Author Question about the GPS  (Read 1333 times)

• Offline DTOM Tim   us

• GS Newbie  ‐    9

Offline DTOM Tim

• GS Newbie
    • Bike: 2022 F850 Adventure
    • Town / City: Sacramento Ca
    Question about the GPS
    on: Nov 05, 2022, 11.10 pm
    Nov 05, 2022, 11.10 pm
    So they sold me a $900 GPS with this bike but once I connected my phone to my dashboard I realized the GPS is totally unnecessary and also kind of counterintuitive compared to just using your cell phone that integrates to the dashboard. Is there any reason to keep this thing or should I just return it?

• Offline DTOM Tim   us

• GS Newbie  ‐    9

Offline DTOM Tim

• GS Newbie
    • Bike: 2022 F850 Adventure
    • Town / City: Sacramento Ca
    Re: Question about the GPS
    Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2022, 11.10 pm
    Nov 05, 2022, 11.10 pm
    Also is there any reason to keep the GPS cradle on the bike if you don't have the GPS?

• Online SnoDrtRider   us

• GS Master  ‐    759

Online SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
    • Out There!
    • Bike: F850GS
    • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
    Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2022, 11.21 pm
    Nov 05, 2022, 11.21 pm
    Depends on what you want your Phone/GPS to do...
    I have never used the BMW app for navigation as it is far too inadequate to navigate a 200-300 mile ride with. I like to have a map up on the Nav6 so I can see where I am at all times with turns coming up miles ahead not a few hundred yards.
    If you are going around the block or for a 50-100 mile ride the BMW app/navigation may be OK for you but if you are travelling hundreds of miles it is rather limited.

• Offline duncanmacster   au

• GS Pro  ‐    148

Offline duncanmacster

• GS Pro
    • duncanmacster
    • Bike: F850GSA 40 Years
    • Town / City: Melbourne
    Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2022, 11.09 am
    Nov 06, 2022, 11.09 am
    Whatever floats your boat. I prefer navigating with my GPS, keeping my phone for controlling other things. There is no correct answer, really.

• Offline doebag   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    151

Offline doebag

• GS Pro
    • Town / City: Spalding
    Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2022, 02.08 pm
    Nov 06, 2022, 02.08 pm
    Definitely subjective.
    I quite like the app as route guidance, it's a clear display [ though the roundabout symbol with a number in it for your exit takes a bit of getting used to, the arrow always points straight up] and you can prompt the next instruction using the jog wheel long before it would normally speak to you.
    However like others, I do like a map display raher than just turn by turn directions, especially in a city enviroment where directions come quickly.

You can remove the satnav mount and unplug the cable with no ill effects, but put a cover on the empty cable connector.

• Offline Matty589   gb

• GS Master  ‐    591

Offline Matty589

• GS Master
    • Bike: 2022 F850GSA
    • Town / City: Surrey
    Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2022, 07.05 pm
    Nov 06, 2022, 07.05 pm
    I much prefer a dedicated sat nav. Not only am I not burning through my phone data allowance and hammering the phone battery by being syncíed to my bike, the nav integrates perfectly with the bike and offers a much wider feature set. Itís also less likely to crash, overheat, lose connection or fail after an Apple/Android update. Finally Iím very suspicious of the whole way BMW goes about software updates - they seem to require a painfully slow connection from the dealer, the TFT can only accept a certain number of software updates over its life and the software that is installed seems buggy and unstable.

At least I would sing the navís praises more if it actually worked on my new bike. Currently sitting at the dealer waiting for a new cradle and possibly a TFT update. Never happened before - letís hope it didnít happen again!

• Offline Blueshurler   ca

• GS Member  ‐    30

Offline Blueshurler

• GS Member
    • Bike: 2022 850 GSA
    • Town / City: North Vancouver
    Reply #6 on: Dec 03, 2022, 12.05 am
    Dec 03, 2022, 12.05 am
    Isn't it also true that a phone requires a cell signal whereas the GPS uses satellites? I've ridden plenty of places with no cell signal but my GPS still works.

• Online SnoDrtRider   us

• GS Master  ‐    759

Online SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
    • Out There!
    • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
    Reply #7 on: Dec 03, 2022, 12.23 am
    Dec 03, 2022, 12.23 am
    *Originally Posted by Blueshurler [+]
    Isn't it also true that a phone requires a cell signal whereas the GPS uses satellites? I've ridden plenty of places with no cell signal but my GPS still works.

GPS on the phone will work without Cell signal but the problem is unless you have downloaded the maps to your phone the phone relies on data (Cell) signal to generate the maps whereas the GPS already has the map data stored on board to show where you are and where you are going.

Also take into account that a dedicated GPS is far more accurate than a phone GPS which is tasked with doing multiple tasks along with GPS data.

Last Edit: Dec 03, 2022, 12.26 am by SnoDrtRider

• Offline Boro8907   nz

• GS Member  ‐    37

Offline Boro8907

• GS Member
    • Bike: F850 GSA
    • Town / City: Auckland
    Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2022, 11.21 pm
    Dec 04, 2022, 11.21 pm
    There are two types of GPS your phone uses, satellite GPS the same as everything else, but it can also use A-GPS which uses the cell towers to triangulate your position if it needs to.
    So your phone is sometimes better in built up areas etc.
    I would to suggest always download your offline maps, to save on time and potential loss of signal.

• Offline PapaShifty   ca

• GS Newbie  ‐    2

Offline PapaShifty

• GS Newbie
    • Making Memories
    • Bike: 2019 F850 GSA
    • Town / City: Guelph, ON Canada
    Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2023, 08.41 pm
    Jan 08, 2023, 08.41 pm
    Just for what itís worth Ö. The Nav is so essential on the longer trips especially when you are out of cell service.  I went to Alaska a couple of years back and would have been lost without the Garmin Nav Ö we used several back roads.  Short trips I stick to the cell as it adds additional features like road reports, weather, traffic etc.  Itís all about your riding Ö.. if itís a NAV6 and youíre going to sell I would be interested in purchasing.

Ride Safe Ö Keep Making Memories Ö

PapaShifty

better