BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Restarting In Gear  (Read 343 times)

Offline Skinny

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: N Ireland
Restarting In Gear
« on: July 18, 2021, 11:09:35 AM »
I came from a Suzuki V Strom 1000 and recently changed to a 2021 F850GS.

Question: If the bike cuts out, say when pulling away from lights and you need to restart, why can it not be restarted in gear whilst pulling in the clutch? I must have got a bit lazy with the throttle as the V Strom has a mechanism to automatically stop it cutting out. Having to move into neutral in the middle of a busy junction can quicken the heart rate. I have had numerous previous BMWs and never experienced this problem.

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
Re: Restarting In Gear
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 11:51:22 AM »
Something is wrong... I can restart in gear with the clutch pulled in.
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline Skinny

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2021, 12:16:13 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Hmm..... I wonder then if it is one of these programable things? :187:

Online Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2021, 01:01:34 PM »
Iíd very much doubt it. Iím a previous long-term Suzuki owner and start/restart with clutch pulled in and in gear out of habit. Iíve never had an issue on any BMW Iíve owned (650/700/800/1000XR/1200RS/1200GS/GSA and more recently 750/850GS). What happens when it cuts out? Is it ignition left on and pressing the ignition button again? And does it attempt to start or do you get nothing?

Online MCMXCIVRS

• GS Member
  • Town / City: CALGARY
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2021, 04:11:34 PM »
Sounds like you have a problem with the clutch switch, either out of adjustment or defective.

Offline Skinny

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2021, 04:50:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Matty589 [+]
Iíd very much doubt it. Iím a previous long-term Suzuki owner and start/restart with clutch pulled in and in gear out of habit. Iíve never had an issue on any BMW Iíve owned (650/700/800/1000XR/1200RS/1200GS/GSA and more recently 750/850GS). What happens when it cuts out? Is it ignition left on and pressing the ignition button again? And does it attempt to start or do you get nothing?

My brain dump re a possible programable "thing" was on the off chance that there may be some benefit for green-laning or the like. Despite having owned circa 8 GS none of them have ever been off road.

I would do exactly as you now and what i would have done previously....ignition is still live, pull in the clutch and hit the start button. when I do this now the bike doesn't start and you have to find neutral to get it going.

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2021, 05:19:30 PM »
Yep sounds like a bad clutch switch or wiring... I would follow the wire down to where it plugs into the main harness and make sure it's connected. You would think you would get a message on the TFT... You may have a fault code and not know it.

Offline Skinny

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 05:28:17 PM »
The bike just had it's first service and I was told that there were no faults showing.

Thanks for all the replies. I will speak to BMW Dealership for their comments.

Offline Skinny

• GS Junior Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2021, 08:21:43 PM »
Well I took the advice and went in to my garage to trace the wire back from the clutch prior to speaking to the dealer.

Low and behold I found a loose connection on a cable running just below the clutch cable right at the lever. As I said earlier the bike had just had its first service and I had asked that they move the hand guards up about a quarter of an inch. Could it be that the dealership in doing this inadvertently disconnected this cable? The answer is .....probably.

I don't believe in recriminations so as long as it is fixed then that is the main thing.

Thanks to everyone for their input well done 850GS.com :305: :047:

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2021, 12:01:10 AM »
I was just down in the garage and remembered this post... Yes there is a connection right at the switch which you apparently found :046: