BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !


Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: F850GSA Tool Tube.  (Read 1438 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Brodixv8

  • GS Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 160
  • Bike: F850GSA Rallye
  • Town / City: Auckland New Zealand
  • Country: nz
F850GSA Tool Tube.
« on: August 16, 2019, 10:22:42 AM »
Got the ingredients. Ready to go !



Offline Brodixv8

  • GS Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 160
  • Bike: F850GSA Rallye
  • Town / City: Auckland New Zealand
  • Country: nz
Re: F850GSA Tool Tube.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 12:25:44 AM »
*Originally Posted by Brodixv8 [+]
Got the ingredients. Ready to go !



I need a couple of heavyweights on the bike now to see what sort of clearance I may have ( if any) with swingarm travel. I may have to cut a more or less horiz angle at the low end to achieve this or make it quite a bit smaller.


Offline Brodixv8

  • GS Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 160
  • Bike: F850GSA Rallye
  • Town / City: Auckland New Zealand
  • Country: nz
Re: F850GSA Tool Tube.
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 12:25:32 AM »
Regretfully, i'm probably going to call it quits doing this. I made up the 2 circular brackets and frame clips to hold this in place, got it temporarily fitted  but,  just the thickness of the brackets spaced it inwards enough to  ensure it would just get hit by the tyre. I had a couple of guys sit on the bike and the swing arm clearance was fine,  but now this ! It would also preclude fitting a more offroad tyre as well. I can't see the point of downsizing the tube. If you can't get your arm into it there's little point imo. I momentarily considered spacing the left rack out a bit but at this stage have just decided to shelve it in the meantime.


Offline SnoDrtRider

  • GS Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 254
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
  • Country: us
Re: F850GSA Tool Tube.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 02:48:24 AM »
No need to get your arm into it if you pack everything into a bag or roll to pull it all out!
I was looking at my bike today for the same type of tube and thought to myself that it would be kinda small in diameter but could work.
I have a standard 850 with the factory Vario Cases.
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline Brodixv8

  • GS Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 160
  • Bike: F850GSA Rallye
  • Town / City: Auckland New Zealand
  • Country: nz
Re: F850GSA Tool Tube.
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 03:58:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider [+]
No need to get your arm into it if you pack everything into a bag or roll to pull it all out!
I was looking at my bike today for the same type of tube and thought to myself that it would be kinda small in diameter but could work.
I have a standard 850 with the factory Vario Cases.

Yes i considered that as an idea also. Having everything in a bag is a good thought, but as  I had the larger pipe left over from the Yam job, thought that the better option. The main cruncher for me was losing the option to fit a more dirt oriented tyre. Even with around 12mm clearance, a bigger dirt tyre, partially deflated, is going to flex enough to rip the tube off most likely. I have'nt written the idea off completely yet and i'm thinking spacing out the pannier frame a little may just do it, as long as it does'nt look silly. The thing's wide enough with the boxes on as it is.

Offline Brodixv8

  • GS Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 160
  • Bike: F850GSA Rallye
  • Town / City: Auckland New Zealand
  • Country: nz
Re: F850GSA Tool Tube.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 07:57:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by Brodixv8 [+]
Regretfully, i'm probably going to call it quits doing this. I made up the 2 circular brackets and frame clips to hold this in place, got it temporarily fitted  but,  just the thickness of the brackets spaced it inwards enough to  ensure it would just get hit by the tyre. I had a couple of guys sit on the bike and the swing arm clearance was fine,  but now this ! It would also preclude fitting a more offroad tyre as well. I can't see the point of downsizing the tube. If you can't get your arm into it there's little point imo. I momentarily considered spacing the left rack out a bit but at this stage have just decided to shelve it in the meantime.



Ok. As a carry on from the abandoned 'behind the pannier rack mounted tool tube' I had decided to make a few anyway. I'm not sure I personally would do this, but it may give some ideas to someone else. They sure offer a lot more lockup space, and theres still plenty of room to put a soft bag across the seat in between them. More pics on the gallery.

 https://photos.850gs.com/image/HNa5

Offline Brodixv8

  • GS Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 160
  • Bike: F850GSA Rallye
  • Town / City: Auckland New Zealand
  • Country: nz
Re: F850GSA Tool Tube.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2019, 08:05:24 PM »

Offline Gazza750

  • GS Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 164
  • Bike: F750GS
  • Town / City: Yorkshire
  • Country: gb
Re: F850GSA Tool Tube.
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 10:40:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Brodixv8 [+]

It looks like a rocket powered F850GSA lol. What would you use the tubes for?  Is it just for additional storage, or do you have a specific use in mind? I like the idea of a hidden small tube or box to hold a basic tool kit, puncture repair kit and first aid kit etc.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 10:42:20 PM by Gazza750 »

Offline Brodixv8

  • GS Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 160
  • Bike: F850GSA Rallye
  • Town / City: Auckland New Zealand
  • Country: nz
Re: F850GSA Tool Tube.
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 05:08:08 AM »
*Originally Posted by Gazza750 [+]
It looks like a rocket powered F850GSA lol. What would you use the tubes for?  Is it just for additional storage, or do you have a specific use in mind? I like the idea of a hidden small tube or box to hold a basic tool kit, puncture repair kit and first aid kit etc.

To be honest, i've never had one before, but know several people that swear  by them.
personally  i would probably on a very lengthy  ( several days /weeks maybe) take some tools, tyre pump etc. Maybe all my video camera gear and so on. Its possibly a good way to keep  specific stuff separate  from general clothing and other gear ?  At the end of the day, it's just additional storage I suppose.  I agree it looks a bit rocket like,  so I guess you'd have to tolerate the  comments you might get.  The way I see it, the problem with a very small tube is ' whats the point' ? If you only have a very few small items, you may as well just stick 'em in the box with the other stuff.  It's all a learning curve I guess lol. Thanks for responding.

Offline Gazza750

  • GS Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 164
  • Bike: F750GS
  • Town / City: Yorkshire
  • Country: gb
Re: F850GSA Tool Tube.
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 06:57:27 AM »
I think it's a great idea 👍🏻👍🏻