BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: Under top case toolbox  (Read 632 times)

Offline WorldCitizen

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS Rallye
  • Town / City: Palmela
Under top case toolbox
« on: June 24, 2021, 03:14:16 PM »
Hi,

For those only installing a top case with a Givi SRA 5127, has anyone installed a small tool box under the top case plate? Does it fit anything useful? Did you find anything that fits there or did you make your own toolbox?

I'm going to take measurements after installing the rack, if the space is of any use, I'll try to get a 3D printed box or maybe make it myself with some acrylic or bent aluminum sheet and fiberglass.

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
Re: Under top case toolbox
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2021, 07:43:09 PM »
A couple suppliers make a bag that fits in the space...

I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline WorldCitizen

• GS Member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2021, 10:00:47 PM »
Yeah, I saw one from Givi and another one from Acerbis, but tools might very well be the most expensive thing I leave on the bike aside from helmets. Of course plastic is breakable but a locked box will lower the chances.

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2021, 12:52:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by WorldCitizen [+]
Yeah, I saw one from Givi and another one from Acerbis, but tools might very well be the most expensive thing I leave on the bike aside from helmets. Of course plastic is breakable but a locked box will lower the chances.

After your post I went down to the garage and looked at options.
 I had a tail bag that I had on one of my old enduro bikes and I stuffed my main tool kit, a roll of electrical tape and a few pairs of rubber gloves into it.
  It fits under the rack if you insert it from the front with the seat off with no way of pulling it out from the rear. Someone would need to remove the seat to get to it. I will be starting another thread based on your lead about finding and utilizing wasted and hidden storage space on the bikes...
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline WorldCitizen

• GS Member
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2021, 06:39:00 AM »
Yup, that's the idea if I print or build it myself, to have the seat act as a second lock.

Another alternative is to mount it in front of the engine, on the bash guard or crash bars (I have neither). If it looks like an engine component, like a coolant box or something, it won't attract attention.

Touratech has one that fits over the gear lever, between their crash bars and engine with a top opening. But I still don't have crash bars and I don't think I'm going with Touratech.