Author Topic: Non-premium Fuel Mileage  (Read 802 times)

• Offline outbush   au

• GS Junior Member  ‐    2

Offline outbush

• GS Junior Member
    • Town / City: Katherine
    Non-premium Fuel Mileage
    on: Nov 30, 2021, 05.33 am
    Nov 30, 2021, 05.33 am
    Does anyone have any data on fuel mileage when using non-premium (less than 95RON in Australia. Not sure on exact numbers/systems for other countries) fuel? Is it better or worse? My manual reccomends running fuel additives when using less than premium. Does anyone have experience with using these?

Off the main routes in Northern Australia there can be no fuel for hundreds of kms and you're lucky to get unleaded petrol let alone premium. As soon as the weather cools off I'm looking to get out there again but I don't want to sell myself short calculating my fuel requirements.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

• Offline TimeVampire   au

• GS Member  ‐    20

Offline TimeVampire

• GS Member
    • Town / City: Victoria
    Re: Non-premium Fuel Mileage
    Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2021, 01.12 pm
    Nov 30, 2021, 01.12 pm
    I use 91 fuel & my gauge (on the highway) gives about 380km/tank on the 750GS which is a 15 Litre tank I think

hth

• Offline rudygt   us

• GS Member  ‐    16

Offline rudygt

• GS Member
    Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2021, 12.20 am
    Dec 04, 2021, 12.20 am
    you must have a different manual, somewhere i've seen that the bike requires "premium" fuel, i believe i seen that on the website.
    but that doesnt mean anything, as premium is not an octane rating,
    the octane rating given on the back of the USA manual is stated

Recommended fuel quality - Regular unleaded (max. 15% ethanol, e15)
    87 AKI (91 ROZ/RON)
    87 AKI

Im not a pro in knowing the compression ratio and turning that into octane ratings, but i can google it to find out
    regardless, higher octane fuel is more retarded so that it doesnt explode and "knock" during the compression before the spark.
    my bike is a USA bike though, so im not sure if there is some differences, i do believe i have the euro 5 exhaust.
    can you confirm it specifically says an octane, and not use the word premium?

• Offline outbush   au

• GS Junior Member  ‐    2

Offline outbush

• GS Junior Member
    • Town / City: Katherine
    Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2021, 01.01 am
    Dec 04, 2021, 01.01 am
    I've attached two pictures. First is from the 2019 manual and the second from the 2020 manual for an Australian/0K01 (Same as Euro spec I believe) 850 GSA.

This does not even provide the option to run below 95 RON. This is the same as the physical manual I have with my bike.

Whereas the following year gives these guidelines.

Knocking isn't so much of a concern for me here. I have read somewhere that the bike has knock detection which will automatically alter the tuning and run fine albeit at a lower power output. I have no reference for this so take it for that it is.
    Last Edit: Dec 04, 2021, 01.01 am by outbush

• Offline rudygt   us

• GS Member  ‐    16

Offline rudygt

• GS Member
    Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2021, 01.51 am
    Dec 04, 2021, 01.51 am
    well, that clears things up, mine is a 2021 model, and it follows the second image but only the right side when it list octane.
    thats crazy to think they changed the compression ratio between 2019 and 2020, and yet have the same 90 hp,
    while requiring different fuel octanes.
    nowhere does it have anything listed above 87 aki, on the back of the manual, and on page 121-122, i just checked under fuel.
    it does say all the stuff about not using the bike and low-grade fuel, but i can only imagine that means
    some country's dont have good fuel, and to use stabilizers if you are storing it, and additives to, i dont even know.
    its like how shell gas stations, if you have those there, have some advertising of some additives that do this and that.

i know oil has all sorts of important additives, i imagine fuel is burnt to fast, and additives are only needed
    to protect the tank, pump, lines, and injectors. im not worldly so i dont know about fueling up in a country deemed to not
    have "premium fuel"
    this might be worth contacting bmw motorrad directly and providing info and asking for a response, i doubt they can tell you.
    but something isnt right at all.

my only thoughts are, in 2021 every EU bike sold was to be euro 5 compliant and its possible that has something to do with it.
    as i understand, lower octanes are more volatile and to me that would seem to burn better. but im no expert.
    i just put 87 aki in my bike and she runs like a champ, i did run 93 and 91 non ethanol (marine gas as some call it), but it was a waste.

edit: i also heard the bike has anti knock sensors and detunes it, but im thinking thats for all current bmw's, or possibly the r1200/r1250's
    Last Edit: Dec 04, 2021, 01.54 am by rudygt

• Offline Roadapple   us

• GS Member  ‐    18

Offline Roadapple

• GS Member
    • Bike: 2019 F850GS
    • Town / City: Powell, OH
    Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2021, 02.33 pm
    Dec 05, 2021, 02.33 pm
    I have a 2019 F850GS and  because my manual's "Recommended fuel quality" calls for "normal unleaded" AKI 87 I ran regular 87 octane in it for over a year and never noticed any knocking or lack of performance.  Then I noticed the BMW website calling for premium grade fuel for this bike.  I contacted both Motorrad USA and Germany about this and the responses I received were totally useless and didn't answer the basic question of which is right.  Since then I've been using premium because it seems to me that the relatively high compression ratio should need it.  I still don't notice any difference.  Maybe the newer versions of the 850 have different requirements.  I never did an accurate comparison of fuel mileage between the two grades of gas but it seems close to the same.
    Last Edit: Dec 05, 2021, 02.34 pm by Roadapple

• Offline Newguy   us

• GS Pro  ‐    302

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
    • Bike: 850 GS
    • Town / City: Bellingham
    Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2021, 11.25 am
    Dec 06, 2021, 11.25 am
    The answers the last guy got are useless because there's no point in asking. Put whatever fuel you have into the tank as long as it's not E85. It's damned gas, not rocket science.  :745:

• Offline notacop   us

• GS Member  ‐    38

Offline notacop

• GS Member
    • Bike: F750GS
    • Town / City: Temple City
    Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2021, 02.04 pm
    Dec 07, 2021, 02.04 pm
    I ran regular for the first 1000 miles and wondered the same thing and then switched to premium at the pump. Don't notice the difference.  I ran regular in my 800ST for 58K miles and it ran fine and got MPG's as high as 71 mpg tooling around the high country in Colorado.
    I got 70 mpg with the 750 riding Angeles Crest from East to West a a leisurely rate with a fresh tank of premium. Averaged 50 mpg running 70 mph on the freeway on Sunday, 240 mile run.

better