BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Which seat is the best?  (Read 412 times)

Offline leo1

• GS Junior Member
Which seat is the best?
« on: July 21, 2021, 10:59:50 PM »
So I just got a 2019 F850GS and must say this is by far the worse seat I have ever sat on and on top of it it slides you forward constantly. Money aside what is the best seat you can get for these I am willing to spend more to get good quality and comfort. So far browsing this forum I see Sargent & Wunderlich as the top quality ones and seat concepts seems nice but not really wanting to do the work of re foaming it.

My question is what is the best I am leaning towards wunderlich but it is delayed 4-6 weeks unless I order the tall version thats .15mm higher I am 5'10" you guys think I would have an issue with the tall version?

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
Re: Which seat is the best?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2021, 08:09:35 AM »
Seats are quite a personal thing. One personís uncomfortable is anotherís perfect seat. It does seem that the stock seat on the 750/850GS comes in for almost universal dislike. The ďComfortĒ seat is taller but rounded, no more comfortable and splays your legs. Iíd imagine either the Sargent or the Wunderlich seats would be a great improvement. Iíve tried a Touratech/Kahedo seat on a 1200GSA and it was rock hard, and made the bike so tall because of its width it went straight back. I have the Wunderlich and itís great - narrow at the front, flat and supportive padding. And it looks great and fits into the seat mechanism better than the OEM seat, go figure!

Offline GWalker

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Dundee
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 11:03:31 AM »
I bought the Wunderlich low comfort seat. It maybe doubles the time I'm comfortable in the saddle, but it's certainly not all day comfortable. Maybe 2 hours before the a33 ache starts to get noticeable?

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2021, 12:58:50 PM »
If you are happy with the general height of the seat try a pair of https://motoskiveez.com/.
They give you extra padding that may do the trick for you... They are designed for motorcycles so they are better than bicycle shorts.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 01:05:52 PM by SnoDrtRider »
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline ruggles57

• GS Junior Member
  • Bike: 2021 F850GS 40th
  • Town / City: New Braunfels
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2021, 01:33:14 PM »
I've only used the BMW and Sargent seats so I have no comparative data but the Sargents are great.
They were having a delay because of seat pins but I think they cleared their supply line problem. They
also allow different color piping and stitching if you want to stay with a color scheme.

Offline leo1

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2021, 07:52:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Matty589 [+]
Seats are quite a personal thing. One personís uncomfortable is anotherís perfect seat. It does seem that the stock seat on the 750/850GS comes in for almost universal dislike. The ďComfortĒ seat is taller but rounded, no more comfortable and splays your legs. Iíd imagine either the Sargent or the Wunderlich seats would be a great improvement. Iíve tried a Touratech/Kahedo seat on a 1200GSA and it was rock hard, and made the bike so tall because of its width it went straight back. I have the Wunderlich and itís great - narrow at the front, flat and supportive padding. And it looks great and fits into the seat mechanism better than the OEM seat, go figure!

Which version did you get the standard is backordered I am thinking of doing the tall version as it is just 15mm higher. Is the standard seat about the same height as the stock standard seat I was thinking because the Wunderlich is narrower as you say maybe your feet touch the ground better?

Offline leo1

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2021, 07:56:59 PM »
*Originally Posted by SnoDrtRider [+]
If you are happy with the general height of the seat try a pair of https://motoskiveez.com/.
They give you extra padding that may do the trick for you... They are designed for motorcycles so they are better than bicycle shorts.

Thanks for sharing but honestly what probably bugs me the most is the seat wants to slide you forward into the tank I am guessing because the lack of grip on it. I will give these a try as they couldn't hurt while I wait for a new seat!

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2021, 08:22:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by leo1 [+]
Thanks for sharing but honestly what probably bugs me the most is the seat wants to slide you forward into the tank I am guessing because the lack of grip on it. I will give these a try as they couldn't hurt while I wait for a new seat!

The stock regular seat as well as the stock comfort seat have a pronounced forward slant and the comfort seat is anything but. I put a Seat Concepts foam and cover on my Comfort Seat pan which lowered the height to somewhere between the stock regular height seat and the stock comfort seat as the stock comfort and the rally seat share the same pan which is marked as "High" underneath. The Seat Concepts was a lot more comfortable and took the forward tilt out allowing me to sit back without sliding forward but was too low for me. I installed a set of Tour a Tech lowered footrests which helped but my hips would still bother me after 3-4 hours in the saddle so I ordered the Sargent Rally/Enduro seat which is the tallest seat available without going custom. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet but my legs are at more of an angle with my knees below my hips at a more comfortable angle. I figure between the Sargent and the foot rests I picked up a good couple inches of leg room.

As you can see the Seat Concepts has a pronounced pocket that keeps you from sliding forward...

I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...