BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Changing oil on F750GS  (Read 2197 times)

Online SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
Re: Changing oil on F750GS
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 12:40:52 PM »
*Originally Posted by Pipeman [+]
I changed it probably 20 minutes after finishing 150 mile ride and yes I left the dipstick rest on top like the manual says.

May not have been long enough for the oil in the upper sump to drain down. If you look at the parts fiche photo I posted above that screen in there is connected to the oil pump to scavenge oil in upper pan. It can/will seep down through the pump over time on its own. How long depends on conditions but I would say overnight.
That is why the secondary drain plug is there. If the engine has been running recently the oil (apparently 1qt) will remain in the upper pan.

None of us (except for dealer techs that have been to the new model intro classes) knows for sure because service manuals are not available yet.
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline Pipeman

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Central Pennsylvania
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 05:32:22 PM »
 Yup that would make sense I see the filter in there for the oil pump per the picture you posted.  Oh well the worst of it wouldíve drained to the bottom right away hopefully, Iíll go with that idea. Probably change it again in 3000 miles anyhow plus now it has a new oil filter on it.  The dealer must be pulling both drain bolts because they certainly canít let the bike sit overnight to do and oil change.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 05:33:39 PM by Pipeman »

Online SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 06:06:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by Pipeman [+]
Yup that would make sense I see the filter in there for the oil pump per the picture you posted.  Oh well the worst of it wouldíve drained to the bottom right away hopefully, Iíll go with that idea. Probably change it again in 3000 miles anyhow plus now it has a new oil filter on it.  The dealer must be pulling both drain bolts because they certainly canít let the bike sit overnight to do and oil change.

My 800 had the drain plug out the side of the oil pan so no way to get to an additional upper sump plug.
Next time I change oil I know I will at least investigate this second internal plug.

We have 1,800 miles on our bikes so they will be getting an oil change again in a couple thousand miles... I think I'll let these bikes go 3,000 to 3,500 miles to see how the shifting is affected if at all.
My 800 used to get funky shifting at about 2500 miles on the oil so that when I changed it.

Offline NashVegasBob

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: F850gs
  • Town / City: Nashville
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2019, 03:49:17 PM »
I bought my f850gs a few weeks ago, rode it fo 650 miles and I changed the oil. The discussion here took place a few months ago and I wonder if there is any new information on this topic. After draining the oil (w hot engine), 2 quarts came out. I also changed the filter. The bike needed 3 quarts to get to the fill mark on the dipstick. This seems really odd as I do not want to overfill. Is a special tool needed to extract the oil from the scavenge plate? Do the bikes come w only 2 quarts from the factory? Wow! And I thought my ktm990 had a convoluted oil change procedure!
NashVegasBob

Online SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2019, 04:14:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by NashVegasBob [+]
I bought my f850gs a few weeks ago, rode it fo 650 miles and I changed the oil. The discussion here took place a few months ago and I wonder if there is any new information on this topic. After draining the oil (w hot engine), 2 quarts came out. I also changed the filter. The bike needed 3 quarts to get to the fill mark on the dipstick. This seems really odd as I do not want to overfill. Is a special tool needed to extract the oil from the scavenge plate? Do the bikes come w only 2 quarts from the factory? Wow! And I thought my ktm990 had a convoluted oil change procedure!

I thought I had posted my info from the second oil change here but perhaps another site...
I will update when I get a chance.
I can tell you that the sump drain bolt is a 5mm Allen and it does NOT have a crush washer on it. It is accessed through the main drain. It has VERY fine threads so be careful not to cross thread or over torque!
I suggest a 5mm Allen for a ratchet as you can use it as a handle to re-install the plug by hand with good feel you can use an L or T Allen wrench but holding either one of them straight while installing the plug is more difficult than just a 3/8 drive Allen for a ratchet. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 04:18:17 PM by SnoDrtRider »

Offline NashVegasBob

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2019, 11:10:54 PM »
Thank You! Your info was very helpful and you saved me some major trouble. I had a tough time envisioning an oil tank within an oil tank. Now that I know I can add this to the weird things Iíve dealt with over the years concerning Moto maintenance.
NashVegasBob

Offline wachuko

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 BMW F 850 GSA
  • Town / City: Orlando
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2019, 05:37:46 PM »
Although a 5mm Allen wrench works for the inner plug... the correct bit seems to be a Torx 35... I did not have one so used the 5mm Allen today... will stop by the local hardware store to get a T35 to add to the toolbox...

A lot of oil came out when I removed that inner plug...

And yes, it took the full 3L of oil with filter change.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 05:38:40 PM by wachuko »
Ride safe!
Wachuko
2019 BMW F 850 GS Adventure

Offline NashVegasBob

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2019, 10:31:01 PM »
Thank you wachuko. I have a much better idea how it all works now. By the way, I live in Nashville but I spend as much time as I can in st. Augustine. When I bring an adv bike down to Florida it would be great to have someone show me some good dirt roads. Right now I only keep my Indian scout down there. Iím thinking of taking my Africa twin down that way.
NashVegasBob

Offline RDaneelMk1

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: BMW F850GS
  • Town / City: Porsgrunn
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2019, 06:02:09 PM »
Hello guys!

I am getting ready to do an oil change before I put the bike away for the winter. Does anyone have the service manual for F850GS?

Offline RussRamz

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Butler, PA
Houston we have a problem
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2019, 03:25:08 PM »
I accomplished the second oil change on my F750GS and I suspect the dealer doing my 600-mile break-in service over torqued the dry sump plug.  I removed the main sump plug without difficulty, but the dry sump plug was TIGHT.  Anyhow, after removing both sump plugs, the filter and draining everything off, I went to reinstall the dry sump plug and threaded it in by hand.  Once I put the torque wrench on it (set to 14 nm), as soon as I turn the wrench, it spun freely!  :157:

After backing the dry-sump plug back out, I inspected it and it was covered with metal shavings which obviously were the threads of the dry-sump! 

Waiting for a new dry-sump pan and another round of oil and filter. 

Anyone else have this problem?  I've spoken to the dealer, but of course they claim they use only the proper torque on all their jobs...