BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: New Tyre Choice  (Read 841 times)

Offline NEG5

• GS Member
  • Bike: 850 GSA
  • Town / City: Dumfries
New Tyre Choice
« on: August 21, 2021, 02:31:16 PM »
Hi - looking to change to OEM Bridgestone's on the 850 GS A - I'm 100% road (unless something has gone wrong  :008:)
Short list:
Metzeler Tourance Next
Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2
Dunlop Trailsmart Max
Continental Trail Attack 3's

Does anyone have any experience of any of these?
TIA
Lover of 2 wheels & single malt whisky

Offline ornholt2804

• GS Member
  • Bike: BMW F850GS Adv
  • Town / City: STAVANGER
Re: New Tyre Choice
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2021, 04:18:45 PM »
I used the Tourance Next tires for several years on my  old 1200GS and now on my F850gs adv. I like them as they have high milage wear, give you confidence on both dry and wet roads.
Strangely on my  850, the front tire wore out slightly ahead of the rear. I recently put on the Mitas Terraforce-R tires on my bike. Very reasonable prices on Mitas, and so far they perform very well.

Offline alin156

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Bucharest
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 05:12:04 PM »
I got the Pirelli scorpion Trail 2 at the moment. They are great on the road (both dry and wet) and most important (coming from anakee 3) SILENT.
Tried them on some dry gravel roads and didn't have any issues
« Last Edit: August 21, 2021, 05:13:51 PM by alin156 »

Offline Gazza750

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F850GS Adventure
  • Town / City: Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 07:50:37 AM »
I'm having new tyres fitted to my 850Adv ahead of a trip through France, Germany and Austria. I've chosen Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 after reading reviews and doing research online. Apparently they're great for road use, grippy in the wet and dry, and quieter than Anakee 3. 

In fairness I never had any issues with the Anakee tyres and would happily use them again too.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 07:53:10 AM by Gazza750 »

Offline richardbd

• GS Member
  • Town / City: London
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2021, 10:55:21 PM »
Wooden hoops would be quieter than Anakee 3s, which are without doubt the worst modern-day tyre I’ve ever ridden - having had them on my 1200GS and my 850GS.

On the 1200 I tolerated them until they wore out.  On the 850 I couldn’t stand the noise and binned them after 750 miles.

I also had Anakee Wilds on my Rally Raid CB500X and couldn’t stand them - swapped out after a single day’s ride.

Ever open-minded, on the recommendation of my tyre man, I tried Anakee Adventures on the 850 and whilst they’re not as quiet as a pure road tyre, they’re pretty good.  Noise is tolerable and having ridden them in properly wet and (more recently) greasy road conditions, I reckon they can be trusted too…

Offline Gazza750

• GS Pro
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 08:26:18 AM »
Had the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 fitted and done circa 100 miles to bed them in and I'm pleased to say that they're quieter than the Anakee's, and feel more refined for road use. It's early days, but I'm impressed with the Pirelli's so far and glad I made the switch 😃

Offline ollythefrog

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GSA
  • Town / City: Trevellas
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2021, 08:55:38 AM »
I have been running Adventure A41’s which are awesome. Currently have 8000 miles on them and would be good for at least another two…
Luckily for me Dunlop have sent me a pair of Meridians to review for them on the RiderCamTV YouTube channel.
As I’m off to the Pyrenees in a week I’ll let you know how I get on with them.
Mark
RiderCamTV

Offline Gazza750

• GS Pro
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2021, 09:12:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by ollythefrog [+]
As I’m off to the Pyrenees in a week I’ll let you know how I get on with them.
Mark

Mark - have fun in the Pyrenees! I'm taking my GSA through France, Germany and into Austria next week. Expecting to do circa 3500 miles so should get to know the bike well (and get a proper test of the Pirelli's across a multitude of road types from the autobahn to various mountain twisties). Very excited 😃. Send me a PM if you fancy an offline catch up 👍🏻

Offline MOJO64

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850 GS Rallye
  • Town / City: Xemxija
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 01:56:26 PM »
Ran in my 850 GS Rally last week and just came back from a 2 day trip to Sicily. 830 kms in all, on dry, wet winding roads and Motorway. I think the tires work well in both Dry and Wet... The Noise at between 100 and 112 Kms per hour is sometimes unbearable. I had a Triumph Tiger Rally Pro which had Bridgestone Battlax A41's on it... Awesome tires and silent. And I had Pirelli Scorpion Trail II on my Super Tenere. Also awesome tires as regards handling and noise.. What other options can one recommend please? The 2 I mentioned are high on my list... But open to suggestion. I'm off to Southern Italy for 9 days in a moth's time and I don't think I can take the Anakee 3's for that long. Pity cause they're still new.
Always a biker forever.

Offline ollythefrog

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GSA
  • Town / City: Trevellas
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 03:36:07 PM »
Dunlop Meridains are being fitted to my bike this week.
M
RiderCamTV