BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: New F850 GSA - question on front fork behavior  (Read 632 times)

Online seldredg

• GS Member
  • Bike: 2021 BMW F850 GSA
  • Town / City: La Honda, CA
New F850 GSA - question on front fork behavior
« on: September 03, 2021, 04:47:40 AM »
The first time I hit the front brakes I was pitched forward harshly as the front dove excessively, in my opinion. With a little softer touch on the brakes and being ready I got used to it, but the front end really seems too soft, even for the street, but especially for a bike that is supposed to be able to go off road. I wondered if the forks had too little oil in them.

How much of what is required? Does my front end sound normal?

Ride aware.

Online seldredg

• GS Member
Re: New F850 GSA - question on front fork behavior
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 07:16:14 AM »
I was Googling information on upgrades to the 850 fork and got led back to this forum in a thread that answer my question. Sad, but ok. More mods coming.
Ride aware.

Offline Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 08:17:03 AM »
Yes, as you have discovered, it’s a combination of the 21” front wheel and so longer forks, long suspension travel and fundamentally cheap unadjustable suspension components. It is amusing that in the UK the 850GSA is now close to the price that the R1200GS LC was available for on release in 2013. I had one and found it too tall, very top heavy at a standstill and overkill for my needs, but it seems to sell well, so there’s clearly a market for it. The 750GS is IMHO a better road bike in every way and I get 230 miles out of a tank easily, so I don’t miss the GSA one bit.

Offline EThor

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS Adv Rallye X
  • Town / City: Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2021, 10:27:32 AM »
Hi guys,

"21” front wheel and so longer forks, long suspension travel" is actually a good thing, for Adventure bike/ off road handling. 21" is the first choice for all professional off-road racing, like motocross and enduro, and has wide range in availability, dual motorcycles front tyres. Sadly the OEM forks are not "adjustable" like the predecessor the BMW F800GSA, same thing. The BMW F850GSA OEM forks are WP forks, I don't think they would be called "cheap" but they do not have preload or rebound settings.   

My advise to "seldredg": You can upgrade the forks (fork), that's what I did. My choice was to buy "X-TREME Fork Cartridges for BMW F850 GS ADV" from "Tractive Suspension" - Single Fork Leg Only. You can buy this from Tractive Suspension in Holland/Netherlands. This suspension factory (prior WP factory/team that has been bought by KTM/Husqvarna and moved to Austria) makes the BMW Fork Cartridges also, for and under the name Touratech, that's another option for you (same product), might cost a bit more though.

I get what you are saying about the forks, my issue was bottoming-out in off-road riding. And yes, too soft while braking into corners. I really like the new suspension, still playing with the settings, definitely what I was looking for.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 10:30:48 AM by EThor »
2019 BMW F850GS Adventure Rallye X, 2018 Husqvarna FX350, 1999 Husqvarna TE610E.

Offline Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2021, 11:53:54 AM »
Yes, you’re right. Right back from the F650GS 14-15 years ago and probably before that, and long before ESA made it into the midrange bikes, BMW twins have had non-adjustable front suspension. To be fair a lot of comparable bikes also have no adjustment, or only have preload and maybe rebound damping, but no matter which brand, a fork upgrade kit is not massively expensive and may transform the ride.

Online seldredg

• GS Member
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2021, 06:34:49 PM »
Thanks all. Good information. I've decided to go with the TracTive X-TREME Fork Cartridge Kit. Can get locally from Ted Porter's Beemershop.
Ride aware.

Offline netaron

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Scottsdale, AZ
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2021, 03:27:01 PM »
I think it is one of the major reasons why the 850 isn't in the same league as a 790 advR or the like. I experienced a pogo-action bounce with barely any pressure on the handlebars coming to a hard stop from 75mph on tarmac. I believe Andreani also make cartridge inserts that will address many of the suspension shortcomings.

Offline MikeOC

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F-750 GS
  • Town / City: Spokane, WA
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2021, 06:06:12 PM »
IMO, I repeat IMO, the gold standard of suspension is on BMW's R1250GS, or S1000XR, which has both front & rear electronic suspension (no noticeable fork dive under heavy breaking). Anyway, I do miss my previous BMW R's which had front telelever suspension and my recent S1000XR, which had full electronic suspension.

As for my F-750GS, (for me) the non adjustable front forks aren't bad "7/ 10". however to make them better would require a set of aftermarket progressive springs, which are around $150 to $200ish, which I hear makes for a "very good" improvement, much less initial front fork dive under heavy breaking.

Mike

Offline Kalhas

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Edmonton
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 06:11:49 PM »
I did go to the Tractive on my 2019 this summer and i can assure you , you won't regret it.  in my opinion the 850 NEEDS a rehaul on the front. BMW cheaped out on the front suspension

Online seldredg

• GS Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 06:20:26 PM »
Should be picking up my right fork leg with a cartridge insert in the next day or so.
Ride aware.