BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Givi TAN01 Fuel Jerry Can DIY mounting  (Read 438 times)

Offline WorldCitizen

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS Rallye
  • Town / City: Palmela
Givi TAN01 Fuel Jerry Can DIY mounting
« on: September 20, 2021, 06:44:53 PM »
Hi,
I had this ideia of mounting a 1 gallon rotopax on the inside of my left Givi frame, copying the Outback system. However, I realized it won't fit due to the ESA system on my F850GS.
I'll stick with the cheap (12) Givi TAN 2,5L fuel can, maybe two of them. The mount is a rip off at 75 and I don't want them bolted to the side cases for when I switch to softbags.

So... Where and how to mount them?

A) I've seen that it fits on the inside of the left frame, so I can weld a small plate one the inside, closer to the rear and strap it there. But this only works for the left side. And I might want the toolbox there.

B) I might weld a small plate with two wholes facing the inside of the frame, then bolt an L plate which would place the jerry can on the rear, behind the side case.

Front crash bars, I don't have, but I also wouldn't want the bike landing on top of a fuel container if it goes side ways.

Offline notacop

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
  • Town / City: Temple City
Re: Givi TAN01 Fuel Jerry Can DIY mounting
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2021, 10:51:14 PM »
Interesting. I just ordered the Outback saddle bag frames with the Rotopak mount for my F750GS. But you're suggesting it won't work due to the ESA suspension? I have the same set up. I've got a Kolpin can to mount. Disappointing if it does work and an expense for the mounting plate.
Just checked the bike, It's that black and copper colored tube of the ESA mounted on the frame that gets in the way, eh?
I ordered the mounting plate separately so perhaps I can move back a bit on the bag mounts? I'll have to wait and see.

Offline notacop

• GS Member
  • Bike: F750GS
  • Town / City: Temple City
Re: Givi TAN01 Fuel Jerry Can DIY mounting
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 11:11:12 PM »
 I just mounted the Outback Motortek racks and other than some cheesey hardware, which I will replace, the Rotopak mounting plate looks like it will work just fine. I've got plenty of space between the Kolpin can I have and the cylinder that's part of the suspension.
The mounting plate can be positioned all over the frame. With the Kolpin facing rearward I could even refill it on the bike. Might be kinda helpful in the future.