Author ADV Boots & shifting  (Read 1823 times)

• Offline Ribeye   us

• GS Newbie  ‐    6

Offline Ribeye

• GS Newbie
    • Bike: F850GS
    • Town / City: Long Island
    Re: ADV Boots & shifting
    Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2022, 02.36 am
    Jun 05, 2022, 02.36 am
    RobGS, It happened to me too...

I just picked up my F850GS on Friday, and was wearing new Forma Adventure boots (lower height version).

I got a few miles down the road, and found I could not get into 3rd gear. I pulled to the side of the road, checked things out, and returned to the dealer.  The mechanic test rode it, and said nothing was wrong, and that it was my boot, I did not believe him and insisted something was wrong. He ended up making an adjustment, to make more room for the boot, and I was able to get home while still experiencing it several times.

After I got home, I put on my hiking boots, went out for a ride, no more problem.  I do have the box, and they will be returned.

• Offline Frozenfrog   england

• GS Member  ‐    35

Offline Frozenfrog

• GS Member
    • Bike: F850GS Rallye Stylee
    • Town / City: Keighley-ish
    Reply #11 on: Jun 05, 2022, 05.41 pm
    Jun 05, 2022, 05.41 pm
    I had trouble with my Forma boots until I just added an extender to the gear shift and it solved the problem, cheap too. I also had trouble with the rear brake so I added an extender to that….three years in forma boots no issues, and great boots too.

• Offline sav   za

• GS Member  ‐    26

Offline sav

• GS Member
    • Bike: 2022 F850GS Rallye
    • Town / City: Safrica
    Reply #12 on: Jun 05, 2022, 05.51 pm
    Jun 05, 2022, 05.51 pm
    No issues since fitting the GSA lever. 👍🏻

• Offline RobsGS   ca

• GS Member  ‐    30

Offline RobsGS

• GS Member
    • Bike: 2019 F850GS
    • Town / City: East Gwillimbury
    Reply #13 on: Jun 06, 2022, 03.39 am
    Jun 06, 2022, 03.39 am
    *Originally Posted by keefcambs [+]

Rob GS - Don't care what boots you get these are a must I've been riding with them for over 6 years great socks never let me down - when I brought my first pair years ago I stood in the bath with 6" of water - they kept me dry - yes there expensive but give me a break we've just paid out 12,000£ for a GS - have fun - stay dry and warm
    https://www.sealskinz.com/collections/socks?gclid=Cj0KCQjw06OTBhC_ARIsAAU1yOXZwqaghLMltnDyvS6QIK5Y7-d-FVr88pthWuc6LoHhLH5R3x2w-IYaAkDQEALw_wcB

Thanks for the suggestion.  I’ve always worn merino wool hiking socks which are great but I’ll definitely look into the sealskinz…

• Offline RobsGS   ca

• GS Member  ‐    30

Offline RobsGS

• GS Member
    Reply #14 on: Jun 06, 2022, 03.42 am
    Jun 06, 2022, 03.42 am
    *Originally Posted by Ribeye [+]
    RobGS, It happened to me too...

I just picked up my F850GS on Friday, and was wearing new Forma Adventure boots (lower height version).

I got a few miles down the road, and found I could not get into 3rd gear. I pulled to the side of the road, checked things out, and returned to the dealer.  The mechanic test rode it, and said nothing was wrong, and that it was my boot, I did not believe him and insisted something was wrong. He ended up making an adjustment, to make more room for the boot, and I was able to get home while still experiencing it several times.

After I got home, I put on my hiking boots, went out for a ride, no more problem.  I do have the box, and they will be returned.

Yours was the same reaction I had.   I figured for sure the bike was broken.  I just did some adjustments and I’ll try again tomorrow.   I would have just returned them if I’d noticed earlier. 

• Offline RobsGS   ca

• GS Member  ‐    30

Offline RobsGS

• GS Member
    Reply #15 on: Jun 06, 2022, 03.43 am
    Jun 06, 2022, 03.43 am
    *Originally Posted by Frozenfrog [+]
    I had trouble with my Forma boots until I just added an extender to the gear shift and it solved the problem, cheap too. I also had trouble with the rear brake so I added an extender to that….three years in forma boots no issues, and great boots too.

Good to know…thanks!

• Offline Ribeye   us

• GS Newbie  ‐    6

Offline Ribeye

• GS Newbie
    • Bike: F850GS
    • Town / City: Long Island
    Reply #16 on: Jun 06, 2022, 10.40 pm
    Jun 06, 2022, 10.40 pm

Keeping the boots, I do really like them, doing this;

*Originally Posted by sav [+]
    No issues since fitting the GSA lever. 👍🏻

• Offline seldredg   us

• GS Member  ‐    45

Offline seldredg

• GS Member
    • Bike: 2021 BMW F850 GSA
    • Town / City: La Honda, CA
    Reply #17 on: Jun 10, 2022, 03.51 am
    Jun 10, 2022, 03.51 am
    Easiest to me was to lower the pegs 1.75" or so. Even with an adjustable shift lever ('19 GSA) I had trouble shifting in adventure boots. I tried Wunderlich lowered peg mounts and liked them, so I had the stock mounts cut and rewelded longer. Wunderlicj pegs are available.

• Offline Underdog   gb

• GS Newbie  ‐    4

Offline Underdog

• GS Newbie
    • Bike: 850gs TE
    • Town / City: Uttoxeter
    Reply #18 on: Jul 21, 2022, 10.06 pm
    Jul 21, 2022, 10.06 pm
    *Originally Posted by RobsGS [+]
    Last year on a trip, it pissed rain and my feet were absolutely soaked in my Joe Rocket boots.    I knew at the time they were inexpensive, so that's on me.   I recently bought a pair of Forma Adventure boots and I took them out for a spin, only to find that I can't shift gears.   I actually had to use the heel of the boot to upshift....not ideal.   So to counter that, I spent $300 on an SW Motech adjustable shifter.   It's a beautiful piece of kit, but I can only shift marginally better.    I found I had to re-adjust my foot depending on the gear I'm looking for.  I went out today with my Joe Rockets and no issue.   Has anyone had a similar issue and if so, what was your fix?   I tossed the box, so I'm sort of stuck with the boots other than throwing them on Kijiji.    I'll look for other boots in the meantime or else go all out and buy a Hondamatic AT (jk).   

Rotate the shift on the spline by one or two teeth. 5 minute job, solves the problem.

• Offline RobsGS   ca

• GS Member  ‐    30

Offline RobsGS

• GS Member
    Reply #19 on: Jul 23, 2022, 04.03 am
    Jul 23, 2022, 04.03 am
    Unfortunately there’s only so much room to play or it’s hitting the casing.   I bought 20mm lower pegs and an SW Motech adjustable shifter.  It still took a while to get my shifts done.  I’ve worn the boots on my travels to the north (8000 kms so far) and I did get it sorted.  No missed shifts now.  The boots are good.  I wouldn’t go as far as to say they’re amazing, but good.