Author Footage options in 2022?  (Read 1705 times)

• Online MIKE R   gb

• GS Member  ‐    49

Online MIKE R

• GS Member
    • Town / City: Burnley
    Re: Footage options in 2022?
    Reply #10 on: Sep 12, 2022, 06.30 pm
    Sep 12, 2022, 06.30 pm
    Many thanks for your responses

I've done some more research and SW claim their Evo footpegs can be lowered by up to 1.5cm compared to the original which is about what I need

It looks like the SW footpegs will spray your feet out slightly which is something I'll have to research further.  I've attached an image below (taken off the internet) comparing the OEM footpegs with the SW Motech EVO ones

The footpegs for the 750/850GS are the same as on the 1000XR.  Fortunately a friend of mine has just fitted a set of MV EVO pegs on his XR.  I need to call around and have a look and talk.

I'll keep you guys fully informed of any developments

Mike
    Last Edit: Sep 12, 2022, 06.41 pm by MIKE R

• Offline Ursinii82   se

• GS Newbie  ‐    7

Offline Ursinii82

• GS Newbie
    • Bike: BMW F850GS Adventure
    • Town / City: Linköping
    Reply #11 on: Sep 12, 2022, 07.14 pm
    Sep 12, 2022, 07.14 pm
    Seems to me the only option so far is the Touratech pegs. No other is made with off-roading in mind and is lower than stock.
    Will order a pair in October if nothing else pops up.

Regards
    Daniel

• Online MIKE R   gb

• GS Member  ‐    49

Online MIKE R

• GS Member
    Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2022, 12.51 am
    Sep 13, 2022, 12.51 am
    Also considering the SW Motec ION footpegs

They claim that they will lower the pegs by 1.5cm like the EVO pegs but they will not alter the tilt which I don't think I need.

As a result they are cheaper and don't seem to stick out any more than the standard footpegs.

These pegs are really for the road which, again, is what I want

Mike
    Last Edit: Sep 13, 2022, 01.00 am by MIKE R

• Offline Matty589   gb

• GS Master  ‐    581

Offline Matty589

• GS Master
    • Bike: 2022 F850GSA
    • Town / City: Surrey
    Reply #13 on: Sep 24, 2022, 10.50 am
    Sep 24, 2022, 10.50 am
    I’ve fitted the Touratech pegs to my new 850GSA and they drop the peg height by the same amount as on the 750GS. I’m surprised how high the stock 850GSA pegs feel, and with adjustable gear and brake levers there’s plenty of room to drop them further but I’m not aware of any pegs that fit without the Verholen style block inbetween footrest and mount.

One other plus point about the Touratech pegs is that they’re about an inch further toward the front wheel, so even with a low seat they open up the angle at the hips just enough to prevent aches.

• Online MIKE R   gb

• GS Member  ‐    49

Online MIKE R

• GS Member
    Reply #14 on: Sep 24, 2022, 11.25 am
    Sep 24, 2022, 11.25 am
    Finally bit the bullet and bought a set of EVO footpegs for my 850GS

They do all I wanted them to do.  In the lowest position I have a fraction more leg room and, more importantly it is far easier to operate the rear brake.

Due to the bracketry needed for all the adjustment the actual pegs appear to be a lot further from the bike which may put some people off.  This is an optical illusion as shown in the image below.  I have held the original footpeg next to the SW Motech ones, with the mounting holes in the same position.  As you can see, the difference is marginal.

Mike

Last Edit: Sep 24, 2022, 11.29 am by MIKE R

• Online sav   za

• GS Member  ‐    56

Online sav

• GS Member
    • Sav
    • Bike: 2022 F850GS Rallye
    • Town / City: Safrica
    Reply #15 on: Sep 27, 2022, 06.29 am
    Sep 27, 2022, 06.29 am
    *Originally Posted by Ursinii82 [+]
    Seems to me the only option so far is the Touratech pegs. No other is made with off-roading in mind and is lower than stock.
    Will order a pair in October if nothing else pops up.

Regards
    Daniel
    Hi

I had the SW-Motech Evo adjustable pegs - was happy with them, except they offered very litle grip.

Replaced them with SW-Motech Ion now which sits 15mm lower than stock. They offer much better grip, while not being aggressive enough to destroy your soles.

• Offline Deefer   gb

• GS Member  ‐    19

Offline Deefer

• GS Member
    • Bike: 2018 f850gs
    • Town / City: Northampton
    Reply #16 on: Sep 27, 2022, 10.17 am
    Sep 27, 2022, 10.17 am
    *Originally Posted by MIKE R [+]
    Also considering the SW Motec ION footpegs

They claim that they will lower the pegs by 1.5cm like the EVO pegs but they will not alter the tilt which I don't think I need.

