BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: My Ownership and Mods Thread - 2019 BMW F 850 GS Adventure  (Read 10921 times)

Offline wachuko

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 BMW F 850 GSA
  • Town / City: Orlando
Re: My Ownership and Mods Thread - 2019 BMW F 850 GS Adventure
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2020, 10:26:49 PM »
Took the time to remove the previous headlight protector and install the new one.  Much better now...

Ride safe!
Wachuko
2019 BMW F 850 GS Adventure

Offline wachuko

• GS Pro
« Reply #121 on: January 27, 2020, 01:30:30 AM »
Brace finally installed...  all pending parts for install are now in place  :152:

Ride safe!
Wachuko

Offline wachuko

• GS Pro
« Reply #122 on: January 27, 2020, 02:11:17 AM »
Oh.... forgot to share the stickers from the recent trip to Key West  :001:

Ride safe!
Wachuko

Offline Xyzzy

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GSA
  • Town / City: Arkansas
« Reply #123 on: January 27, 2020, 11:25:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by wachuko [+]
Brace finally installed...  all pending parts for install are now in place  :152:
How hard was it to install? Does it mount to the engine bolts? What torque did you use?

$250 seems like a lot but if they are REALLY REALLY sturdy then that is an okay price.

Offline wachuko

• GS Pro
« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2020, 06:18:36 AM »
Easy install.  Yes, it mounts to the engine bolts.  100NM torque.

I did not buy it in the US... they did not have them in stock at the time.  Got it from Europe, free shipping... they came out to be a lot less than getting them here... go figure.

Ride safe!
Wachuko

Offline Biccys

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Lincoln
« Reply #125 on: February 27, 2020, 10:34:39 AM »
What a brilliant thread!
Thanks so much for adding all your experiences with the spares you've added, Wachuko. I've the exact same bike as you but mine came with the ridiculous Rallye bench seat which Mrs Biccys hates with a passion! I was looking at maybe getting it re-moulded to make it lower for me (I have the same fear about dropping the bike when coming to a standstill as the bench seat makes it 890mm tall?!) but that Wunderlich seat looks fantastically comfortable! Is it markedly lower than the standard one? Do you feel more confident about coming to a stop with it? (I'm 5'11" so a bit more leg reach than you!)

Offline wachuko

• GS Pro
« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2020, 11:51:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by Biccys [+]
What a brilliant thread!
Thanks so much for adding all your experiences with the spares you've added, Wachuko. I've the exact same bike as you but mine came with the ridiculous Rallye bench seat which Mrs Biccys hates with a passion! I was looking at maybe getting it re-moulded to make it lower for me (I have the same fear about dropping the bike when coming to a standstill as the bench seat makes it 890mm tall?!) but that Wunderlich seat looks fantastically comfortable! Is it markedly lower than the standard one? Do you feel more confident about coming to a stop with it? (I'm 5'11" so a bit more leg reach than you!)

5'11" ?  You should have no problem with this bike!!  At 5'7" I am so glad that I changed the seat.  It is lower enough for me to be more comfortable riding the bike...but the bike is still too tall for me... higher center of gravity does not help me either.   It is no secret that I am not at ease with this bike.  For me, I made a mistake getting this bike.  If you are feeling the same, it has to be due to the high center of gravity, that is what gives me the most scare at fuel stops...

Do not get me wrong, it is an amazing bike.  A purposeful tool for long trips with the ability to carry along everything you need.  Ideally I would have this bike for long trips and a smaller/lighter bike to ride around town for fun.  I am working with trying to convince my wife to let me get a second bike just for fun... but after have multiple bikes, her rule of just one bike at a time is still being enforced  :002:  If that does not fly, then I will have no choice but to replace it for something else next year...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 11:52:30 AM by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko

Offline Biccys

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Lincoln
« Reply #127 on: March 17, 2020, 12:16:44 PM »
I've not got an issue with the c of g to be honest, the seat was just too tall as it was the Rallye seat which is the bench kind. I've had the seat reupholstered and lowered quite a lot which has made a huge difference. I've got it to the point that I can pretty much flat foot now.

I'm sorry that you consider it a mistake as you're right it is a great bike. If I were as tall as you I would probably think the same! Would you consider the lower seat and lowering of the suspension an option?

Offline wachuko

• GS Pro
« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2020, 03:58:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by Biccys [+]
I've not got an issue with the c of g to be honest, the seat was just too tall as it was the Rallye seat which is the bench kind. I've had the seat reupholstered and lowered quite a lot which has made a huge difference. I've got it to the point that I can pretty much flat foot now.

I'm sorry that you consider it a mistake as you're right it is a great bike. If I were as tall as you I would probably think the same! Would you consider the lower seat and lowering of the suspension an option?

If I can get away with getting a second bike... this one will remain in the stable.   :169:   I want another Thruxton, or an R NineT, or a Royal Enfield GT, or... something along the lines of a cool looking cafe racer...   but I still need a bike for long, long trips...   And if I get rid of this bike, pretty sure that I will still need a bike for that...

The issue that I have is that once it goes a certain angle (in any direction), I just can't catch it.  Happens a lot in irregular surfaces and those gas stations with uneven concrete slabs right next to the pumps...    I have never had a bike that I have dropped as many times or needed help straightening, as I have experienced with this one...   So far I have been lucky that friends are around to help (and not judge or take photos  :745: )...

I would prefer not to modify the suspension... silly, I know...  As to the seat, I think this is as low as the seat can go while still be comfortable in long rides... so I should be set there.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 04:19:59 PM by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko

Offline 12master

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Jacksonville
« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2020, 04:05:25 PM »
Well,I dont want to sound disrespectful, bit for sure you added a lot of weight, some of it on top,like tje bar's, and that is not going to help, you probably have over 30 pounds alone in extras, and is a big difference that compounds the problem, it will be funny to check weight since I have the exact same bike, without all the chit,we can meet up and see!