BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Kappa Screen  (Read 595 times)

Offline krugerjq

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS
Kappa Screen
« on: Oct 17, 2021, 07.51 AM »
I decided to buy a bigger screen. Went for the Kappa D5127S

The bike feels completely different. The ride is so much quieter than with the standard screen.....   

Offline MIKE R

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Burnley
Re: Kappa Screen
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2021, 10.54 PM »
Looks good

Mike

Offline Gazza750

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Adventure
  • Town / City: Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2021, 06.39 PM »
Looks good, especially tinted 👍🏻

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2021, 11.14 AM »
OP - What is your height and inside leg? Deciding on whether screen or another is better can be an expensive and time consuming exercise. I stuck with the OEM touring screen as every other tall screen I tried (MRA vario, Givi, Madstad, Powerbronze) gave terrible head shake and buffeting, both with and without additional mounting hardware.
One thing that I believe is different with BMW screens is the quality of the plastic and the profile - they seem more aerodynamic and I definitely get far less buffeting than on any other screen. The Givi and Madstad particularly are slab designs with a thick top edge, and I wonder whether that has an impact?

Offline krugerjq

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2021, 12.20 PM »
I am 176 cm and inner leg about 82 cm
This Kappa screen is exactly the same as the Givi D5127S. I see there is a GIVI Touring Screen D5110ST also. I did not like the look of that one.
My original screen was small and not adjustable and did not really give any protection.  The Kappa screen definitely makes a difference. With the small screen I had lots of wind on my chest and helmet and with the Kappa screen almost nothing. On hot days (30 Deg +) I can feel the screen deflecting all wind away from me to the point that I almost want to unzip my jacket to cool down. The ride is also quieter. I did not know the engine was so noisy.  I liked the way the kappa and Givi D5127S looked. It almost have an OEM look to it. It definitely fits better around the light than the standard OEM one. So far I have not noticed buffeting. 

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2021, 12.19 PM »
Thanks for that. I tried the Givi Airflow but it wasnít for me. Interesting feedback on the Kappa/Givi D5127ST,especially as I have similar inside leg and height to you. Compared to some solutions like the Madstad itís relatively inexpensive, too. The OEM touring screen with the adjustable mount is great in summer but doesnít give much weather protection when itís cold or wet.