BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: New dunlop 50/50 tires!  (Read 4399 times)

Offline Tioli

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS HP Special
  • Town / City: Tasmania
Re: New dunlop 50/50 tires!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 12:09:06 AM »
I have heard that once a tyre has a puncture its screwed but my previous bike I picked it up first day rode it around a bit and the next day the rear tyre was flat with a big nail in it. Plugged it and all was well for the rest of its life.
Hindsight is a terrible way to learn Id rather be gifted

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 01:13:19 AM »
*Originally Posted by Tioli [+]
I have heard that once a tyre has a puncture it’s screwed but my previous bike I picked it up first day rode it around a bit and the next day the rear tyre was flat with a big nail in it. Plugged it and all was well for the rest of its life.
I only rely on plugs in an emergency... even on 4 wheels. With a bike I replace the tire... with a 4 wheel vehicle I have my tire shop patch the tire from the inside ASAP.
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline netaron

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Scottsdale, AZ
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 01:16:40 AM »
Agreed, and everyone obviously is encouraged to make their own assessment (size of puncture, location etc.), but I would be good with a plug on my 850, especially with the TPM onboard. However, I would not do the same to a track bike, although I have heard of a few riders doing exactly that. The newer tire plugs that feel like tire material do a better job from what I've experienced with my truck.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 01:17:52 AM by netaron »

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Bellingham
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2020, 09:18:03 AM »
New tires installed, rims/calipers and much swearing occurred during rear tire re-assembly  :230: :232:. Rear swing arm stuff was unpleasant, not as bad as some other bikes but still made me really miss working on a single swing-arm bike.

:305: I scrubbed in the new tires tonight, so far the dunlop trailmax mission is proving to be as good as i'd hoped. Road grip during my test session on dry pavement was excellent, on par with Michelin Road Pilot 4's. Despite being brand new they seemed to scrub in fast and provided good grip during cornering, not a moment of me feeling uncertain during the ride.  :305:

Feedback from tires through the frame was very minimal, no significant change in noise or handling from the fake ADV road biased tires the bike was packaged with.
To me it really didn't feel that much different than riding on touring tires, the visual difference is the tread resembles an all terrain truck tire giving the rider added confidence in its handling abilities during off road conditions.