BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: F850GSA Tool Tube.  (Read 295 times)

Online Brodixv8

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GSA Rallye
  • Town / City: Auckland New Zealand
F850GSA Tool Tube.
« on: August 16, 2019, 10:22:42 AM »
Got the ingredients. Ready to go !

Online Brodixv8

• GS Pro
Re: F850GSA Tool Tube.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 12:25:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by Brodixv8 [+]
Got the ingredients. Ready to go !

I need a couple of heavyweights on the bike now to see what sort of clearance I may have ( if any) with swingarm travel. I may have to cut a more or less horiz angle at the low end to achieve this or make it quite a bit smaller.

Online Brodixv8

• GS Pro
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 12:25:32 AM »
Regretfully, i'm probably going to call it quits doing this. I made up the 2 circular brackets and frame clips to hold this in place, got it temporarily fitted  but,  just the thickness of the brackets spaced it inwards enough to  ensure it would just get hit by the tyre. I had a couple of guys sit on the bike and the swing arm clearance was fine,  but now this ! It would also preclude fitting a more offroad tyre as well. I can't see the point of downsizing the tube. If you can't get your arm into it there's little point imo. I momentarily considered spacing the left rack out a bit but at this stage have just decided to shelve it in the meantime.

Online SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 02:48:24 AM »
No need to get your arm into it if you pack everything into a bag or roll to pull it all out!
I was looking at my bike today for the same type of tube and thought to myself that it would be kinda small in diameter but could work.
I have a standard 850 with the factory Vario Cases.
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Online Brodixv8

• GS Pro
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 03:58:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider [+]
No need to get your arm into it if you pack everything into a bag or roll to pull it all out!
I was looking at my bike today for the same type of tube and thought to myself that it would be kinda small in diameter but could work.
I have a standard 850 with the factory Vario Cases.

Yes i considered that as an idea also. Having everything in a bag is a good thought, but as  I had the larger pipe left over from the Yam job, thought that the better option. The main cruncher for me was losing the option to fit a more dirt oriented tyre. Even with around 12mm clearance, a bigger dirt tyre, partially deflated, is going to flex enough to rip the tube off most likely. I have'nt written the idea off completely yet and i'm thinking spacing out the pannier frame a little may just do it, as long as it does'nt look silly. The thing's wide enough with the boxes on as it is.