Author New f850gs owner - Is hand numbing vibration normal for these bikes?  (Read 3332 times)

• Offline Deefer   gb

• GS Member  ‐    19

Offline Deefer

• GS Member
    • Bike: 2018 f850gs
    • Town / City: Northampton
    New f850gs owner - Is hand numbing vibration normal for these bikes?
    on: Aug 07, 2022, 12.28 am
    Aug 07, 2022, 12.28 am
    Hi all,

Apologies to do my introduction in the new member section and then start off with a question, but about a month bought a 2018 f850gs after spontaneously test riding and loving it. Itís taken a little getting used to with all the gadgets and gizmos it has on it after my previously very basic but lovely triumph tiger 800, but Iíve done about 600 miles and really starting to gel with it.

What Iím struggling with though is the hand numbing vibrations coming through the handlebars, and more so the throttle side. Iíve done some searching and it suggests that this is not a common issue and thereís not much chatter about on this forum so I thought Iíd ask.

Whilst I know itís a twin and that can be a bit vibey, Iím concerned it sends my hand to sleep and today the vibrations managed to break the camera on my iPhone when it was in the quadlock! Itís got chunky bar end weights and handguards fitted.

Any suggestions?

• Offline SnoDrtRider   us

• GS Master  ‐    737

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
    • Out There!
    • Bike: F850GS
    • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
    Re: New f850gs owner - Is hand numbing vibration normal for these bikes?
    Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2022, 12.51 am
    Aug 07, 2022, 12.51 am
    First off I would suggest you are gripping the bars too tight... I barely grip the bars on any bike I am riding which leaves me to question the need for cruise control or throttle locks...

I am from the automotive industry (40+ years) where we worked with impact guns, etc. for many decades before OSHA determined we needed padded gloves to offset the vibrations from the impact guns.
    Perhaps the normal state of my hands after all of these years has left me numb to the feeling of the vibrations but I can feel the difference between my 850GS and my Harley. 

• Offline Matty589   gb

• GS Master  ‐    581

Offline Matty589

• GS Master
    • Bike: 2022 F850GSA
    • Town / City: Surrey
    Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2022, 10.08 am
    Aug 07, 2022, 10.08 am
    Itís very much not a common issue. I came from both the previous F800 series and also the R1200 boxers, as well as being a previous Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha and Moto Guzzi owner. The F800 parallel twin had both piston moving together and a balancer counterweight that was almost entirely incapable of dampening vibes. I loved the fuel economy and the tractability of the engine but it was useless on a touring bike - numb hands (not just fingers!)

The F750/850 series got a new parallel twin engine with a different firing order and much better primary balance. I donít get numb fingers or hand even from several hoursí riding. Maybe your bike has an issue or perhaps youíre gripping the bars too tightly. I used to use weighted bar ends on my F800GT and have some on my F750GS, but mostly because they act as a cushion  to the bars and handguards in the event of an off. 

• Offline Deefer   gb

• GS Member  ‐    19

Offline Deefer

• GS Member
    Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2022, 06.09 pm
    Aug 07, 2022, 06.09 pm
    Thank you both for your replies, Iíve been out in the bike today and too bits of what youíre saying and whilst I might need to adjust the bars a bit to be able to have a looser grip Iím certain thatís not the issue.

Iíve also been a bit more analytical when riding it today, and actually the whole bike vibrates as the revs rise. It starts around 5000rpm and by about 8000 vibes are quite apparent in the footpeg too. The right side still moreso. I guess Iíve focussed more previously on my hand as itís the most important limb to be suffering from the vibrations.

Iíve put it into cruise control at a higher rev and can feel things getting very vibey with the increased revs.

Any ideas?

