• GS Newbie  ‐    3

Offline GTO

• GS Newbie
    • Bike: 2019 F850GSA
    • Town / City: Chiang Mai
    Re: High Milers?
    Reply #10 on: Jun 15, 2022, 12.58 pm
    Jun 15, 2022, 12.58 pm
    I've just had my 40K km service at BMW in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Valve gasket replaced, sprockets and chain, oils, filters, rear brake pads, etc... About $1000 USD.
    The quick shifter had broke just prior and was replaced under warranty. Bike is running great, with improved fuel consumption.
    I also just got a new set of bridgestone battleaxe AT41. I rode in a torrential downpour yesterday in the Thai twisty mountains and felt very safe. It was raining so hard I almost drown from water coming in helmet.... Lol
    Ride safe

• Offline RobsGS   ca

• GS Member  ‐    30

Offline RobsGS

• GS Member
    • Bike: 2019 F850GS
    • Town / City: East Gwillimbury
    Reply #11 on: Jun 16, 2022, 01.52 pm
    Jun 16, 2022, 01.52 pm
    *Originally Posted by Matty589 [+]
    Mine has 7700 miles and has a replacement camchain tension, sump pan (oil leak, but Iíve heard it was a design fault that apparently got rectified) and left grip assembly in 2.5 years. All under warranty without question. Not perfect but Iíve not yet been left stranded (apart from battery going flat after 2 weeks, but that wasnít at the roadside).

Good to know, thanks.   Not being stranded at the side of the road is key.   Any battery can fail I suppose.   

• Offline RobsGS   ca

• GS Member  ‐    30

Offline RobsGS

• GS Member
    Reply #12 on: Jun 16, 2022, 01.58 pm
    Jun 16, 2022, 01.58 pm
    *Originally Posted by GTO [+]
    I've just had my 40K km service at BMW in Chiang Mai, Thailand. Valve gasket replaced, sprockets and chain, oils, filters, rear brake pads, etc... About $1000 USD.
    The quick shifter had broke just prior and was replaced under warranty. Bike is running great, with improved fuel consumption.
    I also just got a new set of bridgestone battleaxe AT41. I rode in a torrential downpour yesterday in the Thai twisty mountains and felt very safe. It was raining so hard I almost drown from water coming in helmet.... Lol
    Ride safe
    That's great information and other than a valve gasket, everything are normal wear items.   I hadn't looked at the Bridgestones.   I've got a set of Motoz Tractionator GPSs waiting for me along my trip route.   I'm looking forward to giving them a shot.   Enjoy Thailand....I can't imagine the riding there!

• Offline krugerjq   za

• GS Member  ‐    28

Offline krugerjq

• GS Member
    • Bike: F850GS
    Reply #13 on: Jul 22, 2022, 08.59 am
    Jul 22, 2022, 08.59 am
    My bike just came back from 20 000 Km service and the engine is definitely quieter. On 20K they check and adjust valve clearance.

• Offline netaron   us

• GS Member  ‐    92

Offline netaron

• GS Member
    • Town / City: Scottsdale, AZ
    Reply #14 on: Jul 22, 2022, 05.09 pm
    Jul 22, 2022, 05.09 pm
    Because of the loud startups and leaking radiator and the fact that the gs was no longer made in Deutschland, I sold it and went with a KTM 790 AdvR. I gave up on-road comfort for great off-road handling, mainly due to better suspension on the KTM. My bike has been at the dealer for over 2 months for the infamous camlobe and follower wear which has been a nightmare to deal with. I will say this much, if I had to choose right now, I'd kept my GS and upgraded the suspension and the belt tensioner as mentioned by snodrtrider. BMW is a wonderful company to deal with compared to ktm when it comes to warranty work or goodwill work. The parts are expected sept. 15th, so it'll be over 4 months that I'm paying for a bike I'm not riding.

• Offline RobsGS   ca

• GS Member  ‐    30

Offline RobsGS

• GS Member
    Reply #15 on: Jul 22, 2022, 05.17 pm
    Jul 22, 2022, 05.17 pm
    Geez.  Thatís such a shame.   Thatís a whole riding season shot.   Hopefully it comes in sooner.  Fingers crossed.

• Offline netaron   us

• GS Member  ‐    92

Offline netaron

• GS Member
    • Town / City: Scottsdale, AZ
    Reply #16 on: Jul 23, 2022, 12.12 am
    Jul 23, 2022, 12.12 am
    *Originally Posted by RobsGS [+]
    Geez.  Thatís such a shame.   Thatís a whole riding season shot.   Hopefully it comes in sooner.  Fingers crossed.
    Yes, it is unfortunate.

• Offline SnoDrtRider   us

• GS Master  ‐    706

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
    • Out There!
    • Bike: F850GS
    • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
    Reply #17 on: Jul 23, 2022, 01.46 am
    Jul 23, 2022, 01.46 am
    *Originally Posted by netaron [+]
    Because of the loud startups and leaking radiator and the fact that the gs was no longer made in Deutschland, I sold it and went with a KTM 790 AdvR. I gave up on-road comfort for great off-road handling, mainly due to better suspension on the KTM. My bike has been at the dealer for over 2 months for the infamous camlobe and follower wear which has been a nightmare to deal with. I will say this much, if I had to choose right now, I'd kept my GS and upgraded the suspension and the belt tensioner as mentioned by snodrtrider. BMW is a wonderful company to deal with compared to ktm when it comes to warranty work or goodwill work. The parts are expected sept. 15th, so it'll be over 4 months that I'm paying for a bike I'm not riding.

So it looks like BMW is not the only manufacturer who has had issues with cam follower and camshaft wear... Reading most of the forums one would be lead to believe BMW is the only manufacturer that has these issues.
    Perhaps KTM is also having engines built in China or it is an isolated issue with a common vendor that both BMW & KTM use? I can't help but think that other manufacturers have similar issues.
    For the record our 2019 750 & 850 have no issues with the cams or followers.