Author Topic: New member from Austin TX  (Read 394 times)

• Offline Pooch   us

• GS Junior Member  ‐    5

Offline Pooch

• GS Junior Member
    • Bike: 850GS
    • Town / City: Austin
    New member from Austin TX
    on: Dec 11, 2021, 08.51 pm
    Dec 11, 2021, 08.51 pm
    Hi forum,

Just picked up new ‘21 Rallye / Premium Pkg from Freedom Powersports in Hurst TX. This is my first in-line twin BMW, have previously owned an ‘05 and ‘11 1200 GS and an ‘02 1200RT and ‘15 1250RT.

Look me up if you’re around or plan to visit Austin area.

Pooch
    Pooch
    Austin TX

AMA F-X & Supersport #55 (retired)
    MSF Certified Rider Coach

• Offline jaythedreamer   us

• GS Junior Member  ‐    8

Offline jaythedreamer

• GS Junior Member
    Re: New member from Austin TX
    Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2022, 04.12 pm
    Jan 03, 2022, 04.12 pm
    Waiting for my 2022 850GS Rallye. How do you find the transition from the big GS /RT to 850?

• Offline Stixx   us

• GS Member  ‐    19

Offline Stixx

• GS Member
    • Bike: 2022 BMW F 750 GS
    • Town / City: TUCKER GA
    Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2022, 11.24 pm
    Jan 09, 2022, 11.24 pm
    NOT sure but if the question was directed at me I can only say we'll see.  Right now I'm liking the smaller is better and on the road I can't tell much difference at all. I do feel a bit lighter overall and that is what i needed . But my age is making everything seem harder and heavier as I've lost some muscle with the inactivity brought on my Covid

That said. I am pretty sure this might well be the last bike i need to buy short of totaling it as all of the Beemers I've owned have been high mileage bikes and trips as long as 8500 miles were done more than once. So now that I'm down to sorties in the hills of the tri state area of GA ,NC ., and TN will preclude  my touring goals I suspect.  I love what they have done with the bike overall and other than making maintenance more of a chore due to the need to remove a LOT of the plastic to get down to component maintenance. I realize they make them to be fast to build and leave the head scratching and panel removal to be comprehensive just to remove a lower panel you pretty much have to remove the whole da,nm top.
    RR
    Born in America , raised in the South by the grace of God.  Love to ride the hills of North Georgia ,North Carolina , and Tennessee.

• Offline Pooch   us

Offline Pooch

• GS Junior Member
    Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2022, 07.04 pm
    Jan 12, 2022, 07.04 pm
    *Originally Posted by jaythedreamer [+]
    Waiting for my 2022 850GS Rallye. How do you find the transition from the big GS /RT to 850?

Congrats on your new 850. Totally different beast than my boxers. I've owned >50 different bikes spanning most all makes, sizes/displacements and types/categories, so it's hard for me to describe the transition in words that translate to another rider. I have no idea how moto-journalists do it! I can say if you are 5'10" or over, and have decent upper body strength and balance, you can flog the hell out of this bike and it just takes it and keeps on rolling. Have fun.
    Pooch
    Austin TX

Offline jaythedreamer

• GS Junior Member
    Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2022, 07.15 pm
    Jan 12, 2022, 07.15 pm
    I am not a tall rider, 5'7" and about 29" inseam. But I have ordered the factory low suspension with low seat option version. Hopefully I could manage it. I am fine with body strength and manageability though (have managed heavier bikes).
    BTW no news from dealer even after 6 weeks!
    Last Edit: Jan 12, 2022, 07.17 pm by jaythedreamer

• Offline Pooch   us

Offline Pooch

• GS Junior Member
    Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2022, 07.55 pm
    Jan 12, 2022, 07.55 pm
    *Originally Posted by jaythedreamer [+]
    I am not a tall rider, 5'7" and about 29" inseam. But I have ordered the factory low suspension with low seat option version. Hopefully I could manage it. I am fine with body strength and manageability though (have managed heavier bikes).
    BTW no news from dealer even after 6 weeks!

You should be fine w/low version / low seat. You'll lose some suspension travel but you probably won't miss it unless you're doing Travis Pastrana-like shenanigans. BMW supply is about 100 days plus in arrears, patience is the order of the times.
    Pooch
    Austin TX

Offline jaythedreamer

• GS Junior Member
    Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2022, 08.19 pm
    Jan 12, 2022, 08.19 pm
    Thanks Pooch for the replies. My second contender is S1000XR, somehow I like that bike. Let me see how far this delivery goes  :002:

better