BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: F850GS quick shifter problems  (Read 682 times)

Offline krugerjq

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS
F850GS quick shifter problems
« on: September 27, 2021, 07:56:13 AM »
I have noticed the last few weeks that my quick shifter  is not always working the same. It happend a few times that I can not shift from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to third especially if I do a fast pull-off. The other thing that happened twice is that it ended up between gears. This morning it ended up in neutral and the other day between 5th and 6..... very strange.

Anybody else having problems?

Offline krugerjq

• GS Member
Re: F850GS quick shifter problems
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2021, 09:19:47 AM »
Update.... Contacted the dealer and they are collecting the bike next week to check whats wrong.

Also after adjusting the clutch cable slightly tighter at the clutch lever this morning I had a trouble free ride to work this morning.

Offline purds

• GS Member
  • Town / City: PETERBOROUGH
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2021, 05:39:35 PM »
I never use the quick shift for 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd tbh - doesn't work well IMHO.
I also don't bother with it unless I'm pressing on a bit when it really comes into its own.

Offline krugerjq

• GS Member
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2021, 09:19:56 AM »
When I got my bike I hardly used it but after some time I actually started enjoying it.......

Looks definitely if adjusting the slack on the clutch cable worked. Again this morning a faultless ride to work. Almost just using the clutch to pull away.   

Offline RobsGS

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: 2019 F850GS
  • Town / City: East Gwillimbury
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 05:07:05 PM »
Sorry....late to the race.....I had my quick shifter replaced under warranty at the end of July.    Whether or not you use it, it affects many functions when it's broken.    Hopefully it'll get fixed under warranty and you'll be good to go

Offline krugerjq

• GS Member
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 05:22:44 PM »
Looks like it is fine after adjusting the slack on the clutch cable.... I spoke to the workshop manager where I bought the bike and he explained very nicely how the thing should be adjusted. I followed his instructions and so far no more problems.... :152: