BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Control Cluster - And Headlight goes on when clutch is engaged  (Read 604 times)

Offline duncanmacster

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GSA 40 Years
  • Town / City: Melbourne
This morning I fitted my Voigt Teknik handlebar risers - 30mm up and 25mm back - to my 850GSA. A huge help to me fitting on the bike.

Two issues: Firstly, the control cluster operated by my left thumb has rotated forward. Could someone please tell me how to rotate it back again?
Secondly, I noticed that when I pull in my clutch, the headlight goes on. Never noticed it before. It is not logical, not German, must be wrong. So, any clues?

Cheers.
Just want to ride

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
Re: Control Cluster - And Headlight goes on when clutch is engaged
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2021, 09.50 PM »
I could be wrong but I believe the controls are set into a notch and then screwed together, therefore I donít think you can rotate the switchgear.
Regarding the headlight, are you inadvertently touching the high beam switch now the handlebar rotated? Or perhaps something to to with the cables?

Offline Alan R

• GS Member
« Reply #2 on: Oct 16, 2021, 10.50 AM »
Cause and effect? Have these problems only occurred since you fitted the bar risers?
Is the orientation of the bars different to the original, non problematic position? If so, how about slackening the bar clamps and rotating the bars to approximate the same position?
There is no link that I can bring to mind between the operation of the clutch and the headlight, other than your index finger possibly being in the same vicinity due to a change in bar orientation.
If that doesnít work, what else did you do other than add the bar risers - specifically to the left hand switch gear?
Itís very difficult to offer remote, unsighted advice based upon a vague description of what the fault is and what you may have done to bring it about. Also, a picture paints a thousand words. Post a picture of what the left hand switch gear now looks like so comparison can be made with an unaltered set up
Alan R
« Last Edit: Oct 16, 2021, 10.54 AM by Alan R »

Offline habakuk_cz

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Praha 9
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2021, 11.12 PM »
your clutch lever is touching high beam button when you are engaging it. You have to rotate it down, or rotate the buttons assembly with left grip - there is a hidden screw between grip and rotating instrument which you have to unscrew and drill a hole into handlebars in a different position.

Offline duncanmacster

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GSA 40 Years
  • Town / City: Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2021, 03.22 AM »
So simple. I feel quite embarrassed! Thanks for pointing it out to me. I would buy you a beer if you were closer.
Just want to ride