Author Touratech Upper engine guards  (Read 441 times)

• Online isl99   ca

• GS Member  ‐    28

Online isl99

• GS Member
    • Bike: BMW 2022 F850GS
    • Town / City: Victoria
    Touratech Upper engine guards
    on: Aug 12, 2022, 07.27 am
    Aug 12, 2022, 07.27 am
    So I just installed the Touratech upper engine guards on my 850gs and noticed the welds on this things are sloppy, very disappointed on the finish of these things for the price they want.

Not sure if anyone else has these on there bike but essentially the welds look like they were done by a high school kid blindfolded.

See attached picture, I don't find this acceptable.

• Offline MattR   gb

• Forum Help and Support
    • GS Pro  ‐    133

Offline MattR

• Forum Help and Support
    • GS Pro
    • Town / City: Bristol
    Re: Touratech Upper engine guards
    Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2022, 08.42 am
    Aug 12, 2022, 08.42 am
    Apparently Touratech now use KUKA welding robots for their welding. It's suppossed to be a low heat, high quality process so seems like the quality control inspections are not up to scratch.

I'd send it back if it's not right but looks like you've fitted it now.

:821:

• Online isl99   ca

• GS Member  ‐    28

Online isl99

• GS Member
    Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2022, 06.27 am
    Aug 13, 2022, 06.27 am
    *Originally Posted by MattR [+]
    Apparently Touratech now use KUKA welding robots for their welding. It's suppossed to be a low heat, high quality process so seems like the quality control inspections are not up to scratch.

I'd send it back if it's not right but looks like you've fitted it now.

:821:

Yeah, I noticed it before I put them on but shipping in Canada sucks and its a pita to return stuff, plus it ships from across the country. Getting MC parts in Western Canada isn't the best.

I probably should of stuck with the wunderlich's I was going to purchase but they want way too much for them here. :/

I could take a grinder to them to get the sharp pointy bits off and smooth out the edges but probably just make them look worse.

They aren't bad, horrible to install though.. not the best purchase. Doubt I would recommend their products again.

Last Edit: Aug 13, 2022, 06.29 am by isl99

• Offline Ozmachinist   ca

• GS Newbie  ‐    3

Offline Ozmachinist

• GS Newbie
    • Bike: F850GS
    Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2022, 10.42 pm
    Aug 27, 2022, 10.42 pm
    Iím also in Victoria waiting for my bike to arrive from Germany 🤨 trying to decide on crash bars too , how was the shipping and duty costs ?  Having seen sv mototech in person but the touratech ones seem the best coverage and reviews .  Hope to see you around town

• Online isl99   ca

• GS Member  ‐    28

Online isl99

• GS Member
    Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2022, 05.25 am
    Aug 28, 2022, 05.25 am
    *Originally Posted by Ozmachinist [+]
    Iím also in Victoria waiting for my bike to arrive from Germany 🤨 trying to decide on crash bars too , how was the shipping and duty costs ?  Having seen sv mototech in person but the touratech ones seem the best coverage and reviews .  Hope to see you around town

I try to get my parts from within Canada from the usual online distributors, there's sh#t all for parts on Vancouver Island, mostly its from back east.

There's more down south but getting it across the border and the exchange rates are brutal. Unless you can't find it in Canada its going to cost a lot of $$$.