BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: BMW F750GS Shift Assist Pro  (Read 862 times)

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS 2020
  • Town / City: Dundee
BMW F750GS Shift Assist Pro
« on: July 11, 2021, 03:10:40 PM »
Does anyone know if it is possible to add the BMW Shift Assist Pro to an F750GS after market?
-----------------------------------------
No Fate But What We Make

------------------------------------------

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
Re: BMW F750GS Shift Assist Pro
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 04:12:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by B0M0A0K [+]
Does anyone know if it is possible to add the BMW Shift Assist Pro to an F750GS after market?

Yes it is but the dealer needs to enable it once installed.
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2021, 04:49:12 PM »
 :028:
No Fate But What We Make

Offline Yorks_Rider

• GS Pro
  • Bike: F750GS
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2021, 08:57:19 AM »
Unless you have money to burn, I would not bother. The hardware alone costs 488 EUR, then on top of that you have installation and the cost of the "software activation code" from BMW.
I have it on my bike. It is OK, but it has its limitations and is a luxury I could perfectly manage without.

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2021, 09:01:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by Yorks_Rider [+]
Unless you have money to burn, I would not bother. The hardware alone costs 488 EUR, then on top of that you have installation and the cost of the "software activation code" from BMW.
I have it on my bike. It is OK, but it has its limitations and is a luxury I could perfectly manage without.

Thanks for this. I am fine with manual gear changes but was interested to see if it could be done, what it would cost etc. All of which have been answered in this thread. Thanks again.
No Fate But What We Make

Offline Grizzlie

• GS Pro
  • Bike: BMW F850GS
  • Town / City: Białystok
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2021, 09:37:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Yorks_Rider [+]

I second this. It comes in handy when I'm off-road and need that shift but the left hand is a little pre-occupied with keeping me attached to the handlebars...
As for the fear of falling...learn to love and cherish the experience. You want it. You need it. You can't wait for the next hit.

Offline MikeOC

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F-750 GS
  • Town / City: Spokane, WA
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 10:16:49 PM »
I wish BMW could make the quick-shifter on the 750/ 850 as seamless & smooth "at any RPM range, both up and down" as it was on my previous S1000XR (I'd be a happy camper). My experience with the quick-shifter on my 750 is, 1st-3rd gear is clunky (unless under hard acceleration), 4th-6th gear works "very good" (not perfect) in any RPM range. Down-shifting from 6th to 1st works very close to "perfect" in any RPM range.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2021, 10:17:58 PM by MikeOC »

Offline Rogert

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GSA
  • Town / City: Middletown NJ
Re: BMW F750GS Shift Assist Pro BROKE 3 TIMES
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2021, 11:53:30 PM »
I have taken my F850GSA 2019 back to the dealer in NJ three times. I quit working at 9K miles the 9.5K and again at 15K. The first time they replaced the entire unit and wiring at a cost of $1000 (they said) under warrantee. 500 miles later when it happened again the deal found it was a broken wire in the flexible plastic tube which goes the the shift mechanism to ??   That fixed the problem until about 15K. They quickly analyzed the problem (learning from past experience with my bike) and soldered?? or repaired the wire again. They said the wire flexes and is designed too short.   Other than being a novelty when shifting or showing someone,   I found a minimum relaxation in the throttle does the same thing .  After Warrantee period, I will not pay to repair it again.

Offline B0M0A0K

• GS Pro
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 08:39:49 AM »
At this point I'm pretty convinced that not choosing this when I set up the bike configuration from the factory was the right thing to do. My local dealer never replied in any case so all the indicators here are to let it go. It was always just a fact finding mission in any case.
No Fate But What We Make

Offline SHAG

• GS Junior Member
  • Town / City: Bradford
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2021, 02:44:11 AM »
When I started working for the Yamaha dealer in 1972 at 15 years old, the guy said that the clutch was for starting and stopping.  He rode me on the back of a 250 Enduro to show me. Been doing it that way since.
My first shaft drive bike was an XS1100E and I usually used the clutch from 1st to 2nd and back to first.  That was the first and only bike that I had to replace a shift fork and 2 gears. (Yes, I did that myself).   And after 2 more Japanese and 3 BMWs with shaft drive and a bunch of chain drive trail bikes, I now have a 750GS with Shift assist !   I really like it, but it would not be a significant upgrade on a chain drive bike that came without it. 

« Last Edit: August 02, 2021, 02:44:56 AM by SHAG »
F750GS Premium
Yamaha X-Max