• GS Member
    • FAZ
    • Bike: F850GS 2022
    • Town / City: London
    Alarm system
    on: Nov 28, 2022, 06.51 pm
    Nov 28, 2022, 06.51 pm
    Hello folks,

I have the factory fitted alarm system and my bike isn't keyless, it has a normal key which the dealer tells me is coded. I have the alarm on auto arm when the ignition is off, with the tilt sensor also on (all activated via TFT settings). Problem is, the alarm goes off at petrol stations when I'm refuelling! Am I missing a trick in the settings or something? Shouldn't the alarm recognise the key and not go off?

• Offline Matty589   gb

• GS Master  ‐    591

Offline Matty589

• GS Master
    • Bike: 2022 F850GSA
    • Town / City: Surrey
    Re: Alarm system
    Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2022, 12.53 pm
    Nov 29, 2022, 12.53 pm
    Hi, not sure exactly what youíre doing but I assume ignition is off and youíre using the key to open/close the petrol cap, resulting in movement being detected and the alarm going off? If so, yes, itís exactly what happens and with a keyed bike there is no fob supplied with which to disable the alarm. One of the many reasons why the factory alarm is a waste of money.

• Offline richardbd   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    168

Offline richardbd

• GS Pro
    Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2022, 04.44 pm
    Nov 29, 2022, 04.44 pm
    *Originally Posted by Matty589 [+]
    Hi, not sure exactly what youíre doing but I assume ignition is off and youíre using the key to open/close the petrol cap, resulting in movement being detected and the alarm going off? If so, yes, itís exactly what happens and with a keyed bike there is no fob supplied with which to disable the alarm. One of the many reasons why the factory alarm is a waste of money.

Are you sure that's right Matty?  I had a keyed RT with OEM alarm and there was a fob supplied - two in fact.  Mind you that was a while back, before BMW got quite so tight  :008:

If it is right, how's a bod supposed to put petrol in, open a pannier or do anything at all, without setting the alarm off??

• Online FAZ   gb

• GS Member  ‐    15

Online FAZ

• GS Member
    • FAZ
    Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2022, 07.16 pm
    Nov 29, 2022, 07.16 pm

Thanks for the input Matty, I find it very strange and I thought thereíd be some setting whereby I could have the alarm not go off when the ignition is off but Iím still operating the bike with the original keyÖ Although I did find it strange when I was given just two keys and no fob whatsoever! Iíll take it up with the dealer, as the alarm isnít cheap and had I known it was a nuisance Iíd have done without probablyÖ

• Online FAZ   gb

• GS Member  ‐    15

Online FAZ

• GS Member
    • FAZ
    Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2022, 07.20 pm
    Nov 29, 2022, 07.20 pm
    *Originally Posted by richardbd [+]
    Are you sure that's right Matty?  I had a keyed RT with OEM alarm and there was a fob supplied - two in fact.  Mind you that was a while back, before BMW got quite so tight  :008:

If it is right, how's a bod supposed to put petrol in, open a pannier or do anything at all, without setting the alarm off??

Hi Richard, interesting that you had a fob with your RTÖ How long ago was that? Iíll check with the dealer, as Iíd like to know more about the alarm settings - for example, if I disable the tilt sensor will the alarm still be on if the bike is tampered with otherwise than just being tilted? If so, that could be the solution to avoid the embarrassment at petrol stations 🤨

• Offline richardbd   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    168

Offline richardbd

• GS Pro
    Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2022, 07.24 pm
    Nov 29, 2022, 07.24 pm
    *Originally Posted by FAZ [+]
    Hi Richard, interesting that you had a fob with your RTÖ How long ago was that? Iíll check with the dealer, as Iíd like to know more about the alarm settings - for example, if I disable the tilt sensor will the alarm still be on if the bike is tampered with otherwise than just being tilted? If so, that could be the solution to avoid the embarrassment at petrol stations 🤨

2014 bike, so a while ago to be fair...

Dealer usually. good starting point for this kind of stuff.  Mine is always helpful, even if I don't like the answers!

• Offline Matty589   gb

• GS Master  ‐    591

Offline Matty589

• GS Master
    • Bike: 2022 F850GSA
    • Town / City: Surrey
    Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2022, 07.36 pm
    Nov 29, 2022, 07.36 pm
    *Originally Posted by richardbd [+]

Yes. The fob in question was originally introduced on the K1600GT but phased out around 2016 as BMW migrated to keyless ride for most bikes. At this point a non-keyless fob was no longer supported. I know because I bought a fob from the dealer for my 2016 R1200GS (non-keyless) and it didnít work. That was the response from BMW. So the alarm without a fob to disable it or with a fob to prevent the movement sensor activating is pointless - which is why mine stays off permanently.

• Offline richardbd   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    168

Offline richardbd

• GS Pro
    Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2022, 07.45 pm
    Nov 29, 2022, 07.45 pm
    Yes. The fob in question was originally introduced on the K1600GT but phased out around 2016 as BMW migrated to keyless ride for most bikes. At this point a non-keyless fob was no longer supported. I know because I bought a fob from the dealer for my 2016 R1200GS (non-keyless) and it didnít work. That was the response from BMW. So the alarm without a fob to disable it or with a fob to prevent the movement sensor activating is pointless - which is why mine stays off permanently.

Thatís completely bonkers!  Iím glad my 850 hasnít got an alarm and that my 1250 is now a Multistrada  :112: :112: :152: :152:

• Online FAZ   gb

• GS Member  ‐    15

Online FAZ

• GS Member
    • FAZ
    Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2022, 07.56 pm
    Nov 29, 2022, 07.56 pm

Thatís mental, and the bloody thing costed just shy of £300! Had I known that Iíd have gone keyless or swapped the alarm for something more useful!

Thanks anyway Matty!

• Offline smswy   us

• GS Member  ‐    33

Offline smswy

• GS Member
    • Learning & Living Again
    • Bike: 2022 F 850 GSA
    • Town / City: Rock Springs, WY
    Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2022, 08.29 pm
    Dec 03, 2022, 08.29 pm
    I received both the fob and key with my 2022 F850 GSA, which has premium package with keyless activation.

better