As a result they are cheaper and don't seem to stick out any more than the standard footpegs.

These pegs are really for the road which, again, is what I want

Mike

I have these also and they are excellent. I actually had them fitted to my Triumph Tiger 800 and on the off chance took them off before I sold the tiger and offered them up to the GS850 and they fitted perfectly so I sold the tiger with the standard pegs and fitted these ones to my GS.

I believe the standard tiger 800 and 1200 footpegs are the same as well so you may be able to find some advertised for a tiger 800 / 1200 on eBay or elsewhere that’ll fit for you.

• Offline smswy   us

• GS Member  ‐    17

Offline smswy

• GS Member
    • Learning & Living Again
    • Bike: 2022 F 850 GSA
    • Town / City: Rock Springs, WY
    Reply #17 on: Oct 13, 2022, 05.20 am
    Oct 13, 2022, 05.20 am
    Following. Wish I’d seen this thread earlier before I purchased the SW Motech EVO adjustable footpegs. Just installed them on 2022 F850GSA. They do drop 15mm as claimed, but that is top of metal OEM vs top of metal SWM EVO, with rubber insert removed. And they do stick out more due to adaptor and 2 piece construction. Have not ridden, but clear that if you right foot is centered and flat on the right peg, and pointing forward, you boot will only cover outer half of rear break pedal.  And the teeth are not as grippy, sitting on bike my boot soles were slipping back and forth.

The primary reason I wanted lowering is that it is very difficult to get the toebox of my Forma Terra EVO X series boot under the gear shifter even though I have that set to highest vertical position.  And in doing that you gain some vertical room, but you also bring the shifter closer to the footpeg since the gear shifter is up instead of forward. I’ve just been up-shifting by catching the 1/2” lip of the welded/stitched sole of the boot on the end of the rubber gear shifter.  No problem with less expensive boots or standard hiking boots.  You’d think BMW would have worked up a little better placement.  Anyone else having similar issue?

• Online sav   za

• GS Member  ‐    56

Online sav

• GS Member
    • Sav
    • Bike: 2022 F850GS Rallye
    • Town / City: Safrica
    Reply #18 on: Oct 13, 2022, 06.26 am
    Oct 13, 2022, 06.26 am
    *Originally Posted by smswy [+]
    Following. Wish I’d seen this thread earlier before I purchased the SW Motech EVO adjustable footpegs. Just installed them on 2022 F850GSA. They do drop 15mm as claimed, but that is top of metal OEM vs top of metal SWM EVO, with rubber insert removed. And they do stick out more due to adaptor and 2 piece construction. Have not ridden, but clear that if you right foot is centered and flat on the right peg, and pointing forward, you boot will only cover outer half of rear break pedal.  And the teeth are not as grippy, sitting on bike my boot soles were slipping back and forth.

The primary reason I wanted lowering is that it is very difficult to get the toebox of my Forma Terra EVO X series boot under the gear shifter even though I have that set to highest vertical position.  And in doing that you gain some vertical room, but you also bring the shifter closer to the footpeg since the gear shifter is up instead of forward. I’ve just been up-shifting by catching the 1/2” lip of the welded/stitched sole of the boot on the end of the rubber gear shifter.  No problem with less expensive boots or standard hiking boots.  You’d think BMW would have worked up a little better placement.  Anyone else having similar issue?
    I had those, and they worked fine with my GS Pro boots and brake lever extension. My only gripe was the fact that they were not grippy at all, which is why I've fitted the ION pegs. They do also stand out a bit further, but it's somehow more comfortable for me.
    Rubbers were removed of course. I wouldn't even try using the GS boots with the rubbers in place.
    Last Edit: Oct 13, 2022, 06.27 am by sav

• Online MIKE R   gb

• GS Member  ‐    49

Online MIKE R

• GS Member
    Reply #19 on: Oct 13, 2022, 03.54 pm
    Oct 13, 2022, 03.54 pm
    I'm very happy with my EVO pegs as I said above, but I do not, and do not intend to go off road with my 850 and have left the rubbers in.  I do see your point however, about the lack or grip with the rubbers removed.

I bought the EVO over the ION because I could determine how much I lowered the foot pegs and alter the angle of the pegs.  As it turns out I used the full 1.5cm which is the only amount the ION pegs can be lowered and kept the standard angle of the pegs so all the adjustments were not needed

Knowing this I would have bought the ION foot pegs if only to save a bit of money

Still happy with the EVO though

Mike