Author About to buy a police edition F850gs  (Read 483 times)

• Offline NathanKrupla   us

• GS Newbie  ‐    1

Offline NathanKrupla

• GS Newbie
    • Bike: F850gs-p
    • Town / City: Nashville, TN
    About to buy a police edition F850gs
    on: Jun 17, 2022, 12.24 am
    Jun 17, 2022, 12.24 am
    So I'm looking at an F850gs-p (police edition) here in Nashville.  I've already put a small deposit down on it, but I'm having second thoughts.  It's a 2020 with 800 miles on it.  Physically, the bike looks fantastic.  I'm waiting on their service department to check it over before they'll let me ride it.  (the deposit is refundable btw).

I'm worried that I won't be able to modify it later on.  There's wiring run all over this thing for various lights and sirens, and I don't know how hard all that stuff is going to be to remove.  There's so little on the net about this stuff.   Also, I just realize that the non-police 2020's have those really cool LCD displays, which this one is missing.  It has the mount for the GPS, but it doesn't have the TFT display.  Is that something I can upgrade to later.

Anyone have any experience with F850 police bikes?

• Offline RobsGS   ca

• GS Member  ‐    30

Offline RobsGS

• GS Member
    • Bike: 2019 F850GS
    • Town / City: East Gwillimbury
    Re: About to buy a police edition F850gs
    Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2022, 08.49 pm
    Jul 05, 2022, 08.49 pm
    I'm a retired police officer and this is the first I've ever heard of a police department using an F850GS....interesting.    The TFT isn't anything that can be added afterward.   It's pretty cool when everything's connected properly - ie/ TFT-Garmin GPS-Sena-iPhone, but sometimes it's a pain in the ass when they don't want to connect.   That said, even without, you still have all your data there and it's great to track your rides with the BMW Motorrad app.   But some people are traditionalists and love the analog speedo/tach setup.   It's all personal taste.   The only thing I can say about police vehicles is they idle an awful lot.   Then it's full throttle for a bit and back to idling.   That said, if it only has 900 miles on it, likely it was just for show/community service stuff.   I hope I didn't add to the confusion.  Good luck and let us know what you do.