• Offline Matty589   gb

• GS Master  ‐    581

Offline Matty589

• GS Master
    • Bike: 2022 F850GSA
    • Town / City: Surrey
    Reply #4 on: Aug 07, 2022, 07.14 pm
    Aug 07, 2022, 07.14 pm
    8,000rpm??
    Itís a parallel twin designed largely for low and mid range torque. I rarely if ever get past 5,000rpm and tent to short shift before then. I donít have an issues with vibration but the times Iíve been up there it didnít feel all that comfortable. I usually hover around 4,000-4,500rpm where the sweet spot lies, at least on my bike. Still, it may be worth having the dealer look over it just in case.

• Offline SnoDrtRider   us

• GS Master  ‐    737

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
    • Out There!
    • Bike: F850GS
    • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
    Reply #5 on: Aug 07, 2022, 07.47 pm
    Aug 07, 2022, 07.47 pm
    *Originally Posted by Matty589 [+]
    8,000rpm??
    Itís a parallel twin designed largely for low and mid range torque. I rarely if ever get past 5,000rpm and tent to short shift before then. I donít have an issues with vibration but the times Iíve been up there it didnít feel all that comfortable. I usually hover around 4,000-4,500rpm where the sweet spot lies, at least on my bike. Still, it may be worth having the dealer look over it just in case.

Same here... My bike rarely if ever has been over 5,000 RPM.
    If you are intent on running a bike at 8,000 RPM you bought the wrong bike... a 4 cylinder Crotch Rocket / Sport Bike is what you want if you are going to run at that rpm.

• Offline Deefer   gb

• GS Member  ‐    19

Offline Deefer

• GS Member
    Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2022, 10.22 pm
    Aug 07, 2022, 10.22 pm
    Thanks for your replies, I am still readjusting to a twin but equally I donít tend to go high up the rev range, I did today for the purpose of analysing the issue and seeing if there was a pattern.

I do think though I tend to do go up to 6 regularly which is barely past half the rev range and I wouldnít expect such vibration when doing so. Iíll speak to the dealership as itís clearly not typical.

I certainly donít need a crotch rocket, the gs is rocket enough

• Offline Warnzie   au

• GS Member  ‐    13

Offline Warnzie

• GS Member
    • Bike: 22 F850gsa
    • Town / City: Gold Coast Straya
    Reply #7 on: Aug 10, 2022, 07.39 am
    Aug 10, 2022, 07.39 am
    Just a Aussie convict thinking out loud - we rarely do this as itís never good😂👍👍 could your vibes be a wheel balance issue or out of square tyre? Itís not rare to have oem tyres out of square from factory? Also, it could also be the tyres and the main bitumen you ride on. I found this with meteor tourance tyres. As I said out loud thinking

• Offline keefcambs   gb

• GS Member  ‐    71

Offline keefcambs

• GS Member
    • Bike: GS 850 2020
    • Town / City: Peterborough
    Reply #8 on: Aug 11, 2022, 10.52 am
    Aug 11, 2022, 10.52 am

Never had bad vibration through the bars - I have fitted
    Off set bar holders = better riding position
    Bark busters - which have weights in the end when you tighten them up ? I've read weights in the end of bars sometimes help ??
    Use cruise control where you can and relax
    Get the right gloves - I know a guy who brought gloves they use for road hammer drills / they are padded with gel - they work for him

8,000 rev is seriously high - although the vibration should not come through to the handlebars
    Have fun  :047:

• Offline Oldum   gb

• GS Newbie  ‐    9

Offline Oldum

• GS Newbie
    • Town / City: Bristol
    Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 2022, 12.40 pm
    Aug 12, 2022, 12.40 pm
    Iíve a 2019 model and experience as others have said when over 6000rpm, vibes to bars and foot pegs. Iíve the BMW Hand Guards installed but no additional weights.

Iím not a speed merchant (reactions long gone) so tend to tour around 4000 to 4500 where this helps me retain my license and keep fuel economy to a reasonable level.

On the quad lock I bought the anti vibration add on for it for a recent European tour and the camera was ok.

Not saying anything new here but good luck and enjoy the machine 👍