Author New f850gs owner - Is hand numbing vibration normal for these bikes?  (Read 3335 times)

• Offline Matty589   gb

• GS Master  ‐    581

Offline Matty589

• GS Master
    • Bike: 2022 F850GSA
    • Town / City: Surrey
    Re: New f850gs owner - Is hand numbing vibration normal for these bikes?
    Reply #10 on: Aug 12, 2022, 02.00 pm
    Aug 12, 2022, 02.00 pm
    Itís a parallel twin. They didnít generally liked to be revíed much in their upper range when the engine has been designed for low- and mid-range torque. The old 700/800 series were even worse - by 5,500rpm they resembled a jackhammer ;)
    Theyíre also optimised for fuel economy so run relatively lean compared to some bikes. Iím happy with that compromise - it means I get about the same fuel range out of a 15L that Tenere World Raid riders will be getting from their 23L dual tanks :)

• Offline Roadapple   us

• GS Member  ‐    29

Offline Roadapple

• GS Member
    • Bike: 2019 F850GS
    • Town / City: Powell, OH
    Reply #11 on: Aug 15, 2022, 06.17 pm
    Aug 15, 2022, 06.17 pm
    One thing you can check is the RPM at which the mirrors start to blur.  I just checked my 850GS today and my mirrors just start to blur about 4500 RPM (75MPH in 6th).  If yours blur before that or you're turning higher RPM at 75 mph you might want to check to see if your bike has stock sprockets on it.  Another thing that can really help is to put ~1/4" foam sleeves over the stock grips.  It'll increase the grip diameter so you don't have to grip as tightly. Also will absorb some vibrations.  You might want to have the problem (if there is one) diagnosed at the dealer.  Hopefully he won't say "they all do that".  My bike runs very smoothly and I rarely go over 5000 RPM except for short bursts overtaking or just to enjoy the acceleration.

• Offline Dab19850gs   ca

• GS Member  ‐    37

Offline Dab19850gs

• GS Member
    • Bike: f850gs
    • Town / City: Scugog
    Reply #12 on: Aug 19, 2022, 09.57 pm
    Aug 19, 2022, 09.57 pm
    Hi Deefer,  I had some vibration coming through but only when on highway at decent speeds..about 115kmh and up.  was not terrible but enough that it would start to numb hands a bit.  Bought a used set of bar weights and installed and has made a noticeable change so that I have not had the numb feel come back!   

• Offline BDBMW850   ie

• GS Member  ‐    11

Offline BDBMW850

• GS Member
    • Bike: 2022 F850 GS Rallye
    • Town / City: Waterford
    Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2022, 02.00 pm
    Sep 12, 2022, 02.00 pm
    You may be holding the bars too tightly. Relax your grip and add "grip puppies". They seem too thick when fitted but quickly settle after a few hundred miles or kms. If you're tall adding bar risers helps too. I have raised mine 2.25 inches. Had to relocate the cables outside the fork legs by dropping the forks, but it's worth the couple of hours.

• Offline Deefer   gb

• GS Member  ‐    19

Offline Deefer

• GS Member
    • Bike: 2018 f850gs
    • Town / City: Northampton
    Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2022, 09.54 pm
    Sep 12, 2022, 09.54 pm
    thanks for all your comments, I thought Iíd do an update.

I took the biker to the dealership and one of their technicians took it out and confirmed that what I was experiencing was normal and similar to what other here have said.

I think I had been holding a bit too tight, and with more miles on the bike Iíve adjusted the bars and levers a few times to get it spot on, consciously loosened my grip and also adapted to the different engine style of the bike compared to the tiger that I was used to. This has all helped.

Also the other night I was tidying the garage and came across some old r&g bar ends which when I weighed them were heavier than the standard ones and with some modification to the hole size Iíve been able to fit them. That has made a huge difference and combined with the other measures Iím not getting numb hands at all any more.

Iíve gone ahead and ordered a set of bar ends from hornig that look the same as the originals but are heavier and just waiting for them to arrive, I think that will sort things out.

I also had a ride on my friends KTM 1290 the other day and realise the bar vibrations I was experiencing were nothing compared to that  :005:

So hopefully all will be well, itís a cracking bike and Iím looking forward to getting some tours done on it.

• Offline Deefer   gb

• GS Member  ‐    19

Offline Deefer

• GS Member
    • Bike: 2018 f850gs
    • Town / City: Northampton
    Reply #15 on: Sep 12, 2022, 10.02 pm
    Sep 12, 2022, 10.02 pm
    *Originally Posted by BDBMW850 [+]
    You may be holding the bars too tightly. Relax your grip and add "grip puppies". They seem too thick when fitted but quickly settle after a few hundred miles or kms. If you're tall adding bar risers helps too. I have raised mine 2.25 inches. Had to relocate the cables outside the fork legs by dropping the forks, but it's worth the couple of hours.

I did try grip puppies, my friend had some be removed from his bike when he bought it. I used them for a few rides out including a day trip of around 250 miles with a good mix of roads incl. motorway.

The grip puppies did help reduce vibes but I really disliked how much thicker they made the grips. I saw a discussion on another forum and someone who had a similar issue with grip puppies fitted a cricket bat handle grip over his grips and that gave just a little extra diameter whilst not being too thick. Iíve just had some arrive today so Iíll be trying that later this week.

• Offline BDBMW850   ie

• GS Member  ‐    11

Offline BDBMW850

• GS Member
    • Bike: 2022 F850 GS Rallye
    • Town / City: Waterford
    Reply #16 on: Sep 13, 2022, 09.52 am
    Sep 13, 2022, 09.52 am
    Best of luck with it. I did a 4000km tour recently over 6 days and had no issues. A few years back I had a hand injury and had to modify and lighten my grip with 2 unexpected results, firstly I had no vibration through my hands and secondly I found I had more control and better feel. Since then I have not bothered with grip buddies.

• Offline keefcambs   gb

• GS Member  ‐    71

Offline keefcambs

• GS Member
    • Bike: GS 850 2020
    • Town / City: Peterborough
    Reply #17 on: Sep 13, 2022, 10.27 am
    Sep 13, 2022, 10.27 am

i just did 571 miles in a day - on knobbly's no hand issues at all - did the old stand up and stretch when going through a 6 miles section at 40 mph, and the change bum position by sitting back on the seat - but hand's were fine - I also was at 5,000 rpm high 70ts plus a lot of the time and again no issues going through the bars.

I use silk gloves and thin summer / normal gloves (not leather) over the top - all good

• Offline Matty589   gb

• GS Master  ‐    581

Offline Matty589

• GS Master
    • Bike: 2022 F850GSA
    • Town / City: Surrey
    Reply #18 on: Sep 23, 2022, 08.07 pm
    Sep 23, 2022, 08.07 pm
    I recently changed bikes and forgot I had added a set of Evotech bar ends. I took them off to transfer to the new bike and the last 2 or 3 rides without them were noticeably more buzzy on the handlebars. So it appears they do make a difference - not surprising as theyíre basically adding 0.4Kg to each end of the bar ;)

• Offline Warnzie   au

• GS Member  ‐    13

Offline Warnzie

• GS Member
    • Bike: 22 F850gsa
    • Town / City: Gold Coast Straya
    Reply #19 on: Sep 25, 2022, 02.21 am
    Sep 25, 2022, 02.21 am
    A simple fix if you find it a tad buzzy at touring speeds and on tour, is to tape wheel weights to your bar ends😉👍 not the prettiest thing, although black tape hides it more but it works a treat and once your finished touring, just untape them. Did this in my f800r for long trips and was a amazing simple hack