Author Topic: Location of Tip-over switch?  (Read 527 times)

• Offline ohendo   us

• GS Member  ‐    23

Offline ohendo

• GS Member
    • Bike: 2019 F850GS Red
    • Town / City: Downingtown, PA, USA
    Location of Tip-over switch?
    on: May 02, 2022, 05.46 pm
    May 02, 2022, 05.46 pm
    Dropped the bike the other day while standing still  :151:
    To my surprise, the engine kept running until I switched it off.  I assume there's a tip over or lean angle switch to kill the engine, and if so I'm curious as to why mine does not function.  Any ideas on where this switch is located?  I'm searching parts microfiches but coming up empty so far.

Thanks.

Edit:  Found something under the battery called the 'angular rate sensor'.  Might that be it?  Figured this would be for front wheel angle, AKA wheelie control.

Edit 2: Google seems to hint that there is no such thing as a tip-over switch.  Coming from a Yamaha that had one, guess I may have learned something about the new Bimmer.
    Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 05.54 pm by ohendo

• Online SnoDrtRider   us

• GS Master  ‐    670

Online SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
    • Bike: F850GS
    • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
    Re: Location of Tip-over switch?
    Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 08.55 pm
    May 02, 2022, 08.55 pm
    *Originally Posted by ohendo [+]
    To my surprise, the engine kept running until I switched it off.  I assume there's a tip over or lean angle switch to kill the engine, and if so I'm curious as to why mine does not function.  Any ideas on where this switch is located?  I'm searching parts microfiches but coming up empty so far.

Thanks.

Edit:  Found something under the battery called the 'angular rate sensor'.  Might that be it?  Figured this would be for front wheel angle, AKA wheelie control.

Edit 2: Google seems to hint that there is no such thing as a tip-over switch.  Coming from a Yamaha that had one, guess I may have learned something about the new Bimmer.

I dropped my bike in the driveway @ 2MPH when I hit a patch of ice and the engine continued to run until I hit the kill switch.
    The "Angular Sensor" measures lean angle of the bike for the interactive abs and other functions. You can view lean angles either on a Nav 6 or in the Connected App on your phone.

I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

• Offline ohendo   us

• GS Member  ‐    23

Offline ohendo

• GS Member
    Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 09.40 pm
    May 02, 2022, 09.40 pm
    Thx, understood.  Have viewed lean angles in the connected app before. 

• Offline KER   us

• GS Member  ‐    18

Offline KER

• GS Member
    • Bike: F850 GSA
    • Town / City: MURRIETA
    Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 12.54 am
    May 10, 2022, 12.54 am
    In researching the problem with my 2019 850GSA, I was schooled of the function of the Speed Sensor by BMW Motorad.  It sits on the front right side of the battery.  Its a small device that reduces engine performance as part of traction control.  It detects dangerous vertical or horizontal bike angles to prevent wheelies or aggressive lean angle tip overs (or high sides).  I never came across a mechanical tip over sensor (kill switch) in my research.  This device came pretty close, though. :431:

• Offline richardbd   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    121

Offline richardbd

• GS Pro
    • Town / City: London
    Reply #4 on: May 14, 2022, 05.21 pm
    May 14, 2022, 05.21 pm

Thanks.

Never heard of a bike with a "tip over switch".  Neat idea though.  Does such a thing exist?

• Offline RadioFlyer   ca

• GS Member  ‐    48

Offline RadioFlyer

• GS Member
    • Town / City: Okanagan Valley
    Reply #5 on: May 14, 2022, 07.26 pm
    May 14, 2022, 07.26 pm

A "bimmer" is a car. A bike is a "beemer"

• Offline ohendo   us

• GS Member  ‐    23

Offline ohendo

• GS Member
    Reply #6 on: May 14, 2022, 08.06 pm
    May 14, 2022, 08.06 pm
    *Originally Posted by richardbd [+]
    Never heard of a bike with a "tip over switch".  Neat idea though.  Does such a thing exist?

Yep- as mentioned I came from a Yamaha FZ6 and the few times it ‘took a nap’ it killed the engine immediately.

• Offline ohendo   us

• GS Member  ‐    23

Offline ohendo

• GS Member
    Reply #7 on: May 14, 2022, 08.09 pm
    May 14, 2022, 08.09 pm
    *Originally Posted by RadioFlyer [+]
    A "bimmer" is a car. A bike is a "beemer"

Good to know, thx

• Offline diegocvive   co

• GS Junior Member  ‐    1

Offline diegocvive

• GS Junior Member
    • Bike: F850GS
    • Town / City: Bogota
    Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 03.04 pm
    May 17, 2022, 03.04 pm
    I had the same question some time ago when I fell off the motorcycle, at the service center they have no idea if the motorcycle had a rollover sensor or not until they investigated and the answer is that these types of motorcycles do not have such a sensor due to the type of use for which it was designed which could cause unexpected engine shutdown. I come from a Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and it does have a rollover sensor.

• Offline Matty589   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    496

Offline Matty589

• GS Pro
    • Bike: 2019 F750GS
    • Town / City: Surrey
    Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 08.40 am
    May 19, 2022, 08.40 am
    I can confirm there is no angle sensor on these bikes that cuts the engine. I have had a stationary drop on the F850GS I used to own and the engine kept running.
    I would assume the offroad origins of the GS preclude it as when riding off-road you could bank the bike over and cause the engine to cut off unexpectedly.

better