BMW F850GS Forum

Please login or register.

News: A big welcome to all new members !

Author [NL] [FR] [ES] [DE] [SE] [IT] [NO] [MY] Topic: "sticky" clutch on a 850 GSA  (Read 1323 times)

Offline SwartGevaar

• GS Junior Member
"sticky" clutch on a 850 GSA
« on: May 24, 2021, 09:25:42 AM »
Question -

Has anyone else found that their clutch "sticky" at times? What I mean is that it feels very notchy and occasionally (say 3 out of every 10 times) when pulling away that there is a noticeable jerk when releasing the clutch and it hits the friction zone?

It may very well be that I've been spoilt over the years using hydraulic clutches and this is just a quirk of the BMW gearbox.  :034:

Offline Oldplodder

• GS Pro
  • Bike: KLE 650
  • Town / City: Buckley
Re: "sticky" clutch on a 850 GSA
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 12:45:50 PM »
It sounds like the standard clutch on the F850GS that I have -  it is apparently a side issue of the quick-shifter.
Maintain the clutch cable and adjustments properly and you can reduce it but I don't think it will ever go away.

Thers may come up with different opinions.

Dave T
I wish I was as good as my dog thinks I am

Offline GSArt

• GS Member
  • Town / City: Denver
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2021, 02:05:45 PM »
Very Interesting to to read this as I experience the same thing on my 2021 F850GS.  Every now and then when I pull in the clutch it's "clicky".   It doesn't appear to affect function, just that weird feedback.  I was going to have the dealer check it, but if it's normal.   Good to know and I won't worry about it!

Online Biostrom

• GS Member
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: Mountain Maryland
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 08:52:02 PM »
My 2019 F850GS has the same weird feel.  I read elsewhere it's an artifact of the slipper clutch mechanism.  My wife's CB500X has a slipper clutch and also has a strange uneven feel in it's travel.

Offline richardbd

• GS Member
  • Town / City: London
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 09:20:33 PM »
*Originally Posted by GSArt [+]
Very Interesting to to read this as I experience the same thing on my 2021 F850GS.  Every now and then when I pull in the clutch it's "clicky".   It doesn't appear to affect function, just that weird feedback.  I was going to have the dealer check it, but if it's normal.   Good to know and I won't worry about it!

Same thing here. 21 GS.  No quickshifter.  Clicky is exactly how I’d describe it...

Offline Matty589

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 2019 F750GS
  • Town / City: Surrey
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 09:35:52 PM »
“They all do that” is a dealer cliché that in this case is actually true. I’ve done a touch over 6K miles on my 750 and it feels better than when new, but still sticky/clicky occasionally.

Offline SnoDrtRider

• GS Master
  • Bike: F850GS
  • Town / City: South Jersey, USA
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2021, 01:02:58 AM »
I have the same issue but learned to live with it...
 Seems that every once in a while when releasing the clutch it feels like something is binding like the cable or pivots.
I disconnected the cable on both ends and pushed the cable back and forth in the housing and it felt fine. I figured that maybe the ends of the cable were fetching up in the clutch arm at the engine or at the handlebar lever so I inspected both for signs of wear/galling and both looked fine. I lubed the ends at both the handlebar and engine release levers and the feeling did not go away. This was 13,000 miles ago and it is still the same.
I don't know where we are... but I have been lost here before...

Offline Newguy

• GS Pro
  • Bike: 850 GS
  • Town / City: Bellingham
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2021, 09:27:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by SwartGevaar [+]
Question -

Has anyone else found that their clutch "sticky" at times? What I mean is that it feels very notchy and occasionally (say 3 out of every 10 times) when pulling away that there is a noticeable jerk when releasing the clutch and it hits the friction zone?

It may very well be that I've been spoilt over the years using hydraulic clutches and this is just a quirk of the BMW gearbox.  :034:
You are imagining it, the 850 has a quirky clutch and you've not really learned it yet. Give it time..

If you were referencing the QS on the 850, yeah it's a tad jerky during transitions but it works.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 09:29:32 PM by Newguy »