Author Topic: F850 GSA engine stutters going up very steep hills  (Read 2258 times)

• Offline KER   us

• GS Member  ‐    18

Offline KER

• GS Member
    • Bike: F850 GSA
    • Town / City: MURRIETA
    F850 GSA engine stutters going up very steep hills
    on: Jan 15, 2022, 05.07 pm
    Jan 15, 2022, 05.07 pm
    My 2019 F850 GSA with 2,400 miles seems to have trouble climbing steep grades.  The throttle response prior to the incline is excellent, however, after hitting the steep angle, the engine bogs down, rpms stop accelerating (@5k) and the engine starts to stutter.  Once the steep area is cleared the engine comes back to life and takes off. This happens in Road and Dynamic mode and in "any" gear.  I did not test Enduro Pro mode, unfortunately.  I have two other bikes (non BMW) that have no problem going up the steepest hill, so I don't think its engine load.  I checked the fuel level, full.  The breather lines clear.  The air filter clean.  Has anyone experienced this problem?  Could it be the wheelie control be reacting to the steep angle and disrupting the ignition (feels like you hit the Rev limiter)?  The dealer thinks I should just avoid this hill...  They are able to replicate it, so they don't think I am crazy.  I have asked them to test it in Enduro Pro to see if it is the wheelie control sensor.  I hope they can figure it out, I don't think its dangerous, just unnerving. :087:

• Offline SnoDrtRider   us

• GS Master  ‐    670

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
    • Bike: F850GS
    • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
    Re: F850 GSA engine stutters going up very steep hills
    Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2022, 06.43 pm
    Jan 15, 2022, 06.43 pm
    If it is on a loose surface like dirt or gravel the traction control my be sensing some wheel slip and trying to control it. If on hard surface perhaps try a lower gear? @ 5,000 RPM I would think the engine should not be having a power issue due to being in too high a gear but it may be worth a try.
    I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

• Offline KER   us

• GS Member  ‐    18

Offline KER

• GS Member
    Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2022, 08.17 pm
    Jan 15, 2022, 08.17 pm
    Thanks for your thoughts.  The hill is smoothly paved and really steep, there might be some rear wheel slippage.  I usually go up in third gear when the throttle seems to stop abruptly.  Recently, I tried in second gear, unfortunately, with the same results.  I need to try in first gear to see if it makes a difference and I also need to try without the traction control turn on (Enduro Pro mode).

• Offline SnoDrtRider   us

• GS Master  ‐    670

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
    • Bike: F850GS
    • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
    Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2022, 12.50 am
    Jan 16, 2022, 12.50 am
    *Originally Posted by KER [+]
    Thanks for your thoughts.  The hill is smoothly paved and really steep, there might be some rear wheel slippage.  I usually go up in third gear when the throttle seems to stop abruptly.  Recently, I tried in second gear, unfortunately, with the same results.  I need to try in first gear to see if it makes a difference and I also need to try without the traction control turn on (Enduro Pro mode).
    I have used regular Enduro mode (without the jumper connected) with good results. I used Enduro Pro as well in a situation where I thought there might be some bad sections which after a mile turned out to be some rough semi paved road and the suspension was so stiff that I thought I might loose a few fillings!
    I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

• Offline Mtbikergt78   us

• GS Member  ‐    20

Offline Mtbikergt78

• GS Member
    • Bike: 850 gsa rallye
    • Town / City: Colorado Springs
    Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2022, 11.17 pm
    Jan 16, 2022, 11.17 pm
    Interesting, in the 19000 miles I have on my gsa 850 have not experienced this,  heck if anything I am beyond impressed how mountain goaty this bike is on steep trails here in Colorado.  Like others may have mentioned experiment with the traction control…. Next thing fuel quality?  Air filter super dirty?  Really no idea other than that.

• Offline KER   us

• GS Member  ‐    18

Offline KER

• GS Member
    Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2022, 11.52 pm
    Jan 16, 2022, 11.52 pm
    Thanks!

