BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Does SAT NAV Prep need to be Need to activated  (Read 917 times)

Offline Huge701

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: SWANSEA
Does SAT NAV Prep need to be Need to activated
« on: September 17, 2021, 10:39:05 AM »
Any one know is sat nav prep has to be activated in the main screen/ecu by main dealer or should it just work by plugging in the cradle ?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 11:07:44 AM by Huge701 »
Huge701

Offline richardbd

• GS Member
  • Town / City: London
Re: Does SAT NAV Prep need to be Need to activated
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 02:03:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Huge701 [+]
Any one know is sat nav prep has to be activated in the main screen/ecu by main dealer or should it just work by plugging in the cradle ?

AFAIK it just works when you plug in.  I borrowed an 850 from my dealt and used a 4-button cradle on the bars.  Just plugged the cradle into the connector in top right of cockpit, below the screen.  Didn't try to make wonder wheel work though.

Offline Huge701

• GS Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 05:27:25 PM »
Thatís what I would have thought 😳
Even though mine powers up via the plug it wonít connect to the main screen via Bluetooth or WiFi eBay ever it is.
Iíll ask the main dealer next time Iím down there.
Huge701

Offline richardbd

• GS Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 05:43:59 PM »
Even though mine powers up via the plug it wonít connect to the main screen via Bluetooth or WiFi eBay ever it is.

I donít bother with any of that nonsense. I connect Nav6 to helmet and phone to Nav6 and thatís it. All works fine and Nav6 is controlled by the wonder wheel.  What more could a chap want/need?

I like the appearance of the TFT screen but itís far too clever for its own good. Itís coming to something when you need to RTFM to rest the trip meter  :087:

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 08:42:10 PM »

The Nav does NOT connect to the TFT! It connects to the bike to get all the info such as lean angles, throttle position, braking and shifts.
It would be redundant to have the TFT display info from the Nav. The TFT only connects to your phone for Navigation info for those who do not have a Nav unit.
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline Huge701

• GS Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 10:13:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by richardbd [+]
I donít bother with any of that nonsense. I connect Nav6 to helmet and phone to Nav6 and thatís it. All works fine and Nav6 is controlled by the wonder wheel.  What more could a chap want/need?

I like the appearance of the TFT screen but itís far too clever for its own good. Itís coming to something when you need to RTFM to rest the trip meter  :087:
Agreed mine doesn't work with anything, other than power supply from the plug powering it up no wonder wheel or data transfer .
Huge701

Offline Huge701

• GS Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 10:44:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider [+]
The Nav does NOT connect to the TFT! It connects to the bike to get all the info such as lean angles, throttle position, braking and shifts.
It would be redundant to have the TFT display info from the Nav. The TFT only connects to your phone for Navigation info for those who do not have a Nav unit.
I realize  that it doesn't connect even though I did say connect I meant does it have to be activated through the tft or ecu NOT Ebay as I typo  :745: to connect to the bike as mine still has no connection.Only power. I get no DATA  no wonder wheel to the NAVIGATOR
When I picked up the bike the sales guy struggled to connect my phone to the bloody tft I stood outside waiting for someone to come but figured that out myself and buggered off . That is why I ask, as asking a sales guy is hit and miss ( I'm going back in OCT so will ask a tech if it has to be activated.
KTM has hardware fitted to bikes that has to be activated at cost, I took out a 890 Adventure and it had the quickshifter sitting there no working and cruise buttons no working when I asked it was a load of cash just to activate!  I
t may be BMW activate the connection with the bike when Prep is ordered , in my case it was retro fitted .

Huge701

Offline Huge701

• GS Member
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 11:00:35 PM »
I might try this guys setting up as you can see the tft shows the NAV is connected on the TFT By the nav symbol at 53.51 to 53.52.
Mind you I could be barking wrong again  :192:
« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 11:02:14 PM by Huge701 »
Huge701

Offline richardbd

• GS Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 11:45:46 PM »
I might try this guys setting up as you can see the tft shows the NAV is connected on the TFT By the nav symbol at 53.51 to 53.52.
Mind you I could be barking wrong again  :192:

Iím confused Huge. What are you actually trying to achieve here, in terms of what connects to what and why?

Offline Huge701

• GS Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 10:37:52 AM »
I am not conveying the issue properly
My sat nav will not connect to the bike
The navigator V should  have interaction with the bike. connect to the wonder wheel etc .
Mine isnít connecting , because folk on here navigators work fine it feels like they probably think I have it wrong and Iím confusing the integrated app with Navigator  , trust me I know how the nav is supposed to work it worked exactly as it should with my 1200 . If you were here standing by the bike trying the nav you would know immediately it is not .
Iíve been in contact with BMW technical over the weekend to see if they can shed some light on it .
Hopefully if they get back to me I can share it here.
I just found someone else with the same issue on adventure forum I have tried cleaning mine Iíll try it again
https://advrider.com/f/threads/wonder-wheel-does-not-operate-the-nav-vi.1454473/
Huge701