Author Topic: Damaged keyless ignition switch  (Read 797 times)

• Offline Martyn49   gb

• GS Junior Member  ‐    5

Offline Martyn49

• GS Junior Member
    • Town / City: Nr Beverley
    Damaged keyless ignition switch
    on: Dec 02, 2021, 06.36 pm
    Dec 02, 2021, 06.36 pm
    Some low life today attempted to steal my bike, luckily a work colleague noticed what was going on and the thief fled, but not before he broke my steering lock casing 🤬. My question is has anyone used a second hand switch and stripped down to swop the electrical box, or am a going to have to bite the bullet and get a new one then take to dealer to have it paired ?   😡😡🤬🤬🤬

• Offline knutk   no

• GS Member  ‐    77

Offline knutk

• GS Member
    • Town / City: South in Norway
    Re: Damaged keyless ignition switch
    Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2021, 08.45 pm
    Dec 02, 2021, 08.45 pm
    *Originally Posted by Martyn49 [+]
    Some low life today attempted to steal my bike, luckily a work colleague noticed what was going on and the thief fled, but not before he broke my steering lock casing 🤬. My question is has anyone used a second hand switch and stripped down to swop the electrical box, or am a going to have to bite the bullet and get a new one then take to dealer to have it paired ?   😡😡🤬🤬🤬

As far as I understand, the pairing is not performed by the switch, it's performed and stored in the ECU. Hence, the switch is just a Dummy. The antenna for keyless is to be found under the seat, the unit that is also used as an emergency start if your FOB battery is dead.

Cheking the repair DVD the DVD says that when changing the switch control unit, it needs to be coded, but if changing the switch only, the  electronics will not be changed. But there is no pictures of details to indicate wether it's even possible to separate the switch from the controll unit

Probably a good idea to get this confirmed by the dealer.
    Last Edit: Dec 02, 2021, 09.03 pm by knutk

• Offline Martyn49   gb

Offline Martyn49

• GS Junior Member
    Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2021, 12.09 am
    Dec 03, 2021, 12.09 am

Thanks for the info will take the switch off the bike tomorrow. interesting you say no antenna on the switch itself, will start combing the net for switch think the part number covers a few different bikes 👍

• Offline rudygt   us

• GS Member  ‐    16

Offline rudygt

• GS Member
    Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2021, 12.23 am
    Dec 04, 2021, 12.23 am
    i also was notified the RF antenna is under the seat,
    i was told it is that circular area right next to the battery on the clutch side of the bike

• Offline Newguy   us

• GS Pro  ‐    302

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
    • Bike: 850 GS
    • Town / City: Bellingham
    Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2021, 11.32 am
    Dec 06, 2021, 11.32 am
    Thanks for the info will take the switch off the bike tomorrow. interesting you say no antenna on the switch itself, will start combing the net for switch think the part number covers a few different bikes 👍
    I've only owned 2 bmw so far, the antenna is never on the switch itself but the location varies. Bummer about the bike, hope your insurance covers it.

• Offline Martyn49   gb

Offline Martyn49

• GS Junior Member
    Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2021, 11.41 am
    Dec 06, 2021, 11.41 am
    Thanks Newguy, Put the post out there to get confirmation regarding the switch and if requiring trip to dealer to pair which has been answered. Havenít got my insurance involved because the excess is prob more than the switch costs, will keep looking for a used switch on the sale sites, bike still runs fine just no steering lock which are useless anyway , back to disc lock, ride safe all 😊👍 

• Offline Newguy   us

• GS Pro  ‐    302

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
    • Bike: 850 GS
    • Town / City: Bellingham
    Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2021, 03.16 pm
    Dec 07, 2021, 03.16 pm
    Thanks Newguy, Put the post out there to get confirmation regarding the switch and if requiring trip to dealer to pair which has been answered. Havenít got my insurance involved because the excess is prob more than the switch costs, will keep looking for a used switch on the sale sites, bike still runs fine just no steering lock which are useless anyway , back to disc lock, ride safe all 😊👍

https://www.boonstraparts.com/en/part/bmw-f-850-gs-2017-2019-f850gs-k81-ignition-switch-lock-set-with-immobiliser-2018-8392345/000001096836
    Might be high, i don't know.

better