BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Crash bars effectiveness  (Read 1399 times)

Offline WorldCitizen

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS Rallye
  • Town / City: Palmela
Crash bars effectiveness
« on: September 16, 2021, 11:34:59 AM »
Hi,
I'm looking at some crashbars, I think I'm going with the Hepco&Becker, but I was just wondering. Many brands (GIVI, Puig, SW Motech, etc) sell only lower bars and no option for uppers like H&B, Touratech, etc. Does the upper bar really make that much of a difference or if the bike has lower crash bars and decent handguards, it's unlikely to damage the upper fairing?

Offline alin156

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Bucharest
Re: Crash bars effectiveness
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 07:29:39 AM »
I'd say it depends on where you ride it. I dropped my 750 on tarmac and gravel roads and didn't have a scratch on the bike itself (wunderlich lower bars and barkbusters), as there was quite some distance between fairing and ground.

If i were to go on more rocky
/ technical terrain, upper ones might be needed

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Pro
  • Bike: BMW F850GS
  • Town / City: Białystok
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 08:21:35 AM »
Uppers definitely needed for offroad as the top parts of the bike commonly get into contact with uneven terrain.

I'm rocking outback motorteks. Quite happy with them.

But be wary, if you plan on a skidplate, then make sure it's compatible with your bars otherwise you might need to do some mods to skidplates to get them to fit.
As for the fear of falling...learn to love and cherish the experience. You want it. You need it. You can't wait for the next hit.

Offline WorldCitizen

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS Rallye
  • Town / City: Palmela
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2021, 08:56:26 AM »
I might be getting everything as a set. I called local dealer for the bars and I actually noticed that their handguards are cool, as it's two irons that go on the outside of the stock plastic handguards, allowing you to keep them and also add the smoked extenders. I don't like the look of barkbusters that much.
By getting both bars and handguards, they'll give me a nice discount, so I might ask for the skidplate as well as price is on par with others and this way I'll know it will fit. The alternative would be Heed for price reasons, but it looks too bulky, might not even fit properly with the bars as you say and with the discount price might not be that different. :)

Thank you both for the help.

Offline GSArt

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Denver
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2021, 02:56:34 PM »
Definitely depends on where you ride.  My old Triumph XCx only had lowers and for most level type surfaces it was okay.  It was only off-road with undulating terrain or rocks that I wished I had uppers.  I ride my 850 off-road so it has upper and lower bars

Offline Goback

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Stanislaus
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2021, 10:35:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Grizzlie [+]
Uppers definitely needed for offroad as the top parts of the bike commonly get into contact with uneven terrain.

I'm rocking outback motorteks. Quite happy with them.

But be wary, if you plan on a skidplate, then make sure it's compatible with your bars otherwise you might need to do some mods to skidplates to get them to fit.

Have you had any issues with the Outback’s not being high enough? I’m trying to decide between the Outback’s and the Heed Bunker bars.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 11:19:37 PM by Goback »

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Pro
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 10:16:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Goback [+]
Have you had any issues with the Outback’s not being high enough? I’m trying to decide between the Outback’s and the Heed Bunker bars.

So far none. The Outback's paired with Barkbusters do quite a nice job. The Heed's were quite high on the list when I was initially looking.
As for the fear of falling...learn to love and cherish the experience. You want it. You need it. You can't wait for the next hit.

Offline Goback

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Stanislaus
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 10:18:45 PM »
Yeah the problem now is the outbacks aren’t available and last I heard won’t be for a few months

Offline rmcfadd2

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Tempe,AZ
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 12:58:57 PM »
I got my Outback motor from MX!WESt in about three days, about two weeks ago.  Easy install, took me about two hours, working slow, and drinking coffee.  Finished up with kuryakin offset tour pegs so I can stretch my 68 year old legs.

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Pro
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2021, 07:12:22 PM »
Sounds like it was an awesome Zen moment. Did all the holes align up? I had to elbow-grease (file down) one of the bottom bracket holes about 2-3mm.