BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: First Service Today...  (Read 1984 times)

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
First Service Today...
« on: April 20, 2019, 06:24:30 PM »
Performed the First Services on both the 750 & 850 today...
Pretty straight forward except access to the oil filters is tight if you don't have a cap wrench.
I was able to use a pair of oil filter pliers and managed.
I was also able to use an ill fitting cap wrench to snug the new filter... Something I normally do by hand but no way you can get your hand around the filter do to tight quarters.
Also love the BMW Motorrad Connect app... Makes it easy to check miles and up coming services.

I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline Sooty01

• GS Pro
  • Town / City: Leeds
Re: First Service Today...
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 10:44:05 PM »
Must be different rules on your side of the Atlantic, we need to use a Motorrad dealer 100 for privileged.
2361 miles to next service? Again must be a USA thing, UK next service according to the book is 6000m. I was hoping the new bike would have 9000m service intervals in line with new oil technology and valve/cam design. Servicing is a bigger bill than insurance and road tax.

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2019, 12:40:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by Sooty01 [+]
Must be different rules on your side of the Atlantic, we need to use a Motorrad dealer 100 for privileged.
2361 miles to next service? Again must be a USA thing, UK next service according to the book is 6000m. I was hoping the new bike would have 9000m service intervals in line with new oil technology and valve/cam design. Servicing is a bigger bill than insurance and road tax.

In the US it is illegal for a manufacturer to deny warranty to anyone who does not use an authorized dealer for service as long as the service is recorded and or a receipt is available.

As far as the next service I  change my oil on my bikes at 2500 miles I assume you mean 6000Km on service interval which would be 3,728 US miles. Using the GS 911 I am able to set whatever miles and date I desire for the next service I simply entered 3,000 miles which left me with just under the 2500 miles I feel is optimum for oil life.

I have found through the years that there is a noticeable difference in the shifting of most bikes once the oil has around 2500 miles on it. Therefore I have accepted the fact that the oil starts to break down at that point and should be changed.
Keep in mind that not only does the oil lubricate the engine but also the transmission and clutch which can generate quite a bit of heat and sheer action on the oil shortening it's lifespan. I would rather do a few extra oil changes during the life of a bike than repair internal engine, transmission and clutch components.

Offline Sooty01

• GS Pro
  • Town / City: Leeds
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 09:25:25 AM »
Next servie -6000 miles. Although the stamp section of the service book says 6000km the maintenance section says every 6000m(10000km). 9000 miles like the Ducati and KTM would have been nice as twice a year servicing is as expensive as insurance.
It's been this way for at least 20 years and all our bikes have covered many miles with no problems.
Not much oil in the sump and extra oil changes do no harm, are you using motorcycle specific semi or fully synthetic oil? Do you change the filter at the same time?

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 12:01:34 PM »
This time I used the BMW Avantech because I purchased the supplies at the dealer when we picked up the bikes.
 My oil of choice is Motul 5100 and yes I change filters every time.
I may stick with the Avantech during the warranty period... Depends on pricing and availability.

I have a supplier with good pricing right here in New Jersey that I have used previously...
https://www.beemerboneyard.com/

Offline ab8mi

• GS Member
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Boerne, TX
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2020, 08:18:33 PM »
Just had my break in service completed and dealer tells me next service is 6000 Miles out.
Racing Red BMW 850 GS

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 02:33:50 AM »
*Originally Posted by ab8mi [+]
Just had my break in service completed and dealer tells me next service is 6000 Miles out.

I reset my service reminders for 2500 miles. We have 6,000 miles on our bikes and I will be doing the third oil change on them shortly.
I feel that the transmission gets notchy once the oil gets 2500-3000 miles on it and shifts much smoother with fresh oil.
After the first (600 mile) service with the BMW oil and filter I bought at the dealer when we picked up the bikes I have been using Motul 5100 oil and HiFlo oil filters which is what I used in all of our previous bikes.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 02:35:18 AM by SnoDrtRider »

Offline Xyzzy

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GSA
  • Town / City: Arkansas
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 01:07:11 PM »
What trailer is that?

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Pro
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 04:54:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Xyzzy [+]
What trailer is that?

It is an Aluma MC-210....
It is a great trailer, All aluminum except the Axle, Coupler and the Tie Downs which are Stainless Steel.
It has a pull out ramp in the back that stores under the trailer.

https://www.alumaklm.com/recreational/motorcycle/mc210-motorcycle-trailer

Offline Biostrom

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Mountain Maryland
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 03:55:39 AM »
Today was my first service at the dealership.  Total cost was $218.97.  Nothing that I could not have easily done myself, so next service (6,000 mi) will be in my garage.  Plan on switching to Liqui-moly racing oil, maybe it will quiet the noisy engine a bit.