BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Dominator link pipe.  (Read 5319 times)

Offline MitzaPCH

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: 850 gs
  • Town / City: Bucharest
Re: Dominator link pipe.
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2020, 04:10:52 PM »
Yes that is the one !
I am pretty sure the remus is also good, basically is just a simple pipe :)).

Offline wachuko

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 BMW F 850 GSA
  • Town / City: Orlando
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2020, 04:22:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by MitzaPCH [+]
Yes that is the one !
I am pretty sure the remus is also good, basically is just a simple pipe :)).

Thank you.  Let me order it while the wife is distracted  :028:
Ride safe!
Wachuko
2019 BMW F 850 GS Adventure

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2020, 05:08:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by stonehenge [+]
They sound much better with the mid box out of the way.  I have a Remus Link Pipe for sale which is better IMO as the headers and cat are fully supported by using both fixing points, not just the one that the Dominator uses.  I guess that's why the Remus is that much more expensive than the Dominator.

Not sure what you base that on. The dominator link pipe weighs 700g. The original resonator box is 3.4Kg, so naturally BMW thought to put two mounting points. The headers have a separate mount so don't require supporting. For something that weighs nearly 5 times less it is total overkill. The mounting points are large and could easily support even the BMW box. I've had both link pipes - the Remus does not fit (not even close) with an Akra can and to my eyes doesn't look significantly better than the dominator.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 05:08:38 PM by Matty589 »

Offline SVW

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: F850gs sport
  • Town / City: Telford
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2020, 05:25:29 PM »
Yes that is the one, my bike is the f850gs sport should be the same as the adventure. I have seen videos of the Remus one and it dos not always fit.

Offline stonehenge

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Salisbury
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2020, 05:37:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Matty589 [+]
Not sure what you base that on. The dominator link pipe weighs 700g. The original resonator box is 3.4Kg, so naturally BMW thought to put two mounting points. The headers have a separate mount so don't require supporting. For something that weighs nearly 5 times less it is total overkill. The mounting points are large and could easily support even the BMW box. I've had both link pipes - the Remus does not fit (not even close) with an Akra can and to my eyes doesn't look significantly better than the dominator.

Remus are a highly accomplished brand making very high quality exhausts for both cars and bikes.  The link fitted my Akra well enough and others on the owners Fb site also use the two together.  Are you sure that the one you bought off ebay wasn't from a damaged bike and bent?  It certainly looked a bit rough?

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2020, 06:40:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by stonehenge [+]
Remus are a highly accomplished brand making very high quality exhausts for both cars and bikes.  The link fitted my Akra well enough and others on the owners Fb site also use the two together.  Are you sure that the one you bought off ebay wasn't from a damaged bike and bent?  It certainly looked a bit rough?

It was dirty but undamaged. Fitting was miles out - Iíd say an inch between the exhaust mount and the frame mount. Iím not the only one whoís had this - thereís a YT vid of a guy fitting one with a black Akra can, again not lining up. His was at least close! I did check everything was seated properly and there was no play but I just didnít fit. Dominator pipe lined up perfectly.

Offline KSBInder

• GS Member
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2020, 07:20:45 PM »
the Remus has that extra turn and extra pipe than the dominator, the dominator just seems to get the job done better and more efficiently.   Had mind on for 600 miles and love the sound with the stock "muffler"(which doesn't really seem to be a muffler).   Don't think it needs to use the two mounting supports as it doesn't really weigh much at all compared to the boat anchor BMW resonator box(that appears to be the actual muffler).   Can't, for the life of me, figure out why BMW would put that big mud catching boat anchor on these bikes and take away that fantastic sound.   The dominator doesn't drone or sound obnoxious at all, just seems like that's how it should be.

Offline MikeOC

• GS Member
  • Bike: 2019 F-750 GS
  • Town / City: Spokane, WA
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2020, 07:47:50 PM »
As for the "Link Pipe" have any experienced any increase/ positive change in overall performance? For me (different strokes for different folks) that's all I care about.

Offline KSBInder

• GS Member
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2020, 07:58:55 PM »
Seems "snappier" to me, but I'm sure as with any freer exhaust that some low end is lost due to less back pressure.   I can't say I've noticed a lesser bottom end but it almost has to be so, maybe the computer corrects for this.   The sound is worth it to me.

Offline tomcat

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Sport.
  • Town / City: Gisburn
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2020, 10:04:37 PM »

Yes that's the one. Despite the ad' wording, it only eliminates the euro box. The catalyst remains in place.
I found a replacement silencer with a baffle achieved  a deeper tone without being overly noisy. Saved a few kilos weight too.
If it aint broke, keep fixing it until it is!