BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Hello from Nashville! New Owner 750GS  (Read 410 times)

Offline FlipperDonQ

• GS Member
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Nashville, TN
Hello from Nashville! New Owner 750GS
« on: July 27, 2021, 05:32:14 PM »
Greetings to everyone from Nashville TN USA! Owning a motorcycle has been on my life-long bucket list, and have finally taken the plunge.  Took 2 day safety training class, am licensed up and heavily insured (happy wife....).  Found a 2019 F750GS locally with 2k miles and nice accessories. Researching and getting all my riding gear and farkles in place. Spending more than I imagined  :005: Wow - but looking forward to some adventures - Tail of the Dragon is on my list.  :007: Anyone else done that ride?
We travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us.

Offline DaveF850GS

• GS Member
  • Bike: 2019 F850GS
  • Town / City: Jacksonville Florida
Re: Hello from Nashville! New Owner 750GS
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 06:10:17 PM »
Welcome to the motorcycle obsession.   :400:  Once you enter this world it is almost impossible to leave.  As a new rider I only stress training and practice then continue it throughout your riding career.  Sounds like you are off to a great start.

I have ridden the Tail of the Dragon many times.  It is a very tight and technical road with 318 curves in 11 miles filled with people of varying skill levels.  Not a road for beginners.    :110:

The adventure begins when the plan fails

Offline FlipperDonQ

• GS Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 06:21:18 PM »
Thanks much, DaveF850GS. Yes, I don't plan to tackle the Tail anytime soon, but I like having goals  :305:. Do you find you are able to ride the twistys with side panniers on just as well as with top only? I appreciate the welcome and feedback.

Offline DaveF850GS

• GS Member
  • Bike: 2019 F850GS
  • Town / City: Jacksonville Florida
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 06:43:42 PM »
I do not find side panniers an issue on twisty roads.  For me the issue is not the panniers but how much weight you carry and where the weight is located on the bike.  Limit the weight you carry and place the weight as low on the bike as possible.  In other words, heavy items in bottom of the panniers and light items in the top box.  Carrying heavy loads in a top box can be challenging.  Puts the weight up high and behind the rear axle....Not a good combination for good handling.  Enjoy the ride.
The adventure begins when the plan fails

Offline FlipperDonQ

• GS Member
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2021, 06:46:39 PM »
Great info DaveF850GS - thanks.

Offline Mattnjo

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: F750 GS TE
  • Town / City: Maldon
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2021, 10:28:07 PM »
Nice bike, Iíve just returned after a 30 year break from biking and picked the 750 too.   Have fun, I am👍

Offline FlipperDonQ

• GS Member
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 11:23:12 PM »
Nice to hear from you Mattnjo!  Glad to be in the camp with you. Happy riding to you also!