while heading down a sandy, dry and steep decline. The centerstand's springs popped off as well with a bent brake pedal. No other body or fairing damage that I can tell, but will inspect again tomorrow.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 06:33:30 AM by netaron »