BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Windshield for tall riders  (Read 775 times)

Offline Ikyto01

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Neuquén
Windshield for tall riders
« on: Sep 22, 2021, 04.52 PM »
Hi Folks!.

I'm 2,02m tall ( 6 feet 5 inches). When i bought mi bike, I installed a tall windscreen from GIVI ( Kd5127st ). Sadly, its not tall enough for me and at highway speed, wind noise is almost unbearable.

I tried reinstalling the original windshield to no avail. The results where even worse since i received the wind flow directly on my chest.

Are there any of you who had the same problem and was able to find a solution? Your suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Offline Danmaz

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Bedford
Re: Windshield for tall riders
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15, 2021, 03.12 PM »
Hi

I'm not quite as tall as you (6'2) but I've had the same challenge trying to find a solution to the horrible helmet buffeting at motorway speeds. So far I've tried;

Stock screen - wind gets driven straight into my jaw and makes the helmet shake like crazy

Ermax Touring Screen - Created a huge amount of turbulence and was actually quite a lot worse than the stock screen

Givi D5127ST - This one was actually pretty good and would be ideal for riders below about 5'11. Great wind and weather protection for the body and shoulders, and a nice pocket of  clean air behind the screen. Unfortunately it just isn't tall enough and pushes the air into my helmet at about temple level, creating a similar situation to he stock screen. It looks like we've had a similar experience with this one.

Madstad bracket with 22" screen -  Eye wateringly expensive but I'm hoping it does the trick. I'm currently waiting for it to be shipped from the USA but reviews are good and It's still cheaper than buying another bike, which is what I'll end up doing if it doesn't work. You might want to go for the 24" option because of your extra height.

I'll let you know how I get on with it once it arrives in a few weeks....

Offline BBrabyn

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Feilding
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2021, 08.05 AM »
Hi there, Im 6 ft and had a similar issue, my bike is fitted with a tall Givi screen, I added the below screen extension from Aliexpress that has made a huge difference:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32961344088.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dkRGLK1

Offline Ikyto01

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2021, 06.38 PM »
*Originally Posted by Danmaz [+]
Hi

I'm not quite as tall as you (6'2) but I've had the same challenge trying to find a solution to the horrible helmet buffeting at motorway speeds. So far I've tried;

Stock screen - wind gets driven straight into my jaw and makes the helmet shake like crazy

Ermax Touring Screen - Created a huge amount of turbulence and was actually quite a lot worse than the stock screen

Givi D5127ST - This one was actually pretty good and would be ideal for riders below about 5'11. Great wind and weather protection for the body and shoulders, and a nice pocket of  clean air behind the screen. Unfortunately it just isn't tall enough and pushes the air into my helmet at about temple level, creating a similar situation to he stock screen. It looks like we've had a similar experience with this one.

Madstad bracket with 22" screen -  Eye wateringly expensive but I'm hoping it does the trick. I'm currently waiting for it to be shipped from the USA but reviews are good and It's still cheaper than buying another bike, which is what I'll end up doing if it doesn't work. You might want to go for the 24" option because of your extra height.

I'll let you know how I get on with it once it arrives in a few weeks....

Thanks Dan! Great advice!

Let me know how your new windshield turned out.

Since I live in Argentina, anything imported is exceedingly expensive and even harder to find.

I ended up buying a small spoiler to ad to the top of my tall givi windshield. It was the best alternative I could think of until my next travel abroad.

I'll let you know how it turns out as well.

Offline Ikyto01

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2021, 06.40 PM »
*Originally Posted by BBrabyn [+]
Hi there, Im 6 ft and had a similar issue, my bike is fitted with a tall Givi screen, I added the below screen extension from Aliexpress that has made a huge difference:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32961344088.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4dkRGLK1

I ended up buying something very similar.

I let you know how it works as soon as I get it installed.

Thx!

Offline Danmaz

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Bedford
« Reply #5 on: Nov 08, 2021, 10.16 PM »
So, Madstad bracket and screen (22") fitted and it's made a quite a difference

In the high position I now have clean air hitting the top of my helmet with smooth "whoosh" of wind noise rather than the horrible noise and vibration  from all the other screens I've tried. There is still a little buffeting (but it's a bike, not a car) and I need to experiment a little more with the height and angle adjustment, but I reckon this is the best option for you'll find for the f850gs.  If you are any taller that 6'2 then I'd recommend going for the 24" screen.

I'm also interested to see how the bike rides with the stock screen fitted to the Madstad bracket, but will wait until the summer to give that a go.

Overall, the Madstad kit is very expensive to get in the UK but it seems well engineered, fits nicely and works pretty well 👍🏻