BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Dominator link pipe.  (Read 5291 times)

Offline GSMartin

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS Sport
  • Town / City: Hambleton
Re: Dominator link pipe.
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2020, 11:20:26 AM »
*Originally Posted by MikeOC [+]
As for the "Link Pipe" have any experienced any increase/ positive change in overall performance? For me (different strokes for different folks) that's all I care about.

I have had mine fitted for a few thousand miles now. I have not noticed any performance gains or increase / decrease in fuel consumption. I was going to have the ECU remapped by Hilltop and run up on the dyno before and after, but they claim they have not been able to get into it yet.

Offline MikeOC

• GS Member
  • Bike: 2019 F-750 GS
  • Town / City: Spokane, WA
« Reply #51 on: February 02, 2020, 03:01:02 PM »
GSMartin - thanks very much, this will save me $100, plus install.

Offline stonehenge

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Salisbury
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2020, 09:23:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by Matty589 [+]
Not sure what you base that on. The dominator link pipe weighs 700g. The original resonator box is 3.4Kg, so naturally BMW thought to put two mounting points. The headers have a separate mount so don't require supporting. For something that weighs nearly 5 times less it is total overkill. The mounting points are large and could easily support even the BMW box. I've had both link pipes - the Remus does not fit (not even close) with an Akra can and to my eyes doesn't look significantly better than the dominator.

Matt, sorry but I have to correct you.  If you look at Part Number 18518550447 on RealOEM at the headers, there is no support just for the headers.  When I put the Remus on they clearly rocked back and forth.  The only support is from the front muffler bracket Part 18518393198 and uses two fixing points.  Without both, the headers can move and twist and is why it fits your can as it moves into place.  But this is bound to place the headers and catalyst in stress and is likely to fail at some future point.  Manufacturers of cheap exhausts and link pipes will sell rubbish cheap, but Remus refuse to compromise and therefore cost more.  I say again, they do fit with the Akra can, with patience to get every thing lined up correctly. 

Offline Matty589

• GS Pro
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2020, 01:57:25 PM »
Fair enough. When I removed the resonator the headers had very little movement and what movement was present was side to side rather than front to back.
The link pipe I had did not have any damage. I spent a good couple of hours scratching my head but there was nowhere enough room to manoeuvre the end can into place short of releasing the headers and attempting to reconnect them at an angle. Taking > 2.5Kg out of this area more than makes up for one mounting point vs two. The only reason there are two is that the OEM collector box is so wide they had to. Itís not as if itís a thin bolt and a flimsy bracket - itís a very sizeable bracket that could easily take double the weight. How is it going to twist with the headers bolted at one end and the can at the other, and a welded link pipe in between?

You are entitled to your assessment that Dominator is ďcheap rubbishĒ - I donít agree so best if we leave it at that.

Offline MitzaPCH

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: 850 gs
  • Town / City: Bucharest
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2020, 12:13:47 PM »
How is the fuel consumption after fitting the link pipe ? Mine went to 7.0 l / 100 km urban riding ( it is true that I've been riding in cold weather 2 C+ - 10 C+ ).

Offline Matty589

• GS Pro
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2020, 08:48:44 AM »
Itís freakishly mild here in the UK so I donít have a comparable test but Iíve not noticed a change in fuel consumption. In any case the 850 has an Akra can, do with that and the link pipe Iím saving about 5Kg over the stock bike, which probably helps a tiny bit with fuel consumption. It sounds good, too ;)

Offline tomcat

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Sport.
  • Town / City: Gisburn
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2020, 09:21:05 AM »
Fuel consumption seems unaffected. I keep my average displayed, and it has remained at 65 to 67 mpg from the day I collected the bike.
If it aint broke, keep fixing it until it is!

Offline Matty589

• GS Pro
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2020, 08:40:20 PM »
Same here. No change to fuel consumption.

Offline KSBInder

• GS Member
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2020, 08:42:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by tomcat [+]
Fuel consumption seems unaffected. I keep my average displayed, and it has remained at 65 to 67 mpg from the day I collected the bike.
65-67?  I don't get anywhere near that.  Mine says 45 and I don't get that hand calculated.

Offline tomcat

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Sport.
  • Town / City: Gisburn
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2020, 08:46:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by KSBInder [+]
65-67?  I don't get anywhere near that.  Mine says 45 and I don't get that hand calculated.
Uk gallons and US gallons are different quantities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallon
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 08:49:07 PM by tomcat »
If it aint broke, keep fixing it until it is!