BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Rear tyre change ? 18' ?  (Read 497 times)

Offline MitzaPCH

• GS Member
  • Bike: 850 gs
  • Town / City: Bucharest
Rear tyre change ? 18' ?
« on: September 17, 2021, 06:36:23 PM »
Would it be possible ? what else do I need to change ? i just hate the 17' rear wheel.

Offline Alan R

• GS Member
Re: Rear tyre change ? 18' ?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 10:50:41 PM »
One would have to identify a donor wheel with identical sprocket carrier and brake disk mountings.
 Is the bike in question an alloy wheeled f750gs or a spoked wheeled f850gs ? If the former then search the BMW range for a chain drive bike with an 18 inch wheel. Not many about I would say.
 If an f850gs, then probably lacing an 18 inch rim onto the original hub is an option. This may affect the speedometer  read out and the brake abs function.
Alan R

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 11:35:47 PM »
Easiest and likely most inexpensive thing to do is contact Buchanan's and see if they can build you a wheel using your original hub or supply you spokes and a rim so you can have it assembled locally or do it yourself...

http://www.buchananspokes.com/categories/rims.asp

Of course you may loose the ability to use tubeless tires if the cross spoke style rims are not available in 18" which would also mean loss of TPMS if your bike is equipped with it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 11:40:47 PM by SnoDrtRider »
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline richardbd

• GS Member
  • Town / City: London
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 11:49:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by MitzaPCH [+]
Would it be possible ? what else do I need to change ? i just hate the 17' rear wheel.

I have heard many, many comments about front wheel size but this is the first time Iíve ever heard anything about the rear wheel!

Just what is it you hate about it??