BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: 600 mile service(running-in check)-Does anyone have an itemized list?  (Read 695 times)

Offline netaron

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Scottsdale, AZ
I checked the other threads, but couldn't locate a complete list BMW uses for the 600 mile service. The price I was quoted was way above what I paid for my other BMW bikes, so I'm doing it myself. This is what I usually do on my bikes, maybe not all at once, but for new and used bikes I don't know well.

*Oil&Filter (using Castrol Power1 RS Race 4T
Synth 5W 40)
*Chain lube/adjust
*Tire pressure and tire wear check
*Clutch cable check/adjustment
*Check torque on front/rear axle nuts and pinch bolts
*General check of fasteners
*Check head bearing play
*Check coolant level
*Inspect brake pads

Did I miss anything?

The dealer said part of the service includes checking for software updates. I will assume there are no current updates; why say we will check and charge you for it?? If there was an update, just say if your version doesn't match, we'll update it and charge you, otherwise there's no charge.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 08:32:59 PM by netaron »

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
Re: 600 mile service(running-in check)-Does anyone have an itemized li
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 11:14:32 PM »
There should be no charge for factory updates either mechanical or software... If they want to charge you start complaining that you are having issues.

BTW Not all updates are improvements!

As far as your list... Looks pretty complete to me... I would add check spoke tension if you have spoked wheels... just a tap with a screwdriver or wrench to see if any are out of tune.
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline netaron

• GS Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 11:21:09 PM »
Great hint! Thank you.

Offline GSMartin

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS Sport
  • Town / City: Hambleton
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 04:16:22 PM »
If you have the TFT screen, the latest software ends 180

Offline netaron

• GS Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 08:34:43 PM »
Mine reads SW: 001-018-040

Either I need an update, or the 750GS has a different software version compared to my 850GS, which would make sense.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 08:56:04 PM by netaron »

Offline GSMartin

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS Sport
  • Town / City: Hambleton
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 12:17:26 PM »
If I remember correctly, my previous version ended in 40

Offline netaron

• GS Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 12:51:05 AM »
Service update:

Oil and filter changed. I removed the bash plate because the oil filter had to be down there of course :745:. Ah yeah, sure. It's housed on the right side just above the exhaust link. But now I know how to remove the bash plate properly. I was however not able to remove 4 of the bolts because those hold in the bumpers, they are not bushings as I had originally thought. So all you need to do is remove 4 bolts, please see pictures; that is if you need to ever remove it in the first place.

I had an old K-bike filter wrench that fit the replacement Mahle OC 619 perfectly, but the filter wrench has different shape points and kept slipping. An old shop rag was sandwiched between the wrench and filter with a little hammer love, problem solved. The OC 619 is a bit taller than the OEM filter.

The coolant level was right at the lower limit and had to be added. Everything else checked out, including the spokes.

One thing I almost forgot to mention was using the GS-911 with the round 10 pin connector with the 850. I had some cables that I modified to match the diagram on the link below and it worked great:
https://pinoutguide.com/CarElectronics/BMW_S1000R_2015_to_ODB2_pinout.shtml

« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 01:02:41 AM by netaron »

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 03:05:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by netaron [+]
Service update:

Oil and filter changed. I removed the bash plate because the oil filter had to be down there of course :745:. Ah yeah, sure. It's housed on the right side just above the exhaust link. But now I know how to remove the bash plate properly. I was however not able to remove 4 of the bolts because those hold in the bumpers, they are not bushings as I had originally thought. So all you need to do is remove 4 bolts, please see pictures; that is if you need to ever remove it in the first place.

I had an old K-bike filter wrench that fit the replacement Mahle OC 619 perfectly, but the filter wrench has different shape points and kept slipping. An old shop rag was sandwiched between the wrench and filter with a little hammer love, problem solved. The OC 619 is a bit taller than the OEM filter.

The coolant level was right at the lower limit and had to be added. Everything else checked out, including the spokes.

One thing I almost forgot to mention was using the GS-911 with the round 10 pin connector with the 850. I had some cables that I modified to match the diagram on the link below and it worked great:
https://pinoutguide.com/CarElectronics/BMW_S1000R_2015_to_ODB2_pinout.shtml

There is an adapter cable available from Hexcode that allows the use of the old 10 pin GS-911 on the OBDII bikes but your GS-911 has to be a WiFi model because (supposedly) the real old Blue Tooth version of the GS-911 in not compatible with the newer CAN Bus/ LIN Bus biles as the date speed is faster on the newer bikes.

Offline netaron

• GS Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 06:14:23 AM »
Yes, you are correct. I do have the wifi round plug version. What I really like about it is that it will do an autoscan on another bike without the need to spend one of the 10 licenses. I also posted the info just in case someone purchases a non-compatible cable that wasn't supplied by the hex folks. Since I had an obd2 cable laying around, I just cut it in half, found the wires that coincide with the pinout in the link above, crimped some pins on the wire ends, and just plugged them to the corresponding pins on the gs-911.

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 11:32:52 AM »
I had an older BT GS-911 which worked great. I bought it used from a guy on ADV Rider. I bought a new OBDll wifi version for the new bikes and resold my old one for what I paid for it...
I carry the 911 when we travel just in case of roadside problems with the bikes so not needing an additional cable is a plus for me.
I did not know about the "Free" autoscan I'll have to investigate that in case I need to help out a friend and do not want to use a VIN spot out of the allotted 10.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 11:33:23 AM by SnoDrtRider »