Author Topic: Spoked wheel whining noise  (Read 1308 times)

• Offline babidro   gr

• GS Newbie  ‐    3

Offline babidro

• GS Newbie
    • Bike: BMW F850 GS
    • Town / City: MAROUSI
    Spoked wheel whining noise
    on: Dec 29, 2021, 05.10 pm
    Dec 29, 2021, 05.10 pm
    I have read several posts regarding the noise coming from the wheels and I would like to share my experience.
    I recently bought a F 850GS (2018 year with 8.000Km) and new Anakee III tyres.
    I had serious noise coming from the tyres and mostly at about 50 and 105 Km/h. It was like a police car was chasing me.
    I asked a BMW dealer and told me that the noise comes from the Anakee tires.
    I changed the rear tire with a Metzeler Next. The noise was seriously reduced but it was not disappeard. Now there is a whining noise at all speeds even when I am almost stopped.
    I changed again both my tires with Pirelli Scorpion but again the same noise!
    I rided a friend's same bike and I heard the same noise. I took for a ride a F 750 GS with aluminium wheels instead of my spoked ones and I did't hear the noise at all.
    I have a thought that maybe it is the spoked wheels which make this noise. They may be react as a speaker!
    It is very annoying to ride a bike and hear this noise! i don't know what would be asolution.
    Could You share Your opinions? Especially those who had noticed the same noise and had posted in the past.
    Did anyone came to  any conclusion and solved the problem?

• Offline richardbd   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    125

Offline richardbd

• GS Pro
    • Town / City: London
    Re: Spoked wheel whining noise
    Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2022, 05.43 pm
    Jan 06, 2022, 05.43 pm
    Anakee 3s are definitely the worst tyres Iíve ever had for this problem - on my 1200, my 1250 and my 850. I always throw them away straightaway now.  Itís the tyres, not the wheels.  My 1200 had spoked wheels; my 1250 has cast wheels.  Same issue.

In my experience the only way to eliminate the noise completely is to fit pure road tyres. Road 5 is my choice on the 1250.  On the 850 which is used for some gravel I have Akakee Adventures.  Theyíre better (quieter) than Anakee 3s - but not much.

• Offline babidro   gr

• GS Newbie  ‐    3

Offline babidro

• GS Newbie
    Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2022, 04.42 pm
    Apr 21, 2022, 04.42 pm
     Richard road 5 are quite??? Are they 100% road tyres?

• Offline Matty589   gb

• GS Master  ‐    502

Offline Matty589

• GS Master
    • Bike: 2019 F750GS
    • Town / City: Surrey
    Reply #3 on: May 27, 2022, 07.59 am
    May 27, 2022, 07.59 am
    Iím conflicted with the Anakee 3s. They do indeed whine, although mine havenít done so throughout their entire life, but now theyíre squared it is much more noticeable. On the plus side, of all the tyres I have had on bikes, the tread pattern seems to be the best picking up road crap. Back when I had an F800GT with Conti Road Attack tyres, I had 4 rear punctures in 6 months (maybe I was unlucky!)
    Iím up over 9,000 miles now on the original Anakees and even though they are squared off, particularly at the rear, there probably another 3-4,000 miles left. Another plus point is that front and rear have worn at approximately the same rate, so come the annual service in October Iíll get a new set fitted - and TBH it will probably be another set of Anakee 3s. Earplugs cut down most of the whine for me - and itís far better than on my 1200GS, which was plain awful!

• Offline richardbd   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    125

Offline richardbd

• GS Pro
    Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 08.09 am
    May 27, 2022, 08.09 am
    *Originally Posted by babidro [+]
    Richard road 5 are quite??? Are they 100% road tyres?

Yes and yes

• Offline richardbd   gb

• GS Pro  ‐    125

Offline richardbd

• GS Pro
    Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 08.39 am
    May 27, 2022, 08.39 am
    *Originally Posted by Matty589 [+]
    Iím conflicted with the Anakee 3s. They do indeed whine, although mine havenít done so throughout their entire life, but now theyíre squared it is much more noticeable. On the plus side, of all the tyres I have had on bikes, the tread pattern seems to be the best picking up road crap. Back when I had an F800GT with Conti Road Attack tyres, I had 4 rear punctures in 6 months (maybe I was unlucky!)
    Iím up over 9,000 miles now on the original Anakees and even though they are squared off, particularly at the rear, there probably another 3-4,000 miles left. Another plus point is that front and rear have worn at approximately the same rate, so come the annual service in October Iíll get a new set fitted - and TBH it will probably be another set of Anakee 3s. Earplugs cut down most of the whine for me - and itís far better than on my 1200GS, which was plain awful!

So possibly 13,000 miles Matty?

I must be doing something wrong. I donít think Iíve ever had a rear tyre still properly fit to ride after about 6,000 miles on any bike!

My V4S MTS is just coming up for 4,000 and I can already feel that the rear Road 6 is starting to skip a bit on the white lines.

• Offline babidro   gr

• GS Newbie  ‐    3

Offline babidro

• GS Newbie
    Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 11.35 am
    May 27, 2022, 11.35 am
    The only think I want to inform all of You is that because of this noise I sold my 850

better