BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Pirelli Scorpoin Rally, any experience? Interesting ADV tire shootout  (Read 1750 times)

Offline Xyzzy

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GSA
  • Town / City: Arkansas
Re: Pirelli Scorpoin Rally, any experience? Interesting ADV tire shoot
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 11:17:33 PM »
I ended up putting on some Heidenau Scout K60 tires. They have a reputation for lasting a long time and I ride betrween 50,000 and 80,000 miles a year and I'm tired of changing tires.

I have a tire machine which helps but the rim profile on the GS makes it incredibly difficult to remove and mount tires. If you plan to do it by hand (!) you might want to try it first under ideal conditions.

I still have the Shinkos on hand for emergencies.

Offline tomcat

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Sport.
  • Town / City: Gisburn
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 09:41:22 AM »
I know a married couple who each ride an Aprilia PEgaso 650 trail. They have circumnavigated the globe on those single cylinder machines negotiating all sorts of road and off road conditions.

On only one occasion did one of the machines get so bogged down in deep mud it required extraction in the bucket of a JCB.

They swear by the K60 tyres. Plenty of off road ability and massive tarmac milage in the tyres.

They do square off at the back and eventually and demand replacement due to handling like a tea trolley in a storm, long before they get near any legal definition of requiring replacement.
If it aint broke, keep fixing it until it is!

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 11:36:07 AM »
I agree with Tomcat on the squaring off but I will add that being so stiff they ride like you are on bare rims. That was my experience with the 2013 800 GS that  I had prior to the current 850. They were on the bike when I bought it used and I thought that maybe it was just the way the 800 rode. The front tire also screams once the tread gets worn about 1/2 way.
I replaced them with Shinko 705s and the ride improved as well as the screaming front tire being silenced.
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline tomcat

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Sport.
  • Town / City: Gisburn
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 12:50:22 PM »
Just checked with Bruce. They dropped to 28psi front and 36 psi rear to gain operative ride/grip combination.
Probably related to sidewall stiffness referred to by SnoDrtRider.
If it aint broke, keep fixing it until it is!

Offline netaron

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Scottsdale, AZ
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 03:12:19 PM »
Mr. Tkacs pretty much sums it up nicely, and it's pretty much what I've experienced, and good to see him back in the saddle: