BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Pirelli Scorpoin Rally, any experience? Interesting ADV tire shootout  (Read 696 times)

Online netaron

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Scottsdale, AZ
I just came across this ADV Tire Shootout: https://press.pirelli.com/pirelli-scorpion-rally-wins-motorrad-comparative-enduro-tyre-test/

I have ridden a bunch of Ducati Scramblers with this tire mounted, but unfortunately on road only, I found their road performance to be exceptional. Amazing grip at full lean.

I know I saw the results somewhere else as well, but the Pirelli site has a nice and tidy display. If anyone has used them, please provide your feedback, perhaps the kind of riding you do and what mileage you got out of them.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 01:00:12 AM by netaron »

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Bellingham
Re: Pirelli Scorpoin Rally, any experience? Interesting ADV tire shoot
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 06:50:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by netaron [+]
I just came across this ADV Tire Shootout: https://press.pirelli.com/pirelli-scorpion-rally-wins-motorrad-comparative-enduro-tyre-test/

I have ridden a bunch of Ducati Scramblers with this tire mounted, but unfortunately on road only, I found their road performance to be exceptional. Amazing grip at full lean.

I know I saw the results somewhere else as well, but the Pirelli site has a nice and tidy display. If anyone has used them, please provide your feedback, perhaps the kind of riding you do and what mileage you got out of them.

Thanks.

The other contenders for the throne of ADV tire king:

Mitas E07+/Dakar 50/50
Michelin Anakee Wild or Anakee Adventure 50/50 or 60/40
Dunlop TrailMax Mission (new for 2019) 50/50

Dunlop looks like the most promising entrant for a road friendly tire that still forces the dirt to give some grudging respect for the tire's ability to maintain traction. The siping and total surface area is distributed in such a way to reduce road noise but still give good grip, it's better than most of the tires i've seen.

Online netaron

• GS Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 04:10:09 PM »
Coming from Karoo3 tires, I'm looking for at least comparable or better on-road handling, and a little more than 2,900 miles from the rear. Although I'm more dirt oriented on the 850, it's the times that I'm a bit competitive on road that challenges my self control to appreciate what type of tires I have mounted  :034:

I was interested in the Pirelli Rally tires for their great on-pavement performance since their dirt handling seem to be on par if not a little better than the Karoo3 tires with what seems to be a little better mileage which reportedly is around 4,000. I will do some more research on your additions, great to have more and more options these days.

I welcome any input/experience anyone has with the listed tires.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 05:06:07 PM by netaron »

Online Xyzzy

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GSA
  • Town / City: Arkansas
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 12:18:34 PM »
Coming from Karoo3 tires, I'm looking for at least comparable or better on-road handling, and a little more than 2,900 miles from the rear.

How about the Shinko 804/805 combo? (Make sure to get the radial rear.)

Shinko mega-thread: https://advrider.com/f/threads/shinko-805-what-does-the-collective-know.1008133/

Online netaron

• GS Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 03:47:28 PM »
Interesting read; how has your experience been with them so far?

Online Xyzzy

• GS Member
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 01:16:39 PM »
Interesting read; how has your experience been with them so far?

I haven't tried them yet. I have a set ready to go after I wear out the stock tires.

They have a bias-ply and a radial rear. I accidentally bought the bias-ply first and then exchanged it for the radial.

Online netaron

• GS Member
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 02:00:49 PM »
I'll be interested in hearing what you think of their dry/wet pavement performance, they look like they can handle dirt with no issues.

Online Xyzzy

• GS Member
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2019, 03:30:41 PM »
They are roughly $160 a set.

If I can get 5K miles out of them I will be happy.

Online netaron

• GS Member
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2019, 03:55:35 PM »
Yeah, I saw that, very affordable, which lends itself well toward at least a shot. Researching this whole pink unicorn adv tire thing lends itself well toward the next retirement hobby. I did not know that noise was such a big factor with a lot of riders when rating adv tires. I know something has to give, for me, noise is no issue as I ride with good noise isolating earplugs, I'd much rather have good traction on/off road than allow a little noise to bother me.

Right now, I'm definitely leaning toward the Michelin Anakee Wilds; good on/off road performance, even in the wet stuff, 4,000+/- miles, good enough for government work and I'd rather sacrifice 1-2k miles for better traction, shiny parts are way more expensive.

Good luck with the new shoes and please keep us posted.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 04:00:29 PM by netaron »

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Bellingham
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2019, 07:12:54 AM »
I'm familiar with Shinkos, they are budget tire and well regarded for their price & durability. 4k is a realistic number, as to how well they fair in grip compared to the other competitors that I can't say.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 07:14:53 AM by Newguy »