• Offline SHAG   us

• GS Member  ‐    39

Offline SHAG

• GS Member
    • Town / City: Bradford, Pa
    Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2022, 01.48 am
    Jan 17, 2022, 01.48 am
    If you pull in the clutch and try to blip the throttle a few times while it's bogging down, do the rpm's change?  Does slipping the clutch just a little help?

Does that bike really have a wheelie control? Do these bikes have a tip over shut off feature?

Your problem seems to be electronic. Hope you get it resolved soon!
    F750GS Premium
    Yamaha X-Max
    2022 ZERO FXE

• Offline KER   us

• GS Member  ‐    18

Offline KER

• GS Member
    Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2022, 03.41 am
    Jan 17, 2022, 03.41 am
    Great recommendations.  To your question on wheelies, the manual says that front-wheel lift-off detection is switched off in Enduro Pro mode only, which I have not tested yet (the dealer has the bike).  It also says that short wheelies are capable in Dynamic mode, which I did test with no impact on the bogging issue.  Regarding lean angle, under the Traction Control section, the manual also says:

"Traction control compares the front and rear wheel circumferential velocities. The differential is used to compute slip as a measure of the reserves of stability available at the rear wheel. If slip exceeds a certain limit, the engine management system intervenes and adapts engine torque accordingly."  "In accordance with the laws of physics, the ability to accelerate is restricted more and more as the angle of heel increases. Consequently, there can be a perceptible reduction in acceleration out of very tight bends.". I would think this would help prevent a high side out of a corner.

I was thinking that this system may be interpreting the steep angle as a possible loss of control and reduce power.  I do want to try your recommendation to blip the throttle to see if its restricted.  The hill in question is so steep, it never crossed my mind to just pull the clutch in, for fear of stalling (I have downshifted with no impact on rpm's).  Now that I know what to expect, I'll give it a try.

Thanks
    Last Edit: Jan 17, 2022, 03.42 am by KER

• Offline KER   us

• GS Member  ‐    18

Offline KER

• GS Member
    Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2022, 05.52 pm
    Jan 25, 2022, 05.52 pm
    Just got my F850 GSA back from the dealer.  $110 dollars later, they are able to tell me that they "can" confirm the problem.  However, they can not find a solution, other than using Enduro Pro to climb steeper roads.  They were speculating the the installation of the Tractive Cartridge could have changed the bikes geometry.  Good idea, too bad this was happening prior to the install (@ 600 mikes).

I was able to try a few things, pulling in the clutch, while bogging, allows the engine to Rev over 5k.  As soon as there is a load put back on the motor, it restricts the revs back to 5k max.  Enduro Pro mode eliminates the issue completely, allowing full revs up the hill.  Using the electronic suspension adjustment, I turned off the Traction Control.  Once done, its a new bike!  No hesitation in any gear on the steepest grade (26 degree) in any Mode.  It could be my imagination, however, the engine seems more lively on smaller hills.  I thought it was just the limitations of the horsepower. :047:

BMW Motorrad is taking a look.  Its been turned over to a case manager.  Lets see what they say.  I think its the ECU, or a wheel sensor(ABS is working perfectly).

I would prefer to have DTC on, but none of my other bikes have it, so not a big change.
    Last Edit: Jan 25, 2022, 05.53 pm by KER

• Offline Pyxis   us

• GS Junior Member  ‐    1

Offline Pyxis

• GS Junior Member
    • Bike: 2021 F750GS
    Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2022, 03.23 pm
    Feb 08, 2022, 03.23 pm
    So my 2021 F750GS has the same prob. Less than 600 mi, out in the first adv ride going up a fairly steep rocky dirt road, it boggged down and stalled. No place to turn around or go down. Every time i let the clutch out it was like it was in 5th gear. I could rev it up but after the clutch is out it has no power.
    Ive tried all the modes (the 750 doesnt have enduro pro) but it does it with DTC on and off. My buddy has the 2021 850GS, had the same prob. It sounds like there may be a factory problem from reading other posts.
    I'm interested in what others have experienced or found out.